Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Lithuanian/Latvian Roads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
jambo27

United Kingdom 
Lithuanian/Latvian Roads

So my girlfriend needs to go to Northern Latvia (Ventspils to be precise) and apparently some time ago I agreed that we should drive because it would be great - I know understand why she bought me a bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum also some time ago !!!!

Anyway I have no problems driving (in fact I will enjoy it) but I as I am planning this trip I realise that my Eastern European driving experience is limited to Poland. My questions are (and I guess these will probably be answered by the forum's own Phileas Fogg)

How do the roads in Lithuania and Latvia compare to Poland's roads?
Will I be plagued with potholes and lunatic drivers or have the governments of those countries spent their EU grants wisely and invested in infrastructure?
Anything I should be aware of that the locals will expect you to know but you wouldn't automatically know unless someone told you?
How does fuel compare in cost to Poland (bearing in mind we have just reached the 1GBP per litre mark in Poland Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I am based in Poland so it is a short hop to the border then through Lithuania with an overnight in Klaipeda before heading up the coast the Ventspils.

Post #196503618th Jul 2018 11:30 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

i'm trying to workout if DSL is the man to answer that โ€ฆ

DSL signaturestrip wrote:
Old Dee ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ผ
New Dee ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ

Post #196505019th Jul 2018 5:46 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Yes Lithuania and Latvia are in there. Thumbs Up

Done that way twice. Donโ€™t know what the road is like from Riga but up to there the roads are fine. All normal, non d/cway or mway, but pretty good. It was the road from Warsaw up to Suwalki I hated. Fuel is about the same (well it was last summer) as Poland and headlights on all the time. Fair amount of truck traffic but they tend to move along quickly. Thumbs Up

Post #196505219th Jul 2018 6:43 am
bluebarchetta

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Does this help?

http://lifeinriga.com/drive-like-latvian/[/url]

Post #196505319th Jul 2018 7:08 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Reminded me more of driving in Poland so OP should be fine. Thumbs Up

Laughing

Saying that, off to Gdaล„sk by D4 this Oct so will get to re-experience those joys. Whistle

Post #196505519th Jul 2018 7:18 am
jambo27

United Kingdom 

Great thanks for the replies Very Happy

That article about driving in Latvia could easily be applied to driving in Poland - although written as a joke it is incredibly accurate. It is quite normal here to treat single lane roads as dual carriageways.

Post #196506019th Jul 2018 7:29 am
jambo27

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Reminded me more of driving in Poland so OP should be fine. Thumbs Up

Laughing

Saying that, off to Gdaล„sk by D4 this Oct so will get to re-experience those joys. Whistle

Haha once experienced you never forget Polish driving. If anything I would say the standard of driving is getting worse Surprised

Post #196506219th Jul 2018 7:33 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Will stick to โ€œnormalโ€ roads as they are a bit less aggressive on those cf Mways. Kostryzn to S of Gdaล„sk via Kolobrzeg & back same way direct. Thumbs Up

Post #196506819th Jul 2018 8:00 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Hardware17 wrote:
i'm trying to workout if DSL is the man to answer that โ€ฆ

DSL signaturestrip wrote:
Old Dee ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ป๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ผ
New Dee ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ

well Censored me โ€ฆ when I look at your signature on the PC, it's just a string of letters "GBFR..." etc. but when I see what I posted above on my phone it's the flags. never noticed before because phone view doesn't show signatures.

Post #196507419th Jul 2018 8:30 am
DSL

Ukraine 

And, as above, one more to add for New Dee in early Oct: ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡ฑ

Whistle

Post #196507719th Jul 2018 8:34 am
jambo27

United Kingdom 

DSL wrote:
Will stick to โ€œnormalโ€ roads as they are a bit less aggressive on those cf Mways. Kostryzn to S of Gdaล„sk via Kolobrzeg & back same way direct. Thumbs Up

Nice route Thumbs Up along the coast. That time of year traffic should be light as it is out of holiday season and everyone will be at work or school.

If speed of journey is a factor then A2 through Germany to Poznan and then cut across to south of Torun and up A1 to Gdansk is a quicker route but more miles and you won't drive past a Biedronka with their lovely pastries and cakes every 20km.

Unusual for people to have Poland as a destination most people are just passing through or calling for cheap beer and cigarettes Rolling with laughter

Post #196512819th Jul 2018 11:21 am
DSL

Ukraine 

Biedronka = half the reason I tend to stay off the Polish Mways. That and the Polish drivers on them. Laughing Laughing

In 2016 I used the normal roads, and swore I should have used the Mways. Last year I used the Mways and swore I should have used the normal roads. This October itโ€™s back to normal roads then. Thumbs Up

Post #196526219th Jul 2018 8:09 pm
jambo27

United Kingdom 

Ah Polish drivers on motorways is an eye opening experience

Yes I can see you in my mirror, yes I know you are behind me, yes I know your Audi with one wing mirror, one working headlight and half an exhaust is faster than me but I am overtaking a lorry and have central reservation on my left - where exactly do you think I am going to move too when you flash your one light??

Oooh look the road changes from 2 lanes to one lane, I know I'll drive down the hard shoulder and cut in at the last minute

Hmm my junction is coming in the next 150m and I am doing 150 kph in the outside lane. How long can I leave it before i cut across the traffic in the other lanes to exit at this junction ?

It's boring driver my lorry at night, I'll just put my laptop on top of the wheel and watch a film as a trundle down this motorway.

Any of those familiar to you and your experiences ?

Hope you find the normal roads better this time. Hopefully he physical size of the D4 will make people think twice before any crazy overtaking moves as they won't be able to see so clearly although visibility of road ahead is not normally a barrier for overtaking here.

Is Gdansk your only destination or are you having a tour round ?

Post #196539220th Jul 2018 9:46 am
DSL

Ukraine 

All in my experiences apart from the truck one. They are bigger than me and avoided eye contact at any cost. I know, chicken but I had my hands full trying to avoid the cars. It was in that appalling weather last early summer but that didnโ€™t make any difference.

Plan is Tunnel to Kostrzyn via Zossen & Halbe, few days there seeing Seelow Heights sites & general tromping over the battlefield. Then to Gdansk via Klomino (the town that didnโ€™t exist until the rooskies left) and Borne Sulinowo. Couple of days in Gdansk for wedding, poss side trip to Hel to get a bit of space on the Sunday. Back via Kolobrzeg for a couple of museums and an army surplus place here 9F6Qโ€Š5JG7+M2 that could sell you a not so small army, have a mooch at the pics on GoogMaps. Highlight of the museum is this Panzer IV dug up a few years ago & restored. Thumbs Up

From this 21ft down

Click image to enlarge

To this

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Well thatโ€™s the plan. Thumbs Up

Oh, and the Luftwaffe museum at Gatow http://mhm-gatow.de/en/ on the way back as will be virtually passing.

Post #196539820th Jul 2018 10:07 am
jambo27

United Kingdom 

Have you attended a Polish wedding before ???

Post #196551220th Jul 2018 4:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >