England 

Woody...

Never knew such a thing existed
 Www.devonchilliman.co.uk  
Post #81276830th Jun 2011 9:33 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

biskit wrote:
I had a ticket holder in an old 740 Volvo, very useful, anybody know if you can still buy them. Question

I believe the Volvo and LR ones are exactly the same. And yes you still can buy them.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #81277130th Jun 2011 9:38 pm
Phil1644

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

They are available on ebay, I bought one..............but dropped it between the dash & the windscreen whilst fitting it Embarassed

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&am...Categories

Post #81278630th Jun 2011 9:58 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

the Volvo ones, whilst slightly dearer than the ebay ones actually fit into a bracket on the inside of the A pillar trim.

Click image to enlarge

Post #81280230th Jun 2011 10:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
swansty

Northern Ireland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I agree with all of your comparisons. D3 definitely seemed more practical esp the 3rd cup holder. Last week was my first period of extended driving covering about 1000miles. Both myself and the other half found the seats uncomfortable after about 100miles. I miss my d3 more than I enjoy my d4!

Post #81281330th Jun 2011 10:50 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Blimey Ron, glad I can't afford one now after reading that lot Laughing
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #81282130th Jun 2011 11:20 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

After 5 wonderful permagrin years and 106k, I too changed my fantastic D3 HSE for a D4 Landmark and found your observations Ron very interesting. I was worried before I took delivery of the Landmark that there'd be HSE spec/toys I'd regret losing. So far (after 2k) the only thing I really miss is the dipping wing mirrors in reverse. They make it so much easier to parallel park, especially if you're paranoid about scuffing the 20" diamond cuts!

Looking at your list:

Seats - They are much firmer than on the D3, which I personally prefer, so I've found them more comfortable. However, there is now a line of thick stitching which goes down the middle of each squab. What's that about? does nothing for comfort but catches on anything with pockets. I bet this will be the first bit to show serious wear as well.

No Grab handles on front seats – Never used them but I do like the fact that I can now alter the height of the headrests on the D4.

No Heated Rear Seats - Never travelled in the back so didn't notice!

Centre Dash – Agreed, all the little useful places have gone. And where are you supposed to put the huge key fob now? But, there is one thing I prefer about the new design… the position of the cup holders in the D3 means there is a hard plastic bump that used to rub against the most comfortable place to leave your left leg on long journeys. I now have more room for long legs!

No Dash mats – Agreed

Dash Readouts - True, although I do like the look of the new display.

Triplicate Infotainment Controls – I like the fact that I can go straight to my phone, ipod or nav display without going through a home page or fiddling with the steering wheel. Feels quicker than the old system to me?

Off Road Controls – Agreed, maybe they should of moved them overhead behind the interior lights so we could have more space for storage?

No Cigarette Lighter – good thing! - apart from below...

Starter Button – I like the starter button but don't know where to leave my keys! … Also I've noticed that the cigarette (power) sockets are 'on' as soon as the car wakes up even without pressing the button for ignition. This means anything you've got plugged in to your sockets is turning it's self on and off every time you open a door???

Near Side Dash – It was three years before I even knew there was a cupholder there!!!

No ticket holders on internal A Pillars - Agreed - need to buy the Volvo parts to replace.

Door card bottle holders – Agreed, the shape is all wrong.

Auto Folding Mirrors – I like these.

Screen washer jets – didn't notice they'd changed?

Indicator count – I too preferred the old, non automatic, way.

Side Lights – I never drive with just sidelights so not really bothered.

No 2nd Battery space – where do I put my bottle jack now?

Bodywork – I hate the colour coded arches for both practicality and looks. I'm seriously looking at replacing them with D3 originals.

Adding to your list with my own observations:

Extended roof rails - These are definitely more noisy at speed especially if there's any sort of crosswind.

20" wheels - Obviously, no good offroad... unless it really is a RRS Estate?

No Glass Roof - Strangely, I really like NOT having a glass roof. The interior seems much quieter… you notice it most when driving in heavy rain. The old glass roof would 'ping' and 'ting' with each drop! I also like the fact that I don't have to worry where I park if there's kids higher up, (I go to some dodgy locations).

Carpets - On the old D3 there was the option of light coloured seats but with black carpets and door pockets. This has gone on the D4 and I really miss the lightness of look with the practicality. What are they thinking putting thick beige carpets in a 4x4?

I had a particularly good D3 (that most people thought had been chipped when it hadn't!) and I enjoyed 106k trouble free miles all over Europe. For a couple of weeks I did miss the practicalities of the D3 and wondered if I'd made a mistake. Thing is, you grow into a car, and before you know it you've adapted to all the changes. I couldn't go back now… not after pushing that wonderful 3.0 SDV6!

(P.S. also noticing the fuel economy - Very Happy )

Post #8134212nd Jul 2011 9:43 pm
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Interesting thread. I love my D3 and had a D4 HSE for 2 weeks while D3 was poorly.

Love the D4 engine, DAB radio that works, rear camera.

Didn't like missing drinks holder in the front, the fact that changing the music means I lose the sat nav screen (miss the separate radio display), no rear air con, high beam assist is s Censored e, no adaptive xenons on hse, didn't get on with start button (where do I put my keys when driving?)

What I want is a 255bhp 8-speed D3 HSE with factory DAB and rear camera. If they could do a 'utility' like the Defener, with 5 seats but no windows in the boot so I can claim the vat back and have commercial benefit in kind that would be perfect.

In the end I have ordered a d4 commercial with a few toys and aim to still keep the G4 D3 HSE.

Cheers
Craig
 2012 Defender 110 XS Utility 2.2
2012 D4 Commercial 255 8-speed, Active diff, lots of extras on order, comes Sept - ORDER CANCELLED (isn't divorce expensive....?)
2008/08 D3 HSE G4 - part exchanged for the 110
1987 110 CSW with 200 Tdi (now gone)
2007/57 D3 TDV6 HSE - NOW GONE owned 1/oct/08 to 31/dec/09
2007 Seat Altea Freetrack4 170 tdi (wife's car, wife now gone!) 

Post #8134633rd Jul 2011 8:57 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I'd forgotten about the DAB radio - love it, and the fact that my iPhone now integrates perfectly.
Thumbs Up

Post #8134673rd Jul 2011 9:22 am
Dexter

Scotland 

Mmmmm.............. Interesting comments Thumbs Up

We find the seats very comfortable but the sprogs do miss the grab handles. I'm getting used to the dash but also miss the storage areas too. All in all I do prefer the D4 significantly more than my D3, but the D3 was a manual with cloth and no sat nav so maybe not so surprising really?

Love the engine, auto box, leather, sat nav and styling, I prefer the colour coding and the D4 grill Thumbs Up

Got to mention the heating controls though, too many auto presets Evil or Very Mad , turn the temp to Lo and all the stupid settings kick in (and have to be switched off one by one), outside temp drops below 5c, and the heated screens come on themselves, this is most mornings up here from October to April and tbh - no need! I'd like to control these things myself thanks LR Whistle And the auto mirrors too please, they make a horrible noise when frozen up and I should be able to switch this off too.

Hopefully some of the above can be switched off at the first service but first we are off on a 3 week tin tent holiday which is where the D4 comes into it's own and the main reason for us running one Bow down

Dex

Dex

Post #8135273rd Jul 2011 5:22 pm
discocuzzy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I hate the Diamond cut wheels, both fronts now curbed so off to get refurbed on Monday then up for sale!
I agree with the lack of storage in the front, but i generally shove the keys in the cubby box once opened.
Love the engine, love the Dab and the handling is more assured.
I find the seats really comfy, but i was driving a defender for the last 2 years!.
 "you cannot teach stupid people to do clever things"
--------------------------------------------------------
05 plate D3 HSE in Zermat- Gone
11 Plate D4 Landmark in Fuji white- Gone
08 Plate D3 Hse in Buckingham Blue- Gone
58 plate D3 HSE Silver- Gone
10 Plate D4 HSE Stornaway Grey 

Post #8135433rd Jul 2011 6:59 pm
ukdave104

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Life with my D4 v D3

LiftedDisco wrote:
Hairy Dan wrote:

On my D4 there is a retractable draw under the heater controls for coins etc Thumbs Up

Takes a bit of finding... had the car for a couple of weeks before I found it....

It's called an ash tray Whistle

2014.5 Discovery 4 HSE in Corris Grey Metallic - arriving this week.
2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 TDV8, now departing
2012 Freelander HSE SD4 Auto - Mrs UkDave104's Toy.
2010 Discovery 4 XS - gone
2008 Discovery 3 HSE - gone
2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4 - gone

Post #8145186th Jul 2011 5:57 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 
Re: Life with my D4 v D3

ukdave104 wrote:
It's called an ash tray Whistle

Only if you have the smoking option, if you don't, you get a small coin draw - on the mat inside it there is a no smoking symbol Wink

Post #8145466th Jul 2011 6:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulC

Wales 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Is it just my vehicle or are the front parking sensors very quiet in the D4?

Post #8146036th Jul 2011 8:50 pm
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Oh, now I feel all deprived. Never had a D3, just having to make do with what is clearly second best, a D4.

But, I don't think I'll offer it up for a swap. Simply great.

Btw, square bottle holders are top for square water bottles; Volvic or similar... Whistle

Post #8146236th Jul 2011 9:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >