Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Latest Life Threatening Fault!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Blade

Latest Life Threatening Fault!!

Latest Life Threatening Fault Evil or Very Mad

Approximately 3 weeks ago the latest fault to occur nearly cost me my life.

Whilst driving I came to a large busy roundabout, I waited for a gap and then pressed the accelerator. My D3 initially moved forwards about one cars length, then massive power loss. I floored the accelerator as there was a large articulated lorry travelling towards me at speed, but to my horror my D3 just crawled forwards at less than walking speed. The driver of the lorry hit his brakes causing the wheels to lock and sending the back end of his trailer sideways. I braced myself for the impending collision expecting multiple airbags to be deployed at any moment, but by some miracle the driver of the articulated lorry managed to stop.

I managed to get my D3 across to the other side of the roundabout at approximately 2mph and stopped on the pavement. I turned the engine off and sat there for about 15 minutes waiting for my hart rate to come down. I then restarted my D3 and cautiously pulled away, after there was no sign of any problem.

On the Monday I took my D3 back (for the umpteenth time) to my dealer. After speaking to the Dealer Principal he seemed very concerned and said I should not drive my D3 until the matter has been sorted out, only to be then told to drive home and call LR Assistance as they have no courtesy vehicles!!

So far to date my D3 has been at the garage for 2 weeks and they still cannot tell me what is wrong. The only thing they have said is there might be a fault with the turbo but as yet they are not sure.

After the incident with the electronic park brake coming on when I was driving on the motorway a couple of months ago and now this I an getting very Censored off , 2 life threatening faults in as many months

I am now not sure what I should do next! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Blade

Post #393231st May 2005 3:35 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

What about refusing to have it back and ask for a replacement, the later builds appear to have some of the early problems ironed out, although it all seems to be a bit hit and miss - some have had hardly any problems with others like yourself suffering the more major problems.
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #393331st May 2005 4:25 pm
Lovell

This has happened to me (once) not life threatening, but happened on a country road, car just lost all power and crawled along at approx 20mph, nowhere to pull over, and a very long que formed in no time at all, when i did manage to pull over (approx 2 miles later) i had some very angry drivers giving me all kind of hand gestures (very embaresed) stopped the engine, then everything was fine after re-starting.
reported this to the dealer, (diddnt seem to care, checked over the car, but found no faults)
Other faults up to date: flaw in windscreen, took over 6 weeks to get replaced, heaters only blow either hot or cold, nothing in-between various rattles, suspension failure (took over a week to fix) nothing now for over a week......

Post #393531st May 2005 4:28 pm
Blade

I have spoken to the garage again today and they say that they may have an answer by Friday.

I spoke to a solicitor and was told that with new cars you have 6 months in which time you can take the vehicle back and ask for a refund if you can prove it is not of satisfactory quality.

Unfortunately I only found this out last week and my D3 is 6.5 months old.

If the garage cannot fix whatever the problem is then I will not accept the vehicle.

Post #393631st May 2005 5:37 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Blade
Good for you Wink
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #393731st May 2005 6:41 pm
GBY

United Kingdom 

I had exactly the same thing - same scenario but it was a bus - in my Smart Car. Turned the engine off, turned it back on again and it was fine, I never have found out what the problem is Confused
 '96 Java Black 300Tdi 90 Hard Top

GBY Photography.com

Post #394031st May 2005 8:16 pm
BN

England 

It is a bit wierd, but I have a Suzuki Jimny as a shopping trolley and it started to simply cut out when it wanted. The dealer looked at it and found it to be the CPU and the High Tension side of the ignition. A new CPU and away we go. Sounds so similar, but I doubt if LR will find it.

Post #394331st May 2005 9:39 pm
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Even the tree huggers have this problem Very Happy

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml...yID=743625
 Wa Hoo
-Tim
Chattanooga Tennessee USA
D3 V8HSE7HD
D1 kitted trail truck.
A Hummer is just a Hummer. A Land Rover goes all the way. 

Post #40403rd Jun 2005 2:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rich

New Zealand 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
no power

I had a similar problem with a 96 Range Rover DSE. Turned out to be a turbo hose which had gone soft as a result of oil contamination. The hose was collapsing and cutting off air to the turbo when very hot and under heavy acceleration. Does that make any sense for the D3?

Post #61362nd Jul 2005 11:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >