Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Low power at higher speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pcaulfie

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Low power at higher speeds

I’ve searched this issue beyond my own comprehension and feel like I’m spinning my wheels. Lots of things considered via searching this forum but I need some help narrowing down my troubleshooting. Here’s a series of events/symptoms and what I’ve done (unsuccessfully):

2009 LR3 Diesel w/160k miles

- Lost overall power which turned out was a bad EGR valve stuck open based on thrown code. Had left bank EGR replaced.
- Power restored after EGR replaced. Noticed on start-up car was idling rougher than usual but all was well after it warmed up.
- Worked well for a couple of months until the car went into limp mode after I was heavy on the accelerator. Received engine system fault and lost most power in limp mode. Pulled over and restarted – could drive away but really poor acceleration at high speeds.
- Car went into limp mode a few more times after hard acceleration. At higher speed car has lost power – seems slow to downshift (auto) if at all. Throttle response is low. Doesn’t feel as peppy in a passing scenario. Still has decent power from stop.
- When floored there is no smoke of any color from the exhaust.

What I’ve done:
- Worked the turbo actuator. It was moving pretty well – appears to go through the full motion range.
- Cleaned the MAF and MAP sensors.
- Replaced fuel filter.
- Checked other fluids, air filter, etc.
- Checked vacuum hoses (to the best that I can without removing). No whining/air sucking sounds or smoke.
- Replaced battery
- Ran diesel fuel system cleaner and two stroke through fuel tank.

Other observations:
- On cold start car exhaust is white smoke. Not too heavy but certainly noticeable.
- When it was running well, with a sudden press of the accelerator and downshift, I could get a decent amount of black smoke from the exhaust. That doesn’t happen now.
- When car is relatively cold, if I accelerate quickly, I hear what I can only describe as the injectors sputtering. Goes away when the engine fully warms up.

Final thoughts
- Been trying to narrow down to fuel system, turbo or EGRs. There are no codes so it’s tough to trouble shoot. What else should I consider?
- My gut says EGRs because they suck - even though one was just replaced – could the other not be closing completely? Maybe I should go ahead and replace the right bank EGR?
- The car has 160k miles on it. When I bought it, it was accidentally fueled with petrol. Ran 60 seconds before complete tank drain and fuel filter change. I was thinking it could be my low pressure fuel pump. Thinking I’ll do a voltage test.

After tweaking all of the above I can’t get it into limp mode but it just doesn’t power on like it used to. Any help to get me back on track with likely cause is appreciated!

Post #203825619th Mar 2019 8:46 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any fault codes?

Post #203836419th Mar 2019 3:36 pm
pcaulfie

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Nope, no codes.

Post #203839719th Mar 2019 5:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: