gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

thks disco Thumbs Up

will give the front prop another look to see if there's any play in it

annoys the hell out of me Bow down

Post #178397926th Feb 2017 12:24 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Mine has done this since it was brand new and according to JLR it's a 'characteristic' of the car Confused DM had previously re-calibrated the gearbox and transfer box but it made no difference, car currently on 34,000 miles.

Post #178400126th Feb 2017 1:07 pm
SAS32

United Kingdom 

Has anyone ever changed the rubber gearbox mount on these as I believe it's only a £60 part and easily accessible but takes quite a beating?

I've been driving autos for over 20 years and it's usually the first thing I replace if I'm feeling/hearing thuds or thumps, which feel gearbox related but not necessarily like the gearbox is misbehaving.

Being rubber they perish quite easily over the years or become compressed due to the weight of the gearbox: I've often felt a positive difference after changing them at relatively low miles but ageing rubber doesn't necessarily need the miles before it loses effectiveness.

Just an idea anyway.

Post #17864973rd Mar 2017 7:04 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the dreaded clunk noise at low speed when accelerating.

I spent some time under my D3 looking at the prop shafts etc,

The rear prop shaft as 2 shafts, the smaller shaft In front of the tailshaft bearing must have a spline arrangement? anyway I have a very distinct clunk noise if I rotate it backwards and forwards.

I am wondering if this is it? I also found some youtube videos that talk about the famous GM driveline clunk in US pickups, the cure seems to be, to lubricating this front prop shaft spline with high temp grease.

Is it possible to lubricate this spline? via the installing of a grease nipple etc?,

Post #18099131st May 2017 1:26 pm
SN

B16 KJR wrote:
Mine has done this since it was brand new and according to JLR it's a 'characteristic' of the car Confused DM had previously re-calibrated the gearbox and transfer box but it made no difference, car currently on 34,000 miles.

Both of mine (55 plate and 57 plate) did this from brand new every now and again
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #18101411st May 2017 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jjvd21

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

Count me in the clunk / slack / bump club. I'm on original gearbox and front / rear riffs. Been clunking along now 7+ years and my D3 is almost 13 years old Thumbs Up
 16 D4 Landmark
05 D3 HSE V8
THE original D4 spotter 

Post #18127798th May 2017 11:55 pm
LR4USN

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Rimini RedLR3

My old '11 & '13 LR4 as well as my current '08 LR3, I've experienced the 'drivetrain whiplash' and of late my LR3 has and increasing so... I've just turned 98k on the clock, purchased in Aug 2016 with 87k.

This past weekend I was fiddling with my IID tool and in error somehow initiated a 'reset ECU' that I could not back out of. Unlike other functions the software it always confirms if you wish to proceed, this option did not. I tried to force close the app, but when I opened the app again it continued to move forward.

So, I wanted.. in fear... after the reset was complete I restarted the 3 and it idled at a high rev, around 1200 RPM, after about 3-4 minutes I just shut off the engine as it never set back to normal idle RPM.

Upon restart the 3 set back a normal idle and I was relieved everything seemed in good order and I exited the vehicle for the evening. whew....

The next day - normal start sequence... but this is the best part (wait for it...)

My drivetrain hasn't had a bit of play, or thump at low speeds since. It's like the transmission overall is 'new'. For the first day it seemed to change gears as if it was in sport mode, but has since settled down to normal shift patterns, but still a bit 'tighter' than before my 'error' with the IID tool.

Ideas as to why this would occur?

I've put about 350 miles since the reset and everything is working great.
Like I said it, it sort of feels like I have a new transmission.

Best mistake I ever made... Rolling with laughter

Post #18127839th May 2017 1:16 am
freddagg22

Australia 

The rear bushings could be wearing? The rear axle is under load on acceleration and that tiny shift with worn bushings could cause the "thump"?
Is there a squeek or pop when going over speed bumps?
Just a thought Smile

Post #199557928th Oct 2018 2:42 am
Tripe

I ve swapped out upper and lower rear bushes, knuckle bushes and rear tail shaft and this has not fixed it.

Starting to think it’s in the auto box

Interestingly, I had a slightly similar noise in the front diff, but this disappeared with a new front tail shaft

Post #199590629th Oct 2018 7:38 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Have you searched for California shunt? if so Pat at Gap does a software fix for it, obviously you need the IID tool.
I tried the software fix on mine and the thump is significantly reduced, its still there but I can live with that, before it was driving me nuts.

Post #199591629th Oct 2018 8:09 am
Tripe

Yep

I am aware of the GAP software fix

But have no idea who would have the gap tool in my local area of the Antipodes.

Post #199595629th Oct 2018 11:07 am
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Guy's, I've read this thread with some interest as my car before this one was an Infiniti M35 (hybrid) which had the exact same thing which went back to the dealers 7 times without getting diagnosed.

Here's the thing; I sold that car partly because of the slap and guess what I got in my 2012 D4?

These are completely different drive trains except one thing, the ZF box. 7sp in old car 8sp in the D4.

So I think, Clutch reset, GAPII upgraded map and a good old fluid flush including filter is probably the way to go. So far I've done the fluid which did make things smoother but not the filter.

Has anyone done live data reading on fluid pressures in the gearbox? I suspect this may have a lot to do with it, i.e. low bar causing delays in the box including slow down changes which cause the thump as the box is still changing down (Clutch disengaged) as the revs are rising thus the thump. I will have a look myself in a week or so hopefully.
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #20058584th Dec 2018 2:11 am
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Well well well !
I have an April 2018 D5 SE and have had that mysterious thump from new but having had so many other problems with it, concentrated on getting those problems solved.
Only since last month have the other problems been solved so can now concentrate on the Thump.
Mine sounds to me as if it is something in the middle pillar on the drivers side, my wife thinks it sounds further back but the annoying thing is that it isn't regular.
It thumps when I accelerate or brake, sometimes when I mount a kerb or drive over a bit of rough ground but can never be done when at the LR dealers.
I really don't know what to do about it.

Post #20062185th Dec 2018 10:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bazza.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

EMcC

Your thump appears to be similar to a suspension bush failing that you would expect at 90,000 miles or so. It could be that a bush has been tightened up while off centre (not under load) when this happens the bush can foul in operation quickly.

Have your other works involved removing chassis parts?

Do any of the bushes look off centre under normal load?
 Disco 4 2012  
Post #20062325th Dec 2018 12:05 pm
EMcC

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi Bazz, no my other problems have all been to do with loss of Sat Nav, loss of Radio, loss of telephone connectivity, early warning for servicing, loss of tyre pressure monitoring or incorrect readings and finally spare tyre pressure needing attention.
In all cases they have been 'sorted' but returned and 'sorted' again more than once.
At the moment, fingers crossed, they have all been finally 'Sorted' and now all I have is the mystical Bump.
My present mileage is 7k so I would not expect any bushes to need attention just yet Smile

Post #20062465th Dec 2018 1:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >