Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Living without the FBH??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Does anyone know where Webasto make these heaters - if it is in the UK and we can find out where, there must be enough here for a group discount on a service.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #6125991st Mar 2010 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

There's also a discussion going on here, http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944-105.html, where one the guys on the forum has made some significant headway in understanding this damn FBH and also has a cheap mechanism to do some detailed diagnostics on it, clear the faults etc.

As for the question about what impact the FBH not working has - for me, I've been doing some short journeys all winter at sub-zero temperatures and the fuel economy has been awful (12-15 mpg at times). Plus everytime I start the engine cold, drive it 1.5 miles and stop it again I worry about the extra wear, load on the battery etc etc.

Though I think the biggest impact of the FBH not working is that it's really bloody annoying Wink - the thing should work and it isn't, that's usually enough to drive a Landrover owner insane Confused

Post #6130032nd Mar 2010 1:04 pm
Sundvall

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hello.

Why not install an electrical heater for the enigne. (OK you will need to have a electrical contact the house/garage)
Everyone in the northern Scandinavia does have that installed (otherwise the car will not start when it gets below -20C)

Have just ordered one myself(even if living in France for the moment) because I would like to reduce the enigne wear. (and it is veryyy nice with a warm car in the morning 8) even in France (suppose that it is even more needed on your island Wink )

As I bonus you can install, as said, a electrical cabine heater so your car (and not just the engine) is nice and warm in the morning, top on that you just use an ordinary electrical timer to control the on/off.

If you have the option of connecting your self (or rather your car) to the 220V net morning and nights I would go for that.

I have installed some electrical heaters myslef (mainly on Mercedes) and it seems to be very easy to install it on a Disco (no engine block connection). I will do it in the coming weeks and if anyone interested I could come back with more details.

Meanwhile check www.defa.com for more details or www.calix.se (not sure they have anything for Land Rover)
So leave the FBH and get electric Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #6133192nd Mar 2010 10:19 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Our climate is way to mild for that, saw the heights of +6c this morning! Generally hovering a few degrees below freezing first thing but down up -15c if clear skies so not really in your league coldwise. It's just that it's a pain to get to the dealers to have a temporary fix (clear faults) when not sure it will do any harm. It's just another piece of kit on the D3 that survives past warranty then becomes a pain.

Besides 220v route no good for me as I'd forget to plug it in at night or unplug it when I drive off. Shocked

Post #6133232nd Mar 2010 10:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

In the olden days, my grandad used to put a parrafin greenhouse heater under his Hilman Minx, positioned right under the sump to keep the oil warm. Never failed him Laughing

Post #6133362nd Mar 2010 10:53 pm
Sundvall

Ok DSL.

Do understand what you say although just a couple of minus degrees during the winter months justify the heater for me since I like to have a warm car in the morning (or detest when it is cold).

The cable is just a habite, you connect in the evening and unplug in the morning. In all years I just forgot to unplugg once and that ment only that the cable unplugged itself (normally that it what happen).

But true it is thing that is more for the northern countries and I think that your neighbours would wonder if you bought an hybrid Disco Mr. Green at least that is what our French neighbours think about our other car that has an electrical heater installed Laughing

When It comes to things that give up on the Disco I see it as challenge (me crazy prob) I did manage to keep myself away from Land Rover products the last ten years due to I was fed up with their quality. But honestly, German cars get boring after I while and once Land Rover always Land Rover (They may be good or bad but I can't live without them)

So DSL get yourself a warm-up kit and feel the heat inboards.. Wink (if you can so in english)

Post #6133392nd Mar 2010 10:55 pm
geirstein

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
DIY installation of a DEFA-system?

Sundvall,

I am certainly interested in details regarding DIY installation of a DEFA-system without installing heat element into the engine block. Please post it when you have accomplished the task.

Best regards

Geir

Post #62640024th Mar 2010 1:46 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I gave up on the FBH. It's a piece of crap, or probably LR turned into a piece of crap.
Had it unlocked by a Websato dealer some weeks ago to find out it was locked again after a week.

Thank god spring is here. Thumbs Up
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #62645624th Mar 2010 9:31 am
SGH

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

Today my D3 goes in for new FBH to be fitted under warranty. Very Happy Then next week TFC is fitting GSM dialer for it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 Defender 300Tdi 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montalcino Red/Black Pack - Gone
Connect L2 Double Cab - Moondust Silver
Connect L1 - Moondust Silver
VW California Ocean 150PS DSG - Reflex Silver 

Post #62647524th Mar 2010 10:02 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

a cheaper way for when you are at home could be to use a block heater, my Swedish friends swear by them

Apparently the early D3's had them fitted so TLO may be able to source the kit. Plug and play!

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=13731

"The block heater part number was VUB504640 ($94.28), the cord 3600003 ($42.84) and labour $138.00 plus 27.91 for coolant + 303.03 plus tax, all in Canadian"

Pom

Post #62647824th Mar 2010 10:10 am
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Now that sounds interesting;

"The block heater part number was VUB504640 ($94.28), the cord 3600003 ($42.84) and labour $138.00 plus 27.91 for coolant + 303.03 plus tax, all in Canadian"
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #62648224th Mar 2010 10:15 am
Sundvall

Hi

(Geir sorry for the late update Embarassed but I understand if you need a heater it if live in Oppdal Very Happy). I have been installing the defa heater now and quite easy job for the heater it took 1 hour in total. The thing is to disconnect the two hoses and put the heater in-between them. All that you do on the left side underneath the radiators. You will loose some cooler liquid but you top with approx. 2 litres and you are fine.
Just check that you get the right spec. as with ATF-oil it is jungle of spec and the easiest way is to go is to take Land Rovers own liquid (even do it is expensive).

After installing the heater I continue to route the cable to 220 V outlet for the cabine heater.
Easy, I thought, h-ll no that took me 3 hours and finally I was forced to go via the small hole that find you under the brake vacuum booster on the left hand side (LHD)(same hole that is used for the command signal for the aux steering of the FBH) That is what I have accomplished for the moment. That is engine heating but no cab heating so far.

I have tested the engine heater it seems to work fine. There is a real difference of the sound of engine when you start in morning after having the engine hectare on for an hour or more.

For you other guys, I didn't know that there are block heaters to the Disco Shocked They are normally very effective but the only thing with them is that they are normally very complicated to install (all a question of access and the engine compartment of the Disco is not a ballroom of space Rolling Eyes ).But I really don't know how you are supposed to mount it and perhaps Land Rover have found a smart way.

Geir I will take some photos and do "manual" but I will do that the coming months since I have some other projects on roll that I need to focus on. Over all it is easy job for the heater and quite tricky for the cab heater.
By the way is the sking good in Oppdal?

//P

Post #63546913th Apr 2010 7:22 pm
buda

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
fbh

forgive my ignorance, but how do you know if the fbh is working or not ....? do you measure the time it takes for engine temp gauge to come up to "normal", - ?? what are the the symptoms - poor mpg....and what else.....

Post #63554113th Apr 2010 9:01 pm
Sundvall

Buda

The easiest way is to locate the exhaust pipe for the FBH in the left side wheel house. You should feel warm exhausts from it when the fbh is running as it should. But you know that are certain criterias for the FBH should strart. Cooing liquid temp lower than 70 deg C and outside temp lower than 6 or 7 deg C if any of those criteria aren't fulfilled the fbh will not fire up.

//P

Post #63554713th Apr 2010 9:08 pm
turboted

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hey guys, do all D3's have a FBH? Question

Post #65061418th May 2010 9:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >