Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Land Rover Platforms
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Land Rover Platforms

I thought that this thread would live well alongside the thread that I started in early 2013 on LR model codes:- https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/land-rover-...88296.html

I'm sure we are all aware that all future Land Rovers will be built on a “platform” which may be shared with other marques such as Jaguar & Tata. The current platforms, of which I am aware are:-

D7

The D7 platform was developed as the Premium Lightweight Architecture (PLA) aluminium platform for larger vehicles. There are various variants of the D7 including-

D7a - Land Rover Range Rover Velar (L560)

D7u used by the Land Rover Discovery (L462), Land Rover Range Rover Sport (L494) and Land Rover Range Rover (L405) and the D7x developed for the 2020 Land Rover Defender (L663).

D8 (also known as the LR-MS) steel platform is a heavily modified evolution of the Ford EUCD platform, a platform inherited when Land Rover was a subsidiary of Ford. It is used for the Land Rover Discovery Sport, Land Rover Range Rover Evoque (L538)

PTA

The PTA (Premium Transverse Architecture) is a development of the D8 platform which can be used for mild-hybrid, electrified and ICE powertrains. It was first used on the Jaguar E-Pace and then on the second generation Range Rover Evoque and second generation Land Rover Discovery Sport.

MLA

The MLA (Modular Longitudinal Architecture) is an electric platform designed to be used for all-electric drive, plug-in hybrid and mild hybrid vehicles. JLR has ended development of vehicles on the so-called MLA-mid platform, including a full-electric Jaguar XJ sedan and a full-electric Land Rover.

The MLA platform will be now be used solely by large Land Rover SUVs, including the 5th Generation Range Rover on the new MLA-Flex platform

EMA

Electrified Modular Architecture (EMA) is for LR’s future 800-volt technology vehicles from 2024. It is designed for fully electric cars but can also be used for plug-in hybrids and full hybrids and will first be used in the next generation of the Range Rover Evoque and Land Rover Discovery Sport. In other words, there will be no more pure internal combustion engines or mild hybrids on these two models.

As in the case of the other thread to which I have referred I'll endeavour to keep this up to date, and welcome your comments & thoughts.

I don't think I would have chosen "PTA" as a platform !

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #228818716th Apr 2022 1:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >