Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

How long for a Battery to last ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
How long for a Battery to last ?

How long will a d3 battery last in general.

I have owned mine 2 and a bit years and I have already put one battery on. Number one Questions is should the battery last more than 2 years, I actually thought it had a 3 year guarantee, but I cant find the paperwork and can´t remember where I replaced it, as I had to replace it on a journey.

Obviously at least its second battery, the car is 2005 model. So, two batterys in 5 years ?

But it seems I need a new one. Keeps loosing its charge, and I have to jump it.

I do only drive it once or twice per week but that shouldn´t have any effect, should it ?

Maybe something is draining it over the week ? I only use it at weekends normally.

Post #65424628th May 2010 2:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

One on my car lasted 3 3/4 years, SWMBO's just under 3 years. Correct re 3 year warranty, carry mine in the car so can take it to any stealer. Thumbs Up

Mind you if your battery has been replaced in the initial 3 year warranty AFAIK the warranty on the battery finishes at 3 years as well. Sad

Post #65424828th May 2010 2:11 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

When I only drove mine once or twice a week it killed the battery as it never got properly charged up. I replaced it and bought an Optimate-4 charger to keep it in good condition.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #65425028th May 2010 2:12 pm
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I suppose they can check it before they replace it ?

Can I check it myself ? I have a multimeter, but not sure what I should expect to see on the readout, anyone explain ?

J@mes wrote:
When I only drove mine once or twice a week it killed the battery as it never got properly charged up. I replaced it and bought an Optimate-4 charger to keep it in good condition.

Post #65425428th May 2010 2:16 pm
al cope

England 

a multimeter will only usually tell you the voltage, which if below 11v isnt great, but when the battery is put under load (trying to start it), it could pull down way lower than this if the battery is in poor condition. Its the batteries ability to supply current as well as voltage that's key for starting the car.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #65425928th May 2010 2:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

we use a drop tester at work, which is basically a short circuit bar with a volt meter on it. The short circuit causes a huge flow of current and the voltmeter tells you how many volts it is supplying even with the short circuit on. Most garages should have one.

failing that, leave the engine off but ignition on then switch EVERY electrical item on - all heated items, blowers, lights, radio etc then try taking a volt reading - should be over 12v still.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #65426028th May 2010 2:33 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Why is it that the D3 seems to eat batteries ?

My D2 had the original battery when I sold it at 9 years old - apparently still 100%.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #65439328th May 2010 9:18 pm
mzplcg

England 

Mine's original. 05 plate D3 HSE. Still works fine.

Post #65440428th May 2010 9:57 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

D3 has so much electronics in it to power, thats why is got a 150Amp alternator.

The battery life is down to what you do with it Smile

If you started the car every day and drove it for, say 20miles to a destination and then back and did nothing else the battery will last a long time but its the short stop start journeys and not running the car every day that kills it.

General rule with Lead-Acid batteries is keep them topped up with water and charged and they will keep going Thumbs Up

A drop tester draws about 50Amps of the battery, the old test used to be put the headlights on and measure the voltage after a minute as this took the surface charge off it. Not sure if you can put the headlights on in the Disco without anything else. Question Putting the key in the ignition on mine draws way over 10A

Post #65442828th May 2010 11:12 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Scott, if you want to get an idea of what charge state you have in your battery, next time you don’t drive your D3 for a day or two, unlock it and pop the bonnet.

Don’t put your key in the ignition.

Measure the voltage at the battery terminals and see what you get.

As posted above, if your not driving enough, you will shorten the battery’s life span and the cold temps over there just exacerbate the problem.

You start out with a cold battery and it takes more time to charge it.

If you are only doing short drives a few times a week, as suggested above, a battery charge, even a very small one, could give your battery a much longer life span.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #65495531st May 2010 8:50 am
Bornslippy

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I also had my battery replaced as well on warranty.

I now cycle to the station so the car only gets used once a week.

In the interests of saving money on replacement batteries after the warranty has run out, and indeed minimising the risk of having an undriveable car at some critical moment - "does the panel think" that it would make sense to put a maplin £8 solar panel in the car ? Would need to modify one of the 12v sockets so that they are permanently conencted otherwise it wouldn't do any good at all Smile

Clearly it would work less well in Winter when it is probably needed the most. Whistle

But it might do something to help...
 Very Black 07 HSE. Sometimes with added mud. Sometimes towing a boat. Always grinning.  
Post #65496831st May 2010 9:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Bornslippy, if you park outside then a solar panel, around the 10w size would do your battery the would of good and at 10w you would not need a regulator.

Because of the distance you are from the equator, you can position the panel at a steep angle and mount it in the rear window, just make sure you park facing north.

If you park under cover then mount the solar panel on a roof or wall facing south and then run a lead to the D3.

In either case, you are far better off connecting directly to the battery itself and if you run a length of thin twin cable from the battery terminals to a point just inside the grill, where you can reach it.

Fit something like a set of Anderson 30 amp PowerPoles to the twin cable and another set on the cable coming from the solar panel.

This way you don’t have to pop the bonnet to charge the battery.

A little tip, leave enough slack cable coming from the solar panel so you can plug into the grill plugs and then drape the cable over the driver’s side mirror to remind you you have the panel connected.
Post #65497831st May 2010 10:11 am
Kentuckykid69

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Drivesafe

Quote:
In either case, you are far better off connecting directly to the battery itself and if you run a length of thin twin cable from the battery terminals to a point just inside the grill, where you can reach it.
Fit something like a set of Anderson 30 amp PowerPoles to the twin cable and another set on the cable coming from the solar panel.
This way you don’t have to pop the bonnet to charge the battery.

You have got it in one - this is the best soluction of all - I use a Optimate SP3 trickle charger - I have connected leads from the battery and have run then down the inside of the engine bay (armoured cables) which run to the front grill - so I do not have to open the bonnet to charge it. The Optimate 3 charger comes with a connection block that has a water proof cover - so is wade/water proof - I have also put a in -line fuse just in case.

I tend to connect up and charge the whole battery once a week - for 24hrs. The battery is now 5 years old on one of our D3's
So - I hope it will last a long time has never ever missed a beat.

Post #65501531st May 2010 12:25 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Kentucky, yep it’s an oldie but a goodie.

Over here, lots of cockies do this with their farm gear when it’s left for long periods between seasonal use.
Post #65502131st May 2010 12:53 pm
Kentuckykid69

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Hi drivesafe

Cheers mate 8)

kk69

Post #6552431st Jun 2010 6:16 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >