Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Land Rover Extended Warranty- scandalous waste of money!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Land Rover Extended Warranty- scandalous waste of money!

Just wanted to highlight my recent dealings with the genuine Land Rover Extended Warranty which will allow others to decide whether to take out the policy or not....

I own a D3 G4 and as such was a great advocate of Land Rover products...and due to the well known issues of the D3 engine I had taken out the approved genuine Land Rover Extended Warranty...

This warranty is the top of the range one that has no upper repair limit...it will repair to the value of the vehicle insured. However for that cover it is damned expensive at £1180 per year!
To put that into perspective this is three times the cost of my annual road insurance cost for the same vehicle...

This month my air conditioning failed...typically being the hottest month of the year it was almost impossible to drive as on the G4 the sunroof is blanked off because of the roof racks..

It got booked into my local dealers who diagnosed perforated aircon lines to the rear aircon unit... great I said I have the genuine Extended Land Rover Warranty can you repair it please....
Only to be told the warranty company has refused the claim because they don’t cover rust! The warranty company claim the pipes had rusted though and don’t cover that..

Despite scouring the warranty booklet I could find no mention of refusing any claim through corrosion...when challenging the company over this I was referred to the line...

‘ deterioration such as discolouration alteration or deforming of parts due to normal aging’

Discolouration … ‘the process of changing to a different less attractive colour’ (stain,mark,patch,streak, spot, blotch)

Alteration…. ‘ the action or process of altering or being altered’ (change, adjustment, adaption, modification, variation)

Deforming … ‘ distort the shape of, make mis- shapen’ (misshape, contort, buckle, twist, warp, maim injure)

No where does it say corrosion or rust... I didn’t think aluminium pipes did rust...

Currently complained and I await but JLR have washed their hands of it despite it being the official OEM Warranty....

This type of fault is exactly why I took out this policy in the first place.. now I wish to make a claim they have repudiated it by a questionable choice of words which gives them carte Blanche to avoid paying out...

I have now written to them three times, all of which have been ignored...

I will update you all with their final response but it appears that the Land Rover Extended Warranty is not worth the fancy OEM brochure that it is printed on!

If you think taking out this expensive policy will cover you then please think again.... Very Happy

Post #197290811th Aug 2018 8:20 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not replacing rear AC pipes? A mere bagatelle, wait til the crank goes. Whistle Whistle

Post #197291311th Aug 2018 8:46 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Exactly... Shocked

Post #197291411th Aug 2018 8:51 am
Pelyma

England 

Shocking. I don’t know how LR can wash their hands of it as they have endorsed the product giving it their name and they have sold it. The pipe hasn’t discoloured or deformed it has oxidised and broken. I’d go to the ombudsman. How much have you spent on new LRs in the last 10 years? It doesn’t make sense to lose a profitable loyal customer over this.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #197291811th Aug 2018 9:11 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Doesn’t surprise me, I’ve heard lots of tales of woe with LR extended warranty and LR washing their hands of it. They might give their name to it, but claim it’s not run by them. Expensive and they are inclined to wriggle out of claims.

On that basis, you’d have been better off saving the money you paid in a premium for that sort of eventuality. Rolling Eyes

Post #197292511th Aug 2018 9:19 am
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Pelyma wrote:
Shocking. I don’t know how LR can wash their hands of it as they have endorsed the product giving it their name and they have sold it. The pipe hasn’t discoloured or deformed it has oxidised and broken. I’d go to the ombudsman. How much have you spent on new LRs in the last 10 years? It doesn’t make sense to lose a profitable loyal customer over this.

I don't mean to be picky, and it annoys me just as much when warranty companies squirm out of paying, but rust is oxidisation of ferrous metal which then breaks. Aluminium doesn't deteriorate in the same way but it does pit with oxidisation and thin metal will pierce.
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #197293411th Aug 2018 9:41 am
KenR

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

To follow on from Skynet, if they are being pedantic you can play them at their own game. If they are insisting that they will not pay out because of "rust" and the pipes are aluminium then tell them that aluminium cannot rust. As Skynet said it will oxidise (but don't you tell them that, let them try to find that out) but it cannot "rust" (a reddish- or yellowish-brown flaking coating of IRON OXIDE that is formed on IRON OR STEEL by oxidation, especially in the presence of moisture)

Post #197295011th Aug 2018 10:26 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm with KenR on this. If you have the time and inclination (something they may be banking on you not having), then you can be just as pedantic in response.

Alloy does corrode, only ferrous metal rusts. Just go and read up on aircraft corrosion to give yourself some good technical names for alloy corrosion, and make a good case for turning it into a stress crack failure, which is really what has happened. Wink

Ombudsman is a good start.

Post #197297011th Aug 2018 11:40 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

“ deterioration such as discolouration alteration or deforming of parts due to normal ageing “

They could argue that every item including the crank is excluded under “ Deforming of parts “

Post #197297311th Aug 2018 11:58 am
Brooksie69

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I will never buy a LR vehicle again! My Disco4 is just short of 3 years old 38500 miles on the clock. I contacted LR about the windscreen scuttle plastic, it's grey in colour and putting. There responce "outside influence they say I park my car in the sun and use cleaning chemicals and jet wash it. I told them that's what the dealers also do when my car is with them for service or repair! Still will not budge so guess what? Not another penny of my hard earned will ever go to LR. Very poor customer service. What happens to all those with the crank issue. POT LUCK this is a disgrace.
 ...........One life live it..........  
Post #197297611th Aug 2018 12:04 pm
Pelyma

England 

The crank is excluded under a design fault clause according to other claimants.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #197297711th Aug 2018 12:04 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
It doesn’t make sense to lose a profitable loyal customer over this.

It might not from our point of view (as enthusiasts)...

JLR probably don't give a stuff! You (and I for that matter) are probably not the target demographic of Land Rover these days!!
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #197298011th Aug 2018 12:15 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

@Brooksie69: As and when you find another manufacturer that treats all warranty claims fairly and never tries to minimise, or wriggle out of claims, please come back and tell us who it is Thumbs Up

I’ve yet to find one in the last 1.2 million miles and I’d dearly like to know who they are! Wink Laughing
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #197299711th Aug 2018 1:14 pm
Brooksie69

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

KIA Thumbs Up
 ...........One life live it..........  
Post #197300111th Aug 2018 1:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I read that as Killed In Action. Shocked Shocked Appropriate for my old D3 though. Thumbs Up

Post #197300211th Aug 2018 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >