DISCO4.COM > General

looking to buy a disco 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
tibout

Ireland 
looking to buy a disco 3

Hi guys

I'm new to the forum but very familiar with land rover defender and disco 2. i'm currently running a td5 110 which i enjoy so much. I do all the work myself on her.

I'm looking at getting a disco 3 as family is expanding....But as much as I'm very comfy around the defender and disco 2 I have no knowledge at all about the disco 3.

well I would like to know what year and model is best which one to avoid.

what are the things to watch for when viewing one.

Also what mods could be done to makes it better.

I'm sure the topic has been covered loads but couldn't find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciate

regards

thierry

Post #187896013th Nov 2017 7:27 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would say dont buy anything until you have read every new post every day for a few weeks then you will get a good idea of what is what.
There are going to be so many opinions

Post #187896913th Nov 2017 7:42 pm
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do your homework read lots drive as many as you can to get a feel for what a good one feels like to drive. Don't be afraid to ask questions for people to explain things you don't understand. GLWYS (Search)

I am in similar position but almost at the end of my education theory anyway hopefully moving from D2 to D3 then practical begins Thumbs Up

Post #187897813th Nov 2017 7:52 pm
tibout

Ireland 

Thanks Guys

Since joining the forum i'm just reading and loads seems to be going wrong but they do get fixed as well hopefully i'll know a bit more in a few weeks and have a better understanding of the disco 3

Post #187899013th Nov 2017 8:20 pm
OJ

Scotland 
Re: looking to buy a disco 3

tibout wrote:
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum but very familiar with land rover defender and disco 2. i'm currently running a td5 110 which i enjoy so much. I do all the work myself on her.

I'm looking at getting a disco 3 as family is expanding....But as much as I'm very comfy around the defender and disco 2 I have no knowledge at all about the disco 3.

regards

thierry

Hi thierry

I moved over from 20+ years of Defenders to a D4, I did a lot of homework first, like you did most of my own maintenance and was worried about the electronics on the Disco, you need to read through posts on the forum, I read some horror stories but also read some good stories, think it depends a lot on the cars mileage, history and maintenance, so homework is essential and a thorough test drive, delve into and check everything works as it should, depending if your buying private or a dealer, warranty from the latter and don’t be afraid to ask on the forum about the car your thinking of getting, might flag up something, if its possible and theres an experienced forum member close to you he might be willing (small donation of beer and food) to go along and check it out with you.
I like the D4 for its comfort, loads of space for the dogs etc, towing is effortless and its so quiet, nothing negative (as yet) its even better on fuel consumption than the last Defender.

Still learning though, good luck with your search, don’t be afraid to walk away if you have that gut feeling! There’s always another, check the for sale section on there forum.

Cheers
OJ Thumbs Up

Post #187899313th Nov 2017 8:31 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: looking to buy a disco 3

tibout wrote:
Hi guys

regards

thierry

I’ll be the first V8 guy to say that it is a simpler and more straight forward engine than the TDV6 which has turbos, intercoolers, glow plugs, crank shaft issues, timing belts and who knows what else that can break Wink I’m reasonably certain most V8 owners would say the same, most of us don’t complain about the fuel mileage either.

S vs SE vs HSE - I think this comes down to your local market and your own taste. Here S/SE tends to be without leather while HSE has it always and has the Logic7 stereo system, too. You probably want a 7 seater.

That being said - surf all the D3 forums here for at least a few weeks to a few months and you’ll be rewarded with a more complete understanding of your future vehicle.

While it might sound expensive, you really do need a proper OBD2 tool. I favor IID (BT version, please) but there are others. I believe most people would say the IID enjoys almost a cult like status for D3 and D4. If nothing else it saves you a trip to the shop since you can read the codes yourself and if you’re handy fixing things it’ll help you even more.

Good luck with your search Thumbs Up

Post #187899413th Nov 2017 8:34 pm
OJ

Scotland 

Thumbs Up excellent advice about the IID BT tool, good to have handy.

Post #187900213th Nov 2017 9:00 pm
tibout

Ireland 

Hi guys

Thanks for taking time to write back. I'm planning of buying maybe in January so gives myself plenty of time to learn more about the D3. I'd love a D4 but it's out of my budget. Looking for a 5 seater (crew cab ) for tax purpose. HSE would be great.

Mpg wouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm using the defender td5 as daily driver and I do get around 30-32mpg which is great for a landie.

What would be a V8 compare to TDV6 on mpg?

Would I be better looking at a later model rather than earlier as some of the issues might have been fixed. Maybe a 08-09 HSE model.

I'll put a link up here once I find something which might be the one.

Thanks again

Regards

Thierry

Post #187920114th Nov 2017 10:47 am
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Which ever age you buy check to see if there is evidence of the oil pump casing being upgraded, and if there isn't, factor the price in. Many of the originals break which in turn ruins the engine.

Extremely obvious but I'll say it anyway.........check the belts have been done also!

Depending on it's mileage you may want to budget for a gearbox flush if you go for an auto.

Check which compressor is fitted, AMK is the newer and more reliable version. Also check the suspension raises and lowers as it should.

If looking at an auto make sure there is no juddering under load or when going up hill as this could be a sign the auto box is on it's way out, or at least the torque converter.

Just a few things to look out for!

Post #187920614th Nov 2017 11:03 am
tibout

Ireland 

Thanks that's great advice.

For the oil casing is it just a matter of looking at it or will I have to ask and trust the owner? I'll be looking at one with service history of possible. Compressor wise if I understand I should be looking at the part number you mention.

Thanks again

Post #187925214th Nov 2017 12:33 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

tibout wrote:

Mpg wouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm using the defender td5 as daily driver and I do get around 30-32mpg which is great for a landie.

I get around 14.6 L/100 km when driving mixed city/highway. You get better mileage if you drive highway only at 70-90 km/h and worse if you drive city-only or stop and drive very often... around 20L/100 km or so.

As a reference a D4 3.0 TDV6 did around 11.5 L/100 km driving mixed.

Post #187940514th Nov 2017 5:47 pm
Felstmiester

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It was only the fact our discovery was brought for the wife to use else without a doubt I’d have gone for a v8. The tdv6 is ok as far as performance ( well you can live with it ) and economy but when it goes wrong you need deep pockets.

And don’t be fooled by a fully stamped service book to prove it’s been looked after. Anyone can get a stamp made and put anything down. As well as the car looking like it’s been well looked after I like to see receipts with dates etc. I’m not one for full main dealer history I think you can tell how a cars been looked after by having a good look around it.

Like said read and read on here. Whatever isn’t on here about the discovery is not worth knowing. I came on this forum weeks before I started looking to buy our one and I was pretty clued up by the time I was ready to buy.

On the bright side. We’ve had loads of family based cars from Range Rover sports, vogues, Volvo XC90, and many more but for all round practicality the disco wins hands down.

Post #187943914th Nov 2017 6:30 pm
tibout

Ireland 

thats great stuffs guys. i'm member of a land rover club here and they are great help. But reading through a few post here is helping already. I've notice V8 tend to be a bit more popular than the diesel....Looking at the option here i'll say I would have to settle for a good TDV6. but I will keep an open mind and try to drive both.

Post #187956814th Nov 2017 10:15 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

tibout wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks for taking time to write back. I'm planning of buying maybe in January so gives myself plenty of time to learn more about the D3. I'd love a D4 but it's out of my budget. Looking for a 5 seater (crew cab ) for tax purpose. HSE would be great.

Would I be better looking at a later model rather than earlier as some of the issues might have been fixed. Maybe a 08-09 HSE model.

I'll put a link up here once I find something which might be the one.

Thanks again

Regards

Thierry

Welcome to the fold. As the crewcab rules have changed here in Ireland i think you are limited to already registered crewcabs here in Ireland, so that will limit your choice. As for finding a V8 D3 here they are rare. I’m not sure if many/any V8 D3’s are crewcab here. Good luck in your search and check in here for as much information as you can find. Ps I bought my D3 7 years ago from Burtons in Wicklow and they had it spot on, hadn’t a single issue with it during warranty and when time comes to replace it they will be first to be called.

Post #187962315th Nov 2017 12:31 am
tibout

Ireland 

Hi thanks I've heard the crowd in Wicklow but haven't chat to them yet. I guess I have a bit more time before I make my decision. Will be test driving a couple this weekend just to get the feel of them. Haven't drove a D3 before so all new to me.

If I do get one which is already tax as a crewcab would that make a difference? Haven't read the new rules yet

Post #187964015th Nov 2017 8:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >