DISCO4.COM > Photos, Videos & Media

Laning - Finally took it off road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
discodk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Laning - Finally took it off road

Hi All

Been out in my D3 for my first bit of laning today with a couple of mates in a D2 and a P38. The video below is from Sandy Lane in brickhill woods - Bedfordshire. We also did the byway off the A507 (Millbrook to Steppingley) No video of this unfortunately as the camera fogged up (Shame as this is when the P38 got stuck) Sad .

It was a fun morning, was very impressed with the D3 on the AT2's.

Darren

Post #57184630th Dec 2009 8:37 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Well that's certainly a nice wide lane - almost room for a dual carriageway in places! Seemed to be a few brave (mad) souls laning on their own coming the other way.
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #57187530th Dec 2009 9:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discodk

Unnecessary quote removed

We were all together, the video was taken from the D2, he was playing camera man Razz

Post #57187830th Dec 2009 9:46 pm
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Congrats!.

Agree with PHil that laning should be done in a group / pairs but sometimes you can go on your own if you know the track well. Some lanes near me are no different that minor road across Dartmoor. And I've got a signal at home!
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #57187930th Dec 2009 9:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Knowing that lane very well, grandad is buried nearby in Brickhill Cemetery, aunt lives just below Cardington Camp ( well it was a camp), cousins live in Wootten, mum was born in Brogborough. All my family worked in Stewartby Brick works nearby. Memories Thumbs Up

Tis an uneventful lane, but great to get the D3 exercised

Post #57188530th Dec 2009 9:59 pm
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wasn't suggesting that you were laning on your own DiscoDK! From the video it seemed as if there were 1 or 2 loners coming the other way to you
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #57204231st Dec 2009 12:41 am
discodk

That is fine, that's not how I read your post. There was one mad man on his own in a Navara on the 2nd lane that we did. Hope he did not get stuck where my mate got his P38 grounded!

Post #57209531st Dec 2009 9:39 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

sorry but i don't see what the problem is with going on your own on a byway/ greenlane?

they are just non paved roads after all.... if you get stuck, you get out of it or go get help i walways thought,

I've never had the luxury of knowing lots of people nearby with 4x4 so have always gone alone,

I've driven appropriately and had tools to get out of trouble, if it looked dodgy then i'd give it a miss, always thought common sense was best companion when driving on lanes....

or am i about to get shot down? Embarassed
 one wife.......livid  
Post #57209931st Dec 2009 10:07 am
discodk

I am new to this and the only real laning I have done was with company yesterday. For me, I would not consider laning alone but that's really down to preference and me being a newbie to off roading. Laning with company just means a quicker recovery and no walking to find a friendy farmer with a tractor to hand! When the P38 got stuck yesterday we had a good laugh getting it recovered, The D2 was behind so we first tried to pull it back to where it had traction but that did not work so I ended up pulling forwards with my D3 Thumbs Up .

Darren

Post #57211031st Dec 2009 10:49 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I like to do lanes that take me places others don't really go, so I can see things others don't really see (the amount of wildlife down some lanes is amazing) and generally enjoy driving my car without anything else to worry about.

I go alone or with the dog, and avoid lanes where I am at all likely to get stuck. To me, that's not the point of laning, that's what you go to a pay and play site for, or on an organised event like the ones the club members run.

Just my opinion Smile
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #57211331st Dec 2009 10:54 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

my thinking too james
 one wife.......livid  
Post #57211731st Dec 2009 11:00 am
RPG

United Kingdom 

Well, not far from you, Ady, is a great little lane. Wide enough for a D3* and with plenty of animals:

Deer, rabbit, sheep, pigs, cows, goats, peacocks, pheasants, ducks, geese, wallabys, emus, alpacas....

The Princess would LOVE it Whistle

[size 5]*Once I've cut the hedge back and provided you don't have side steps[/size]

Post #57216131st Dec 2009 1:02 pm
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I don't have an issue with people laning on their own. The worst that is likely to happen is you get stuck, so no different really to breaking down on a road in the middle of nowhere. I like the comfort of laning with others but I have gone down greenlanes without any other vehicles many times. I think it pay to be sensible and probably get out more often to check the route ahead, if the route doesn't look driveable then I won't do it. I really don't see an issue with laning on your own, it pays to have sensible kit with you.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #57216831st Dec 2009 1:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >