Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

LED Trailer lights issue. UPDATE 18 Oct
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
jaws_172

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

Yeah that's right. If you use the correct resistors they shouldn't over heat. Where are you planning on putting them?

Some others have used a 7 way by-pass relay rather than the 4 but I wouldn't recommend this as it has to be fitted to the car and then actually hides the trailer.

How are you getting on with the project?

Post #13527805th Oct 2014 11:31 am
Disco daz

I was wanting to fit all this inside the rear compartment in the carvan as I've got some connections I can tag into easily. With the caravan been made out of what they are I didn't want any heat from resistors in it. So using a flasher unit from a trailer board will work when hidden in the compartment.

I've got everything to do it ir just no had time.

I also bought a 7 wire relay box so that's for sale of anyone wants one????

Post #13528145th Oct 2014 1:30 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Did Land Rover sort this issue out on the D4 by any chance ?

Given the amount of trailers / caravans that are now coming with LED units as standard, you'd hope that LR have "caught up" with current technology, but then it is Land Rover, isn't it Rolling Eyes

Post #13528595th Oct 2014 4:02 pm
Skynet

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Couldn't a capacitor ground the canbus test pulses whilst allowing 14V DC to power the LED's?
 Dave
D3 2006 HSE, Cairns Blue - gone
D4 2016 SE, White

Wessex 4x4 Response
http://www.wessex4x4response.org.uk/ 

Post #13535687th Oct 2014 12:11 am
Washwipe

England 

zebadee wrote:
Did Land Rover sort this issue out on the D4 by any chance ?

Given the amount of trailers / caravans that are now coming with LED units as standard, you'd hope that LR have "caught up" with current technology, but then it is Land Rover, isn't it Rolling Eyes

It's not just a Land Rover problem, many other manufacturers are have the same problem, issue is actually that the automotive companies have yet to agree a standard for communication protocols outside the car. The result is that each OEM has a different standard, and although their cars are correct and meet legislation. It has also been said that when the manufacturers have the correct set up for LED Lights on Trallers, you could then have the problem of normal filament lights not working correctly.

Post #13540157th Oct 2014 9:21 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Well I suppose I was a bit quick to jump on LR's case on this Whistle

Thing is though, I've seen lots of vehicles towing LED equipped trailers, with no flashing or flickering indicators & I wouldn't imagine that everyone has bought a device or mod'ed their car to work with the LEDs, so I assumed that other manufacturers had this issue sorted.

Must try "Mrs Zeb's" X3 with some LED trailer lights & see what happens.

Post #13540767th Oct 2014 11:11 pm
Washwipe

England 

Mine didn't flash and flicker, but the Trailer Module wouldn't work correctly, it couldn't sense I had a Trailer attached, Reversing Sensors stayed on in Reverse, Rear Fogs would illuminate on Trailer and D4, Trailer Indicator Light wouldn't work, there is more to than just getting the lights working.

I was told by our Dealer that they know of an Audi Q7 where the Sat Nav won't work correctly when a Trailer with LED Lights is connected.

Post #13543928th Oct 2014 5:13 pm
Sly666

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have built a waterproof LED lighting board for my RIB too.

I'm thinking about installing a bypass relay, with a couple of power resisters on the indicator input.
I dont want to put any of the gubbings on the trailer so want to put it in the car with a switch on the side panel which will switch the resistive load on either by a double pole switch or via some relays.

Doing it this way i can plug either of my 3x LED lit trailers in without having to worry.

Questions...

Does the load only need to be on the indicators? Does the dash not show other trailer light bulb failures?

With this load on the indicators does the car behave as it should when towing? i.e rear parking sensors and fog light go off & air suspension adjusted.

Does the D3 have a TSB (towing stability program) which is activated when a trailer plugged in? How do we know this is activated?

Nasher: Are you the same Nasher as on RIB.net forums? Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #143083022nd Feb 2015 1:34 am
jaws_172

zebadee wrote:
Well I suppose I was a bit quick to jump on LR's case on this Whistle

Thing is though, I've seen lots of vehicles towing LED equipped trailers, with no flashing or flickering indicators & I wouldn't imagine that everyone has bought a device or mod'ed their car to work with the LEDs, so I assumed that other manufacturers had this issue sorted.

Must try "Mrs Zeb's" X3 with some LED trailer lights & see what happens.

Think it's a combination of things, had a very long conversation with Southern Trailers when I was first looking into the issue. They would sometimes load a trailer up with so much ballast it could sink a ship and the lights would still flicker. Some cars have the problem some don't, I personally think it's down to the LEDs. Although all the same they have different build specs and some include resistance built in to them and again others don't. There really isn't enough information provided about them to make a firm conclusion at this point.

Post #14374625th Mar 2015 8:10 am
jaws_172

Syl666, if you install it into the rear wiring it'll say you have a trailer attached all the time, you will also get an annoying tick tick tick every time you use your indicators from the bypass relay. The only actual choice is to mount it to the trailers.

Sly666 wrote:

Questions...

Does the load only need to be on the indicators? Yes
Does the dash not show other trailer light bulb failures? It will show all bulb failures except the indicators.

With this load on the indicators does the car behave as it should when towing? i.e rear parking sensors and fog light go off & air suspension adjusted. Yes, provided the load is before the switch.

Does the D3 have a TSB (towing stability program) which is activated when a trailer plugged in? How do we know this is activated? Yes, we know it's activated because a little green trailer will flash when we indicate.

Post #14374635th Mar 2015 8:14 am
v8addict

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mount it in the rear of the car with a switch to activate deactivate it then you are manually telling the car when the trailer is connected problem solved??

Post #151959524th Aug 2015 5:46 pm
jaws_172

Will still have the resistance issue and the led lights will flicker as a result. You need both the switch and the resistance

Post #151960024th Aug 2015 5:55 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

jaws_172 wrote:
All done, made it as simple to understand as possible. Should be readable Rolling with laughter Any questions just let me know. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

If you fitted this on the trailer to make the D3 work, would there be any problems if using another vehicle other than the D3?

Post #170994923rd Sep 2016 4:12 pm
jaws_172

Should be fine with any other vehicles, the alternative vehicle won't know if a led light is out in the same way the D3 won't know but then we have led so we don't have to worry about bulbs Whistle

Post #171041324th Sep 2016 8:02 pm
Ade

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

That's good to know, thanks for the reply Thumbs Up

Looking to fit the circuit setup to a trailer to be able to use my D3, but didn't want to affect a friends Defender using the trailer as well

Post #171041924th Sep 2016 8:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >