Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Litter in the UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Litter in the UK

Ive noticed for some time now there appears to be very little awareness of the impact of dropping litter. Why is it that some people seem to think it's fine to dump their empty wrappers and cups anywhere they seem fit, even when there's a litter bin just feet away?

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's, the government launched the Keep Britain Tidy campaign. We had the reasoning drummed in at school and it stuck. Apart from that, I was taught at home from being very young that it was something you just didn't do. Do the youth ( and it's not just the youth either ) of today not have the benefit of the Keep Btitain Tidy campaign? Maybe it's no longer around but there does appear to be a whole mindset that thinks it fine to empty their car of trash in car parks and sometimes at red traffic lights.

At a time when we're all supposed to be aware of plastic and how it's polluting our oceans do some think it's fine to litter this once green and promised land?

Rant over.............."Nurse, the screens please" Confused
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #20744278th Aug 2019 5:34 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Locally we have "picks up" by volunteers:-

but this really should not be necessary.

I collect locally & a substantial proportion is fast food related, wrappers, empty drink cans etc..

This is of course in addition to fly tipping, which appears to be driven by the local authority centres:-

Charging for many classes of waste.
Reducing the opening hours of tips
Banning certain types of vehicles & trailers

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #20744338th Aug 2019 6:22 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Large park very close to my house is again, as of Tuesday occupied by Gypsies. Those dirty sub-species thieving f*ck*rs take leaving litter to a different scale.

They were here about 4 years ago - the mess was horrendous. Council put in bollards at all likely entrance points and a barrier at the most likely entrance of the road. All well and good as long as barrier locked. Rolling Eyes
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20744508th Aug 2019 7:34 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Suggest taking registration numbers of all vehicles on site, and checking that they have current MoTs where relevant, current RFT & insurance.

Report any issues to local police, possibly through local councillor, a few days later ask what steps have been taken.

Council should be able to get them moved on with 8-12 days through court action.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #20744518th Aug 2019 7:38 am
adam

United Kingdom 

They have been served their 48 hour eviction notice this AM (just come back from talking to Police) as long as none of them are ill, infirm or pregnant, the bailiffs will be in to evict, if the former is the case, it will take longer to resolve.
There have also been multiple reported incidents of anti-social behaviour made by folk to the Police and Council - which will help.
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #20744668th Aug 2019 8:58 am
Dave T

England 
Re: Litter in the UK

Narpy wrote:
Ive noticed for some time now there appears to be very little awareness of the impact of dropping litter. Why is it that some people seem to think it's fine to dump their empty wrappers and cups anywhere they seem fit, even when there's a litter bin just feet away?

When I was a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's, the government launched the Keep Britain Tidy campaign. We had the reasoning drummed in at school and it stuck. Apart from that, I was taught at home from being very young that it was something you just didn't do. Do the youth ( and it's not just the youth either ) of today not have the benefit of the Keep Btitain Tidy campaign? Maybe it's no longer around but there does appear to be a whole mindset that thinks it fine to empty their car of trash in car parks and sometimes at red traffic lights.

At a time when we're all supposed to be aware of plastic and how it's polluting our oceans do some think it's fine to litter this once green and promised land?

Rant over.............."Nurse, the screens please" Confused

Very valid rant Thumbs Up

I think it is because when something is emptied it must become heavier and/or bigger, otherwise why wouldn't they take it ?
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #20745018th Aug 2019 12:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

One 'habit' round by me is cars that park on the residential road where I live as a convenient position to their nearby workplace have a habit of 'emptying the car of rubbish' as they leave the road in the evening. The rubbish is only in the area that the visiting cars park, the rest of the road remains rubbish free.

Usual type of rubbish will be a 'meal deal' detritus, food wrappers, coffee cups, etc.

Post #20745068th Aug 2019 12:28 pm
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Astonbuilder, is that the street which is at risk of freak winds gathering up the rubbish and then, the next day, depositing it back in the exhaust pipe of the culprit vehicles?

It's all climate change and Brexit.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #20745108th Aug 2019 12:50 pm
astonbuilder

Laughing

have seen a few items put under wiper blades of cars but issue is you don't see the rubbish until the cars have departed and whilst many cars are there daily they are not always in same position so unsure which cars are the main culprits

Post #20745118th Aug 2019 1:02 pm
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

It's not just disgusting but Censored rude. The concepts of other people's property and of a shared environment seem to have gone for a button. "Society" is dead.

The local council has signs asking littering drivers be reported. I tried it once and the forms were numerous and horrendous so I won't bother in the future.

As for handing litter back or saying 'I think you've just dropped something" it is probably an invitation for a stabbing.

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #20745128th Aug 2019 1:03 pm
astonbuilder

I don't think our council would be bothered at all if you made a report given they and the police felt 'unable' to get untaxed, uninsured and non-MOT'd car removed a couple of years back so wouldn't hold much hope for a few costa cups, coke bottles and sarnie wrappers........ Rolling Eyes

Agree about the risk of violence these days if you dared mention it too ^^^^^

Post #20745138th Aug 2019 1:08 pm
HWN

A few years ago, our local council spent £5K clearing up the litter left by three hundred Somalis who had come for a day-trip to the seaside.

The organisation in question were told not to come back without permission.

You've only got to look at the state of post-event Glastonbury or the lazy sods who leave their sweet wrappers, drinks, etc., where they were sitting in the cinema rather than drop it in the bin on the way out

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #20745158th Aug 2019 1:14 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

we went to a beach a few weeks ago on the East Coast, the amount of rubbish on the beach made me feel ill.. I went and bought some bags and started collecting while the kids played..

by the end of it, all 3 kids and the wife were helping collect litter on our day out at the beach.

I decided then that we would have dedicated trips to the beach to clean them up a little.

Some people are painfully idle..

I can't believe we've let it get this bad (or our previous generations).. there should be a stat of emergency and the whole world should have to contribute to the clean up..

It saddens me that no matter what my family and I do, and what I teach them, there are so many backwards countries every little doesn't really help..

before long it'll be too late..

I know we all drive big diesel cars so our thought on the environment isn't our top priority but the rubbish thing really gets to me..
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #20745328th Aug 2019 3:26 pm
HWN

There was a chap here who used to spend each morning picking litter from the beach. He, and his lovely Dobermans, were well known and many people would stop and say what a good job he was doing.

Shamed, the local council stepped in and told him to stop. Did they take over and do it as good as the chap who wanted the beach to look it's best? Did they Censored

The list of items retrieved from a beach litter-pick about ten years ago included twenty Great Uncle Bulgaria toys (Wimbledon FC mascots washed overboard from a Chinese ship) and an inflatable TARDIS! Rolling with laughter

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #20746018th Aug 2019 8:13 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Whistle Whistle

Post #20746068th Aug 2019 8:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >