Page 1 of 6 123456>
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Loss of power in TDV6

Classification
Mechanical

Problem
While cruising at constant speed (100kmh or 60mph) under cruise control or without the D3 lost power while climbing long hills and along the flat. The accelerator would not respond and changing to Manual mode and down a gear or 2 made no difference. No errors on display.

Affected vehicles
TDV6

Reported
26th July 2005 by PCH in post 8558

Reported Cases

Occurs
Intermittently

Submitted to dealer network
Yes

Dealer Response
Tested systems for 2 days and found some corroded connectors on the engine but did not really identify if they had resolved the fault.

Submitted to LR Customer Services
?

LR CS Response Reported
None

Fix/Solution
Still investigating

Other Comments
None

Post #880628th Jul 2005 1:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Discussion of the issue in this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2577

Post #3678810th Jan 2006 1:16 pm
m.balshy

Wales 
LACK OF POWER

i know on early models there was a fault with the turbo`s there is a tsb to follow to check cirtain displayed fault codes on wds/ids that would indecate replacement of the turbo need to know more about your vehical before i can help really!!!!

Post #9632022nd Oct 2006 10:43 pm
PeanutBob

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Well, I have had earlier this year 5 instances of loss of power, usually when exiting the Mersey Tunnel! At first, I thought it was a turbo problem, but i soon cottoned on to the fact it was an electronic glitch. Restarting the engine cured the problem. Not had it recently, but I had a truck driver in our yard who had similar problem with his wagon! The Disco 3 seemed to be running in safe mode.

Post #9661724th Oct 2006 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m.balshy

Wales 
LACK OF POWER

thats why i said i need to know more before i could help! when you turn the ignition off an restart it again you cycle the ignition an if its an occouring fault this could tempory clear it unless you got access to an ids program or wds program and the hardwear it will make life very hard to try to diagnose! unless you know somethin i dont.

Post #9694826th Oct 2006 7:15 pm
Richard(Jim)B

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Had this fault early on and cured it each time by restarting the car. Also noted it on the demo car. Left in at the dealer and no trouble since though I don't know what they actually did.

Post #9695326th Oct 2006 7:35 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I've only had this once.

I went from gravel to sand and changed the TR dial accordingly and raised to off road height at the same time (whislt still driving at about 20kph). Then there was loss of power, but no warnings/faults.

I think I may have tried to change too many settings too quickly and confused the car.

I stopped the car, switched the TR to normal, waited a few seconds then switched it back to Sand and all was fine.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10041210th Nov 2006 9:16 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The Tr does affect the throttle response, grass gravel snow it slows the response, sand it increases it, so what you describe is the wrong way round! so I expect you did confuse it somehow.

Post #10041610th Nov 2006 9:19 am
Jamo

Australia 

YEah, It actually slowed the thottle response to almost nil. I put the foot to the floor and the car moved at less than a crawl.

When I went back to normal then to sand again, I put the foot down to test and almost took out a fence!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #10042010th Nov 2006 9:25 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

if you get the engine cooling fan running all the time and what feels like a rev limiter progressively coming in above 2500 RPM, it is most likely to be a bad connection on the fuel temp sensor or dirt / oil on the intake air sensor.... both easily cured in the field, the fuel temp sensor is just in front of the oil filter and has a red plug, just slide the connector on and off a few times to wipe the contacts. the intake air temp sensor can be seen when the air filter box is open, it's a little black thermistor about the size of a match head just inside the air induction pipework next to the white plastic block

Post #10044310th Nov 2006 10:18 am
DWillerton

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have had an issue with my 3000ml TDV6 running in safe mode, too, sometimes with the orange engine warning light on, sometimes not. Restarting the engine clears the fault. Fault particularly prone to occurring when towing, though has come on without. Once had to cross a very busy roundabout at 10mph - made lots of friends that time!

Reported it to my dealer at first service and they said the vehicle's ECU had logged a fault with the turbo. They also said they had had one other vehicle with the same problem. And replacing the turbo sorted the problem on that one, so if the light came back on on my vehicle they would replace the turbo.

Light came on the next day (!) and the turbo is now due to be replaced as soon as they can get one (couple of weeks time).

Will let you know how it all goes.

Post #1538712nd May 2007 11:10 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have a 2007 D3 TDV6 S (new spec - with leather seats and cruise control). On a recent long trip the engine would go into limp mode as soon as engine reaches 4000 rpm. This only happens after travelling for some time at +- 120 kmh. As soon as you need extra power - typical overtaking situation, and auto kicks back to 5th or 4th gear and then at exactly 4000 rpm it will lose all power. Once the engine has idled for a couple of seconds it will be normal again. Only sometimes does a "engine management fault" message appear. Under stop/start driving the revs would go beyond 4000 without problem.

Local dealer has put it down to dirt in fuel filter (only after I told them that I had been travelling through Botswana). Due to no spare filter available for this specific model (apparently it is different to the previous models), they only cleaned it. Same thing happened last week-end under similar conditions. Once the (new)spare filter has has arrived and fitted I will test again - hopefuly the filter is the cause, although I would still query the capacity of the filter if it cloggs up within first 6000 kms of a brand new vehicle.

Post #17934418th Jul 2007 10:58 am
djangonut

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

My Disco diesel manual was purchased new in May.

Twice it has been back to Sturgess, Leicester for loss of power and the traction control light(s) not being on. The fault always clears when the engine is switched off and restarted. The second time Sturgess said that they needed to order a crank sensor. They had the car in to fit the sensor but could not find any fault so again did nothing.

Driving past Sturgess today the same loss of power and no light from the traction control symbol(s) occurred. Without turning off the engine, I drove in, and they connected the vehicle to the computer. A fault did show, and apparently there is a TSB regarding faulty traction control units. This fault did not show when the engine was turned off and restarted, so I was lucky that I happened to be close to Sturgess when it happened. They had to believe me!

A software download was done to the vehicle. The vehicle drove home OK. If the fault recurs the service manager said that a replacement traction control unit would be fitted.

John

Post #21654718th Oct 2007 11:04 pm
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

This happened twice to me in the first 1000kms in my Feb 07 D3 Manual. The dealers sad they replaced a part in the gearbox!!! It didn't happen after that.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #21668719th Oct 2007 1:16 pm
Dicky Dash

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
power loss

Hi,ive had problems with powerloss on my td v6.It was diagnosed as a faulty injector,this also increased the oil level.The dealer rectified this problem but has since gone back in for high oil level and small loss of power(5 times)Each time i was told as there was no problem registering on the computer,there wasnt a problem and there was nothing they could do!!! Just taken it back in today with oil level 1 inch over full.so they plugged it in,it showed a fault on egr valve but all injectors were ok.(this test was done on tick over) When asked if the test could be done under load they said no.So i now wonder if these so called "tests"that they run can really give an accurate reading? To me it is obvious there is a fault on this vehicle as oil levels dont increase on their own!!! but because the computer says" no fault" i have been told there is nothing that they can do..Cheers to a well known dealer in Huddersfield!!! If anyone has any ideas on this fault that isnt there then please get in touch.Thanks..

Post #30373628th May 2008 11:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >