DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Living without the FBH??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Living without the FBH??

FBHs on both D3s are no longer playing, qualifying criteria well & truely met as both cars stone cold & temp below freezing, batteries good & half tank plus in them. Now the fbh faults on mine were cleared and it worked great 2 weeks ago however not any more.

If this is a case of once the dealer resets it and it works there, only to find it doesn't the next day, what are the implications re running without the FBH??? Not warming up as quickly is one I can live with. Anything else I should be aware of??

TIA

Post #6123621st Mar 2010 4:14 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Apparently 80% of engine wear occurs during cold starting until an engine reaches nominal operating temperature - so the quicker the engine warms up the better.

I also suspect you'll find you're using more fuel as the engine will have to work harder to compensate. I know it sounds daft but I read somewhere (and it may well have been on here) that the extra the FBH uses when run normally is offset by the increased efficience of having an engine warm up quicker.

Post #6123661st Mar 2010 4:18 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Why not see if there's a Webasto dealers in your area and see if they can spread some "independant" light on it.

Post #6123671st Mar 2010 4:19 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

Mines been on / off for years - apart from engine not warming quickly, pretty sure it's OK

Post #6123691st Mar 2010 4:20 pm
TSR2

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Interesting Matthias. I was always under the impression that the FBH was for our comfort only. That the engine did not give off enough heat from the dieseling process so it was added to bring the temperature up to our requirement for the car heating system. The engine runs quite cool, which is more efficient less waste heat and as far as I can remember the manual says start up and drive off not to leave it idling for a long period. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

But then again I have been wrong before...... Embarassed Embarassed Wink
 Regards, Trev.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
In the wilds of North Lincs or the middle of the North Sea. 

Post #6123721st Mar 2010 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MrH

United Kingdom 

Hi Trev - my comments above about "80% of the wear", aren't based specifically on the D3/TDV6 engine. This is information from before the Disco 3 existed when I was looking into how to prolong the life of another diesel engined car, and I think it's also what Kenlowe used to quote for the electric pre-heaters they did/do.

But I too have been wrong in the past Laughing

Post #6123831st Mar 2010 4:35 pm
TSR2

You would have thought that it wouldn't be hard to get right but here we are with conflicting information from different sources...... Shocked Shocked

A bit like "run the guts out of the engine when you run it in" to get the best from the engine. Probably correct but takes some getting used to especially when you have 35 years of "take it easy when running in"..DOH! Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Regards, Trev.

Post #6124021st Mar 2010 4:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think the main function of the FBH is due to the inefficiency of diesel engines when cold - especially the TDV6 which seems to struggle to get up to temperature quickly (as mentioned) in cold climate conditions. Surely this means that it is inefficient as it is too efficient? Laughing

The idea is that the FBH brings the coolant temp up to correct operating temperature as quickly as possible to reduce emissions.

In part I'm sure it's also a (marketing) "feature" to keep us toasty warm, but I think the hard facts are mainly to do with emissions from cold start etc Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6124091st Mar 2010 5:11 pm
TSR2

Paul,
The lower the temperature that the dieseling takes place within reason the lower the wasted heat and the higher the dieseling efficiency. Heat is a waste by product of the chemical to mechanical energy conversion so the lower engine temperature is good for efficiency but not so good for us when it's cold. Petrol engines run at a much higher temperature and have a much higher temperature gradient at start up and I would suggest suffer much more if not warmed up properly. Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle
 Regards, Trev.

Post #6124301st Mar 2010 5:43 pm
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Having had 2 D3's in the last 4 years and only now got the FBH working on the latest one I can say I had not noticed anything detrimental at all !!!!!.......... Shocked

If anything now mine is smoking like a goodun I appear to be using more fuel Big Cry

Post #6124311st Mar 2010 5:43 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

TSR2 - can you say that again in English? Shocked Laughing I've read your message three times and still don't understand anything Laughing Embarassed

So you're saying that the FBH is not there to improve emissions in the 10 minutes following a cold start situation? Question Whistle
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #6124351st Mar 2010 5:53 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Living without the FBH??

DSL wrote:

If this is a case of once the dealer resets it and it works there, only to find it doesn't the next day,

Exactly what happened to my FBH !!

So, what is the reason for this - is it diesel gunk in the system?

and more importantly,

what is the cure - is this a Faultmate & purging job ?
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #6124401st Mar 2010 6:02 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Having a warm engine reduces internal friction considerably, so reducing engine wear and improving fuel efficiency.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #6124421st Mar 2010 6:09 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I would be looking at the fuel supply. Thumbs Up

However, apart from following the pipe back from the heater, I have no idea where to look, or what to look for. Confused

Maybe there is a filter thats blocked, or the fuel pump is faulty, or has a loose connection, or there is a split in the pipe somewhere letting air into the fuel supply. Loads of possibilities really, any of which could lock it out.

Post #6124811st Mar 2010 7:16 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Thanks for the above!! The only one that concerns me is engine wear. I don't give a monkeys re emissions, I'm running on MTRs in the snow & ice so mpg is crap anyway, a little more crap is not an issue. The car warms up fine in 3 or 4 miles at 60mph so comfort is not an issue, not with heated seats & steering wheel Smile

Now re extra engine wear, does this mean if the FBH was not doing it's stuff then the engine will pack up at 299000 miles instead of 300000, then i'm not worried. If however it's going to pack up at 75000 rather than 80000, that's a matter for concern! What, in practice, does a little more cold running mean?? Considering the FBHs worked fine last year I can consider the "extra wear clock" to have just started.

Thoughts peeps??

Post #6125411st Mar 2010 8:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >