Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Finance, Insurance and Warranties

Land Rover Extended Warranty - Totally Worthless!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
C6REW

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Land Rover Extended Warranty - Totally Worthless!

Hi All,

Thought I would tell you why the LR Extended Warranty is a total joke.

I had a service carried out a few months ago. At the end of the service I was told there was a lot of work to be done. I asked about the work and was told none of it was a problem just normal wear and tear. Would it fail an MOT or was it a problem I asked. The girl in service asked the service manager and he said no not a problem.

They phoned up the warranty company who said it is normal wear and tear so it is not covered. It was however pointed out to me that at MOT time if the wear became that bad it would of course be covered by the MOT part of the warranty. No problems there then!

So I have just come from the dealer and as you might expect the wear was now an MOT failure. However, I was then told, because the dealer contacted the warranty department a few months ago about the 'normal' wear on these parts they would not be covered by the MOT failure warranty!

How is that I asked.
Well, I was told, because the parts have worn they are not a failure so cannot be covered!
But what about the MOT failure warranty I replied.
Well because we told them the parts were worn they are not covered!
Aah says I, so once I drive the vehicle out of the show room no part is covered because it is worn.

We then went on for about 30 minutes going round in circles. Any worn part cannot be covered by an MOT warranty because it is worn!

It is, simply put a big get out clause for the warranty company. I will phone them and explain why I cancelled my next year warranty which I had just paid for. And to let them know I will be in touch with the SMMT.

Land Rover should not be offering this warranty which is, in my opinion worse than that I bought off a back street garage 20 years ago. You know the sort of warranty you reckon was written on a cigarette packet just to make it look good. Well that one was superb compared to this. I never once had a problem getting parts repaired or replaced and being given a courtesy car. Oh and relative terms it was about 1/10th of the cost!

Best regards

Chris

Post #76536122nd Feb 2011 3:41 pm
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Very sorry to hear this. Warranties over 60K can be worthless unless they include wear and tear. Warranty Direct are excellent, cheaper, cover more, and cover wear and tear...
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #76540222nd Feb 2011 5:11 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agree re WD, some peeps have had problems with them but they have been excellent for me. Wear & tear cover is a big plus, too easy a get out for other warranty providers.

Post #76540422nd Feb 2011 5:13 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

"It was however pointed out to me that at MOT time if the wear became that bad it would of course be covered by the MO)T part of the warranty. No problems there then!"

" because the dealer contacted the warranty department a few months ago about the 'normal' wear on these parts they would not be covered by the MOT failure warranty!"

Put these two together and make a case against the dealer - you relied on their representation of being covered and their actions caused your loss of cover. Shame that the most expensive warranty looks to be the least useful.

Personally, I consider these warranties to be a lottery and hence I shall be starting a fourth year (year 7 of ownership) without one.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #76540822nd Feb 2011 5:19 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Problem is dealer can't promise anything on behalf of the warranty company, it has no link with them apart from it sells their product. The LR extended warranty isn't even offered by LR, in the same way LR Insurance isn't, it's Car Care Plan who used to do the Tesco warranty. They will argue it's a bit like a pre-existing medical condition on your holiday insurance, once they are aware of it (and not fixed it as (in their eyes) you should have) then they are not liable for it (again, in their eyes). Good luck though.

Post #76541722nd Feb 2011 5:35 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

DSL wrote:
Problem is dealer can't promise anything on behalf of the warranty company, it has no link with them apart from it sells their product.

Agency.

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #76542622nd Feb 2011 5:53 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Be very surprised if there is not something specifically in the T&C to say dealer can not act as an agent or bind the WartyCo in any way, even though it was bought through the dealer.

Post #76542922nd Feb 2011 5:56 pm
C6REW

Hi Guys,

Some very valid points there.

I am very disappointed in Land Rover and agree they are acting as an agent, but the dealership is forced to sell this warranty. They should therefore take responsibility and have words with the warranty company or their contacts at Land Rover.

I have decided that I will contact the warranty company tomorrow and see what they have to say for themselves. But I will also follow it up with the SMMT to see what they have to say about it. These companies should not be allowed to get away with what is basically organised crime in my opinion.

Having paid £625 for next year, I was happy to get it back within 30 minutes!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow!

Best regards

Chris

Post #76544322nd Feb 2011 6:19 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Thumbs Up

Post #76544922nd Feb 2011 6:27 pm
C6REW

Hi All,

Well what a farce that was!

When I phoned the warranty company there first reaction was to say that the garage had phoned a few months ago to say the items had failed. So I explained that this was not the case, the parts had worn. Why else whould I not get them replaced at the time!

Then he said he would call me back. Which he did and promptly said that the parts which had failed were not covered by the warranty!

What parts? I ask.
Bushes. He said
But it failed the MOT and I have an MOT failure part to my warranty.
Check the list of items.
But it says quite clearly 'Suspension'
Ah, he replied, but it does not say that bushes are included!
What! I cry very loudly down the phone. So unless a part is listed it is not covered!
That's correct.
Your job is to find any way out of this isn't it?
That is my job yes.

What a con. The whole warranty is totally worthless and they pay peple like this guy to find a neat way out of paying out whenever and however they can.

I will be writing to Mr TH White explaining why they need to have words with Land Rover. They should not be forced into selling a warranty that just does not work.

Best regards

Chris

Post #76630024th Feb 2011 9:22 am
DrLex

Iceland 

Since they undoubtedly record all calls (even if only for "training purposes"), I'd formally request a copy of the call and make it part of any follow-up action you may take. Can't see a small claims court taking against you on that point.

Taken to logical extremes, you'd need to submit a copy of MicroCat and ask which parts they deem not to be covered- perhaps "suspension" only covers items with that name in their title?

Edit: danged autocorrect

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Last edited by DrLex on 24th Feb 2011 2:19 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #76630624th Feb 2011 9:42 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Was the warranty perhaps paid for on a credit card? If so, the consumer protection afforded you by Section 75 of the Consumer Protection Act will get the credit card company's assistance in bashing the warranty company.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #76638424th Feb 2011 2:07 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

@C6REW, It's no help to you now but you have just convinced me not to buy LR extended warranty I was going to pay for next week. I will put the money into a slush fund instead.
So cheers for the heads up Thumbs Up

Post #76639924th Feb 2011 2:34 pm
DigitalJunior

United Kingdom 

Problem with the LR warranty is that it doesn't cover 'wear & tear' and most things that fail can be attributed to 'wear'.

Things like ball joints, bushes etc only covered if they 'fail' altogether.

I found it depends how you tell the dealer and the dealer tells car care plan ltd wording it as a failure not a worn item. Thumbs Up
 SOLD - 23my Range Rover Sport D300 Dynamic SE  
Post #76640724th Feb 2011 2:50 pm
packingstrips

Re: Land Rover Extended Warranty - Totally Worthless!

Unnecessary quote removed

Your bushes etc were not covered by the CCP policy, the reason for this was because they were not a covered item due to wear and tear. Your policy docs will explain this in some detail. The Dealer in question phoned up on your behalf to gain authority...they would have then logged this on their system(CCP). You then leave the bushes ( which was your decision i guess?) and let them run to the mot....am i correct?

The dealer then fails the mot on said bushes which are not covered because it is a known and on going problem which they knew about several months previous. If the bushes that had failed were different to the ones that were noted they would have been covered...end of, because they were already defective they would not, quite rightly ,cover them at mot....im sorry but i dont see the issues here.

Last edited by packingstrips on 24th Feb 2011 9:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #76654124th Feb 2011 8:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >