Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Lower wishbone knocking - safe to drive?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
patersp

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Lower wishbone knocking - safe to drive?

Hi All. I've had a relatively pain free two years driving with the Disco 4 but now have the knocking from the front on sharp braking or turning into my drive (over a small bump where the pavement joins the block paved driveway). I've done some research and it sounds like the front lower wishbones have gone. It's booked in for middle of May at the stealers (hopefully it's a warranty job - can anybody confirm?) but what I wanted to check is whether it's safe to drive still? Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

Post #193547311th Apr 2018 1:54 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Only you can make that decision. but if it were mine and it only knocked on hard braking etc, drove and stopped in a straight line I would happily drive it.

Post #193547911th Apr 2018 2:13 pm
patersp

Cheers. Yeah it's fine under normal conditions. Thanks for getting back to me. Has anybody else had any experience as to whether its a warranty job?

Post #193548711th Apr 2018 2:30 pm
cosmic329

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It is your call as lynalldiscovery says, however mine did this and the advice that the main dealer gave me was that it was wear in the bushes on the lower arms and would be safe to drive for a small period before they were changed. It can affect the steering and braking if very severe so I would be cautious but still drive it if it were me.

After changing the 2 lower arms, no more knocking and felt a bit more sorted to me (could have been in my head though!)
 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '65 - Projects in planning phase!

Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE '61 - gone
Discovery 3 Tdv6 HSE '56 - gone
Defender 90 Tomb Raider '51 - gone
Defender 110 XS '54 - gone 

Post #193552311th Apr 2018 3:57 pm
patersp

Finally got the Disco to the dealers. They have reported failures with the hydraulic bushes and lower ball joints - both related to the lower wishbones.

I’ve got one week left on the warranty so I’ve asked them to claim but they said it might be seen as normal wear and tear. I’ve seen a few other posts on this forum where this has been covered by the warranty but I’m preparing my defence for when they call Very Happy

Now I’m not sure this can be classed as normal wear and tear in the respect of the type you get with brakes, clutches, tyres etc. I would expect the suspension components of an off-road vehicle to last longer than they have on a vehicle which has never been taken off-road and has only done 67000 Miles in five years (not what I would class as high mileage).

Maybe I’m wrong in thinking this way? You never know, I may be surprised when they call and say it’s being done under warranty Laughing

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Post #194747723rd May 2018 1:39 pm
Dave T

England 

Think it will be a toss up at that age and mileage, it’s not that high, but it’s 5 years and a moderate mileage so far from being clear cut. If it was younger or less than 50k it would probably be more clear cut.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #194760423rd May 2018 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
patersp

Cheers Dave. It’s been two days now and I’m still none the wiser despite chasing them.

They have also found a mysterious warning light on the dash (which wasn’t there when I dropped it off) which has resulted in an MOT failure but they’re trying to work out what it is and whether that can go through the warranty as well. Rolling Eyes

This was after I questioned the failure of the bushes and why I feel it should be covered by the warranty.

Fun and games Laughing

Post #194765223rd May 2018 10:47 pm
patersp

Finally got in contact. The situation now is that it has passed the MOT with the suspension bushes being noted as an advisory. There is no excessive play and they are not deemed as dangerous so warranty company have washed their hands of it. The warning light on the dash was a red herring - nothing in the logs and it hasn’t come on since.

Does anybody have any advice as to what point would they be classed as dangerous or failed? They make a pretty loud ‘clonk’ on heavy breaking etc. The warranty expires in 6 days so if I’m going to push it further it has to be done pretty soon.

Guessing my hands are tied as it passed the MOT but I’m wondering what would’ve been said if it went in solely for the knocking noise.....

Thanks for all the help peeps.

Post #194776024th May 2018 12:20 pm
Dave T

England 

What does the policy document say about MOT and advisories? I would imagine it hasn't helped your case unfortunately
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #194776424th May 2018 12:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
patersp

Think I’ve been unlucky. Warranty mentions an MOT insurance but will only
kick in for anything blocking issue of a certificate (including suspension mounts). Advisories are a no go Big Cry

Learnt my lesson here. Maybe I should’ve slipped he technician a beer before he test Wink

Post #194777624th May 2018 12:59 pm
Sheepy

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I had mine done under warranty a few years ago, even though it wasn't bad enough to fail (had got advisories instead). Warranty company initially denied the claim saying it was wear and tear. Dealer countered that by showing the previous year MOT and service records which didn't show a knock from the suspension - they said this proved it wasn't a general progression as expect with wear and tear, but a sudden onset which indicated something catastrophic. Warranty company accepted that and stumped up a full front-end rebuild!

Post #194778224th May 2018 1:16 pm
patersp

Sheepy - you may have given me a get out of jail card! I’ve gone back to the dealer as I’m in exactly the same position - nothing mentioned on previous MOT or service.

The dealer quoted £513.65 for the work which I was quite surprised with (although still a lot of money).

Post #194778824th May 2018 1:36 pm
patersp

Bit of an update (not a good one unfortunately). I’ve fought and fought with the dealer and the warranty company and they won’t budge on their decision. Odd thing is I was quoted £513 for replacement so I rang around to try and get a better price but another dealer wants £1400!! What’s that all about???

I’m not letting this go though. I’m disgusted that an “off road” vehicle that has never been off road, a £70k car designed to do things most other cars can’t, has failed suspension bushes after 60k miles. Rant over... Razz

I recall from other posts that there is an LR rep on the forum. Can somebody point me in their direction as I want to take this further.

Thanks all.

Post #195259010th Jun 2018 8:40 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi

thinks that’s an average life of bushes for these vehicles , there weight doesn’t help Whistle

ref the £513 quote from a Dealer , if that’s to replace both lower wishbones and wheel alignment that’s a bargain

also considering i recently had a Dealers quote for just 4 x wheel alignment of £360

Last edited by gstuart on 10th Jun 2018 9:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #195260810th Jun 2018 9:49 pm
patersp

Cheers gstuart.

Does sound like a crazy price - sure they’ve messed up. Got it on email but they have gone quiet now I’ve asked them to book it in.

Found the customer relations thread so I’ve PM’d them. I keep finding threads on this forum where people have had theirs replaced under warranty.

Post #195261110th Jun 2018 9:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >