Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

I do love D4's...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
I do love D4's...

Just bought a 65 plate HSE Lux to replace my current 162K HSE D4. I think it's my 4th D4 with at least as many D3's too.

Black & black, with all the bells & whistles, love it.

Swimming pool in both footwells inevitably, tow hook rusted in socket, gear knob illumination erratic, but other than that pretty good. Tow hook now removed, hairdryer going all weekend in the footwells (energy crisis, what energy crisis... Big Cry ).

They are just great cars and still take some beating.

An unashamedly pro-D4 post. Very Happy

Chris

Post #23139827th Nov 2022 2:29 pm
Disco4Chris

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I've just got a 15 plate HSE Lux and my tow ball is stuck in the socket too! I don't think its been out since it was new Shocked
How did you get yours out please?

Post #23140187th Nov 2022 5:17 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

On a plus side if you don’t fit another alarm / immobiliser you won’t have it long and it will be someone else’s problem.! Lol!
I miss mine..it was a beautiful car and light years ahead of the D3 for nvh …

Post #23140227th Nov 2022 6:03 pm
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Disco4Chris wrote:
I've just got a 15 plate HSE Lux and my tow ball is stuck in the socket too! I don't think its been out since it was new Shocked

Took the lock out (it wouldn't shift at all), took the spare wheel off, beat the leaving daylights out of the pin that locks it into the frame (it went back relatively easily and it's easy to get to with the spare off), then got a sledge hammer and gave it a few 'gentle' knocks on each side until it fell off.

Be careful it doesn't drop on you as you knock the pin back in, but if it's anything like mine, it was rusted pretty solidly.

The hook is surplus as I've already got one, but I think if you're careful hammering the pin back in, once you free it off, it should be OK to reuse.

Thumbs Up

Post #23140277th Nov 2022 6:10 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The removable tow hook is removable, it seems, if you take it out regularly and only put it in when you are actually going to tow, I find. Even a month or two in summer left in and it's a hammer job to get it out. I suppose it's inevitable it's going to get wet and mucky where it is.

Post #23140817th Nov 2022 9:41 pm
Disco4Chris

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

ballast wrote:
Disco4Chris wrote:

Took the lock out (it wouldn't shift at all), took the spare wheel off, beat the leaving daylights out of the pin that locks it into the frame (it went back relatively easily and it's easy to get to with the spare off), then got a sledge hammer and gave it a few 'gentle' knocks on each side until it fell off.

Be careful it doesn't drop on you as you knock the pin back in, but if it's anything like mine, it was rusted pretty solidly.

The hook is surplus as I've already got one, but I think if you're careful hammering the pin back in, once you free it off, it should be OK to reuse.

Thumbs Up

Thanks Ballast, I'll have ago and hopefully save my hook Thumbs Up
 Cheers
Chris
1999 D2 TD5 Manual
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Luxury

HAMPSHIRE & BERKSHIRE 4X4 RESPONDER - Call sign HR086 

Post #23141578th Nov 2022 11:47 am
qcnr

Norway 

Pedros wrote:
The removable tow hook is removable, it seems, if you take it out regularly and only put it in when you are actually going to tow, I find.

Why would you even leave it in?
I've always, on the odd occasion I have towed a trailer, unhitched trailer, then immediately removed tow hook.
I think it looks horrible just hanging there, especially if people don't put the bumper cover back on, as well.

Post #23141878th Nov 2022 1:39 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Big splodge of grease helps to make life easier come removal time.

Post #23141978th Nov 2022 2:08 pm
ballast

qcnr wrote:
Pedros wrote:
The removable tow hook is removable, it seems, if you take it out regularly and only put it in when you are actually going to tow, I find.

Why would you even leave it in?
I've always, on the odd occasion I have towed a trailer, unhitched trailer, then immediately removed tow hook.
I think it looks horrible just hanging there, especially if people don't put the bumper cover back on, as well.

Agreed. Also, it's got a full LRSH, you'd have thought they might have commented/removed it/greased it. OK, you wouldn't really because they're LR main dealers..... I hate the look of them as you say.

Anyway, all sorted. Just in case anyone has enough interest to read this far, I'm struggling to find the build info for the car. I've followed various links and I'm sure a few years ago you could get the info via Topix, but I can't. If anyone knows how to get original build info, including options, etc., I'd be most grateful.

Thanks all, as always the forum is an absolute gem of wisdom.

Post #23142818th Nov 2022 10:01 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Try vindecoderz to get the build spec of your car Thumbs Up
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #231982222nd Dec 2022 11:41 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

ballast wrote:
Disco4Chris wrote:

Thumbs Up

If you've managed to extract a tow hook that has been stuck in via corrosion, I'd recommend it is not re-used. The corrosion on the surface of the tow hook or in the receiver that was causing the initial seizure could break or collapse when in use, causing the hook to become loose enough in the receiver to become unsecured and fall out.

Removeable tow hooks should be removed, cleaned and stored safely after each use. If you don't want to do that, or can't do that, buy a non-removable alternative, such as a TowTrust unit.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #231984523rd Dec 2022 10:28 am
Jmcook

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I did a full refurb on my tow ball. Went from being bin fodder to operating super smoothly. At £200 for a replacement, if it's just minor rust I would defo recommend reconditioning.

Post #232820127th Feb 2023 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >