Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Locks and Heavy Steering
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Jamstew

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Locks and Heavy Steering

Hi I have a discovery 4 2010 HSE and it has a few faults my wife is pushing me to fix and I think it is about time I did it. I would be grateful for any help.

1. Boot won't open. I think it is the micro swatch in the upper section. Occasionally and with force it will open but most of the time it won't budge. I am assuming it is part LR073594?

2. The steering used to be light and now it is feeling heavy. I have checked the steering fluid but it seems clear. I am guessing from reading other posts it is the lower steering column. Would someone be able to tell me how I could check it if it were this part? I have heard that it would feel notchy but not sure if I do. Could it be the power steering belt?

3. The passenger rear door won't lock or open using the fob or touch close feature. If I go into the car and lock it using the lock button it works just not with the central locking. Again I'm thinking it is the door actuator but I would like to make sure.

Any suggestions to the above would be much appreciated. If anyone could recommend someone in the London who would be able to have a look to confirm even better. Its difficult to find a good mechanic.

Many thanks

James

Post #19603485th Jul 2018 3:41 pm
Jamstew

Boot / Tailgate Update.

Hi All

I have had some progress on the issues

3. Changed the passenger actuator. The door now locks and opens as new

2. Will attempt next week.

1. Have changed the handle on the upper tailgate and didn't solve the issue. Changed the actuator and latch on the bottom half. This still did not open the boot. We took out the top part of the lock and placed it into the latch at the bottom. Using the key to unlock, it pushed out the top latch very time time without an issue. It looked like the top part of the latch was not going low enough into the bottom half when attached to the car. We put in 2 washes to give it a better fit. Now the boot will open but only after 3 presses of the handle (always 3 presses) but the boot will not close very easily. Has to be pushed really hard.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what else I can try on the boot, its getting very frustrating now?

Post #196847028th Jul 2018 8:25 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Regarding the steering, its most likely the lower joint as you say. Sometimes there will be a trace of rust round the cups on the UJ if its seizing but its not 100%.

Post #196854428th Jul 2018 11:38 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Gain access to the lower steering UJ and give it a good dosing with WD40. This should free it up if it's seizing but will only be a short term fix. Should allow you to confirm that this is the problem if the WD40 returns your steering to its original performance.

Also, what do you mean when you say the boot has be pushed really hard to close it?
Does it hinge freely or is that what you're working against with the really hard statement?
Sorry but I can't understand that part of your description. Embarassed
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #196854928th Jul 2018 11:48 pm
Jamstew

Hi Narpy,

I bought a new lower steering column last week and will attempt to replace next week.

For the boot issue, it seems to only get to the half lock. It feels like is being pushed out to this position and not allowing the full close. It is only when I slam the boot will it stay in the locked position and it takes a few attempts.

I took out the latch from the top half of the boot and placed it in the latch in the bottom half to see if it works and all goes in and release without an issue. It is only when I screw it back to the upper section that it won't lock fully.

I have already changed the lower actuator and lock in the lower half and the handle in the upper section, so these are all new. I could post a video to make it clearer?

Many thanks

James

Post #196864329th Jul 2018 11:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >