Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Liftgate failure - but which bit do I try to repair ..!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ferncottage

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
Liftgate failure - but which bit do I try to repair ..!

Liftgate (upper tailgate) has failed .. Holding both buttons inside & simultaneously getting wife to press button on back it finally opened - hoorah!

LR bulletin says replace exterior handle assembly. Presumably I don't have to take interior trim off & pull cable.

So, do I dismantle upper handle (one on liftgate) or the gubbins on the lower tailgate? I'm trying to undo upper handle (4 torx screws), still can't get the blighter off - but am I doing the right bit.

So much comment on here, it's confusing.

Thanks in advance, Peter
 Discovery 4 - 3.0 - 2015  
Post #78772119th Apr 2011 8:13 pm
john ov

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

My top tailgate failed too last week while on holiday, again opened with the 2 buttons at front so I know its a new handle, While I do this I am also going to replace the bottom cable to a new improved one as I have heard that if they go when your boot is shut it a pain to get to.

So today I ordered both from TLO.

Good luck

Last edited by john ov on 19th Apr 2011 8:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #78772419th Apr 2011 8:18 pm
ferncottage

Thanks - OK, so that sounds like it's the handle on the liftgate I need to get apart ???

Loosened 4 torx screws, how does the rest of it comes apart - is it normally fixable or do I need to order parts?
 Discovery 4 - 3.0 - 2015  
Post #78772619th Apr 2011 8:22 pm
ferncottage

Just realised, past beer o'clock - will have to pick-up later/in the morning Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 - 3.0 - 2015  
Post #78772919th Apr 2011 8:27 pm
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had the same issue a couple of weeks back.

clikl

I did both handle (needed) and cable (precautionary after wetting my pants that I might need to do the nasty "cable hunt" if it wasn't the handle).

Get in touch with TLO to get a Zermatt handle - looks better and cheaper than unpainted black. Thumbs Up

Post #78773719th Apr 2011 8:51 pm
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Have a look at the second of my signature topics documents page 15-16: detailed instructions with pictures on how to remove the upper tailgate handle, as it's needed to fit the reversing camera Wink

In short, you also have to also undo 3x 10mm bolts hidden behind the upper tailgate trim. In my guide, I completely removed that trim but you can access the bolts in question by peeling back the rubber weatherstrip and unclipping only that corner of the trim - if that makes sense Smile

Maybe an idea to see if TLO (or anywhere else) have a colour-coded handle for your car while you're at it, same price I think Thumbs Up
 ==> Guide - Inexpensive AV Modification
==> Guide - Extend the multimedia of your Discovery III (September 2011, v1.2 uploaded)  
Post #78774019th Apr 2011 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The trim on the inside of the upper tailgate is fixated by large yellow plastic pins.

It takes hard pulling. I think easiest to start the lower end in a corner. IIRC there are 7 of these pins.

The upper side is secured by clips more like the ones used to keep the H-trim in place, so don't go bend the trim too much. But you probably won't have to take that side off.

If one of the pins stays in place, lever it out with a screwdriver, not with pliers.
If you damage the yellow pins, they are dead cheap (€ 0,65 or so).

BTW I kept the upper tailgate open when removing, this prevents the handle from falling off Wink

Good luck,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #78775019th Apr 2011 9:23 pm
ferncottage

Thanks folks, managed to sort it.

Just for anyone else who has the same problem, this is what I learn't / found:

1. Take off the complete door handle - 4 torx head bolts & the 3 10mm bolts underneath the trim. Disconnect the electrics.

2. The handle then has 2 screws holding the casing on, the outside slides off (few clips as well).

3. Finally you can get at the insides of the handle, the whole handle control (with the rubber you press on) prises out, take off the rubber, then you can see the insides of the switch.

There is a plate with spring hinges on the back, this was full of white lime-scale bits, all frosted up. I scraped it clean, flushed it with WD40, oiled it and then greased the hinge parts. This presses onto a little micro-switch behind.

Water must have got in it, its really dry at the moment so was dry inside, I've no idea how water makes its way in.

Anyway, result is the switch now works fine. I believe the previous owner had the cable go so I haven't changed this.

Cheers, P
 Discovery 4 - 3.0 - 2015  
Post #78795020th Apr 2011 3:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >