Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Landy and Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Bello35

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

RDR wrote:
They haven't shown them trying to close the boot with the Great Dane, one of the main reason we canceled ours it gets cramped for her! well and the other two Laughing !

RDR, if they closed the boot, we'd have a Great Dane with Pekingese face! Laughing Laughing

Post #188101318th Nov 2017 8:59 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

you should have seen us at the dealers trying to cram our 3 in the back, the labradors still traumatised Laughing
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #188101618th Nov 2017 9:02 pm
Bello35

What about the salesman? And you didn't even buy the car from him! Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #188102718th Nov 2017 9:17 pm
RDR

The salesman said it first "this isn't going to work is it" Laughing
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Last edited by RDR on 18th Nov 2017 9:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #188102918th Nov 2017 9:19 pm
Dan_NL

Who says you need a 4x4 to move your BIG dog...

Rhodesian ridgeback... .. in a safety harness.. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Post #188103118th Nov 2017 9:30 pm
OJ

Scotland 

DSL wrote:
https://youtu.be/yYBx3SCl8vs

Brilliant Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #188106018th Nov 2017 10:43 pm
RDR

Showed the kids the adverts and decided to reenact it since we have a D5 at the moment our Dane was not quite as keene Laughing

She much prefers the D4

MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #188340725th Nov 2017 9:54 am
Big Al

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I have to agree, I’ve two Bernese Mountain dogs and they only just fit in the boot of the D5. We occasionally have three and that’s a squeeze!
Some might suggest bringing forward the middle row seating to provide greater boot depth, however it leaves a void which I wouldn’t wish my boys to get stuck in, or worse still twist their legs! Once again LR designers didn’t think about that when they had their VR golden retriever in the boot.

My major grumble is the electro-plank, it’s crap! and instead of learning to love it, I despise it more and more. The reason is the majority of the time it stays up on opening the tailgate and the position of the switch to deploy it is difficult to get to with two very large dogs strain8ng to get out.
Of course I could attempt to use the tailgate gesture to open both tailgate and the electro-plank. However you look like a complete pillock stabbing your foot numerous times under the car endeavouring for it to trigger the tailgate and electro-plank to open.
I could use the keyfob to open both, but then the doggies rush to exit their inprisonment in the boot.

LR, as so many have pointed out numerous times before, have missed a trick and fogotten Discovery genes and should have gone with a split tailgate, rather than listening to focus groups wishing for a one piece tailgate to hide unde when it rains. Even if they had s small proper split tailgate (dare I say it as BMW, who I dispose in many, many ways!) it would have been a better solution.
Even if they relocated the electro-plank deployment button it would be a bonus (perhaps on the inside of the tailgate by the tailgate close button, or better the other side so not to get confused with such).

Post #188342425th Nov 2017 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dan_NL

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy FANTASTIC !!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #188342725th Nov 2017 11:08 am
RDR

@Big Al we are with you, cancelled my D5 primarily because of the the dogs. You can slide the seats forward but would have to mess about filling the void plus i have 3 kids too and they complained about the space when forward.

We have 3 dogs that all comfortably fit in the D4 plus we can store ten litres of water in the side pod. The D5 just isn't as big. And as the for plank don't get me started, everyone keeps saying you get used to it but we cant or rather the dogs cant. The GSP just jumps over it and the labrador is scared stiff of it Laughing
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #188343025th Nov 2017 11:25 am
Big Al

RDR I can’t keep half the stuff in the D5 that I used to keep in the many numerous crevices in the D4.

I do so many miles I had to change my D4, which I miss, and too be honest the D5 is the best of as bad bunch: BMW; Q7; Mercand Volvo. They’re all very fancy but really just big cars, whereas the D4 had balls (literally, for those in the know!) and was an incredible piece of real (as opposed to Censored ) Engineering.

The D5 seems to be an inverse tardis, it’s way bigger on the outside than on the inside! Ok it’s quieter but the whole ethos of Discovery was utilitarian in style.

I used to keep bits (tow chain, warning triangle) under the rear seats, and also various blankets/coats, tyre compressor plus two carrier bags worth of stuff in the rear seats floor void and under the middle row seats.
It seems the D5 just has no storage capabilities, and my hope now is LR don’t screw up the Defender replacement, which if they have any clue whatsoever from the dismal D5 debarkle, should really be Defender/D4 replacement, because the D5 is really a RangeRover Sport+

Post #188343725th Nov 2017 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 

Why did you buy it? If it’s that unsuitable.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #188345825th Nov 2017 12:41 pm
Dan_NL

I was at the dealers this week for a day. My preferred dealer is 1.5h drive and it's no use to go home and pick up the car next day as its just 3 hours driving extra...

So I spend a day trying out driving positions in all JLR products. With my 2m and 105Kg I can sit best in a DS.... ..and sit behind my seat as well. The D5 is a nigthmare ; seat far too low and no legroom...

The Velar is better, as the F-Pace is. De RRS2 and RR both are too small as there is no space next to the brake pedal to put my left foot [LHD], as with the D3, DS and F-Pace....

Surprisingly my best sitting position was in the F-Type, as the adjustment of the lumbar support is extremely subtle. The F-Pace is next.

It look like I'll forget the D5 all together : whats the point in buying a two seater 4x4 , with a roadtax bill of € 2500 pa. Better buy an F-type with € 700 roadtax and rent a van on the occasion.. Mr. Green

Post #188346025th Nov 2017 12:44 pm
Bello35

I stopped looking for another alternative to my D4 altogether. Nothing comes close. I'll keep mine forever....and this for sale ad gave me hopes and a smile on my face. Check the mileage:

https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/land-ro...cldtidx=10

Like new! Shocked

Post #188346525th Nov 2017 1:02 pm
Big Al

In answer as to why I bought my D5:

I’ve had 17 x LR Discoverys (series 2 upwards) and all the while they’ve got better and better.

I now lease on a rolling 3yr PCP and due to the high mileage I have I would have lost too much if I kept the D4 for even another 6 months let alone longer.
I could have chosen a different 4x4 but I’m sort of loyal to the brand (I worked for LR for 20 years and remember when Gerry joined - complete with long frizzy Mick Hucknall hair! Straight out of Cov/Lancs polytechnic).

I undertook numerous test drives, and the D5 is very quiet, drives really well, and is not so brick-like as the D3/D4. Due to the less steeply angled windscreen, there’s less wind noise and less/no crap hits the windscreen.
Alas the D5 is seemingly very well designed/styled from the drivers seat forwards, but behind they sort of forgot what the primary user base user their Discoverys for! Personally I would have raised the roof 2-3”, similarly increased the vertical seat height, but lowered the boot floor line. Independent middle seats is a huge loss too.

Electrics and computer wizardry in the D5 did lure me in as being better than comparative competitor models, but alas the LR reliability, or even finishing off/testing of such is a huge issue which means I’d never buy a 2nd/3rd hand LR.

Last edited by Big Al on 25th Nov 2017 5:38 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #188349025th Nov 2017 2:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >