Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

LPG conversion for V8??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
JP

2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
LPG conversion for V8??

Does anyone know of any D3 V8 petrols being converted to run LPG? I am looking to buy a D3, but would want to convert it, as i get LPG autogas very cheap. Any info would be appreciated!

Post #2458323rd Oct 2005 7:53 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi JP - welcome to the site. Whereabouts in Warwickshire are you (my neck of the woods when I'm at home) Question

About LPG - someone much more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly Very Happy
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2458423rd Oct 2005 7:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JP

Hi, from village of Fillongley, not very exciting!

Post #2458623rd Oct 2005 8:01 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi JP, welcome to DISCO3 Very Happy

I haven't heard of anyone with an LPG kit on a V8, I would have thought your best bet is to contact some of the installers and see if they're doing one. It will invalidate your warranty though, if there was a LR approved kit available I'm sure we would have heard about it by now

Si
 The End  
Post #2458723rd Oct 2005 8:04 pm
BN

England 

JP wrote:
Hi, from village of Fillongley, not very exciting!

Hi JP, welcome, nothing to do with gas and also off topic, but my great great great grand parents are buried in the church there Shocked My great grand dad used to own the pub there as well. Still have relatives in the village. Believe Lenny Henry was born in Fillongley too, so a lot happens, especially when you get to meet me on the off road fun days hopefully Very Happy

LPG conversions are a bit new at the moment for the D3 engine. I think a firm in Holland, which is the best source as they have been doing it for years is the only one and I cannot recall the name at the moment. Will try and find it for you.

Post #2458823rd Oct 2005 8:07 pm
JP

Thanks, any info would be good.

I am not too worried about the warranty issues. In our family business we have a new Range Rover and two Freelanders on LPG, and we have never had problems with warranty. Last week the head gasket went on one of the Freelanders and it ended up with a ceased engine(the second time in 2 years!). The dealer replaced the engine under warranty with no mention of the LPG kit. I think generally they take the view that any problems have to directly linked to the LPG conversion to void the warranty.

Post #2461523rd Oct 2005 8:41 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Hi Jp
The experts on v8's and lpg are www.rpi.com
They're based in Norfolk
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #2465223rd Oct 2005 10:08 pm
JP

jeff wrote:
Hi Jp
The experts on v8's and lpg are www.rpi.com
They're based in Norfolk

Thanks for that, but I think the link is a little wrong! The site your link directs me to tells me lots about Hepatitis and Diabetes, but not alot about LPG!

Post #2466024th Oct 2005 6:12 am
DBVB

Netherlands 

Hi JP

I think Jeff meant http://www.rpiv8.com/engine.htm.

They have a lot of information of coverting to LPG. But not specialy the Disco3.

Good luck.

Theo

Post #2467124th Oct 2005 7:44 am
BN

England 

http://www.rpiv8.com/

Think thats the link and yes, this is the company I was thinking about.

Post #2467324th Oct 2005 7:48 am
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hello JP,
I've just taken delivery last Tuesday of a Discovery3 V8 which has been converted for LPG by AMR Autos at Stokesley North Yorks, tel 01642 711107. I used to have a TDV6 but this one blows it's socks off and all for 10p per mile ( about 42 mpg compared to the diesel ).

There is no loss in power and I can gaurantee both you and your wallet will have a smile on your face. Land Rover have indirectly stated that unless it can be shown that a defect is caused by the conversion, they will honour their warranty. On top of that, you can also get a warranty from the makers of the conversion kit.

I understand that as far as is known at present, mine is only the third in the country to be converted though that is open to challenge.

You can have a doughnut tank in the spare wheel compartment, but as that then causes a problem with where to put the spare wheel, I had the seventh seat removed ( never used them in 2 years) on the offside and installed 120 litre tank longitudinally. Andrew and his merry men at AMR Autos made such a neat job they actaully made the brackets to fit the bolt holes for the seat. That way if I decide to remove the kit, the seat will go back in and there are no unsightly holes. Also you still have 6 feet of luggage space down the nearside.

As far as cost, that was part of the deal for buying the new car from the dealers so you'll have to discuss that one with Andrew.

I've just got back from the weekend in the Scottish Highlands and the car which had 80 miles on last week, now has 2,000.

Several things to note about the V8. You will need a pilots licence cos it does take off from go ( actually got it airborn on one Scottish road), it's lots quieter than the TDV6 which makes the excellent radio even better. The gearbox is phenomenal and in sports mode revs to 6,000 revs which in second gear is about 60 mph. Between 2nd and 3rd, playing hard the car takes it's wax jacket and green wellies off, dons it's flame proof overalls and turns into a rally car. Dial the sat nav down to about 1/16th and you have your own pace notes. It's like having Nicky Grist sitting beside you as you turn into Colin Macrae. The car takes bends as if it was on rails and the suspension which at lower speeds is spongy and wallowy seems to stiffen up and grab the tarmac. In fact I've been into the dealers today asking about the adaptive suspension. Gimme!

If you want any further info I'm only too happy to oblige. The car's presently covered in Scottish mud and the wheels are a lovely graphite black colour but as soon as I clean it tomorrow I'll take some photos and let you see the tank etc.

Leo

Post #2471624th Oct 2005 5:49 pm
JP

Thanks, thats great info! I am well tuned into the benefits of the LPG, and have run various new Land Rovers (Freelanders and Range Rovers), and many other cars and vans, in my small company fleet for over 5 years now. I completely fail to see why many more people don't do it. The newer direct injection equipment is now so reliable, it just makes so much financial sense if you are doing any more than 10k-15k miles a year.

I would be very interested to see the photos of how they put the tank in.

Post #2471824th Oct 2005 6:07 pm
Monkeyhanger

I'll try and take some tomorrow for you.

Perhaps the reason people don't do it is cost. The V8 is 6K more expensive than the TDV6 and the conversion over 2K. That makes a lot of miles to make up. I only bought it cause it was a cracking deal. With LPG at 34.9p here in Hartlepool ( 29.9p in Leeds and Glasgow) I'm reaping the benefits. Can't seem to wipe the smile off my face at the moment.

Leo

Post #2472124th Oct 2005 6:14 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Monkeyhanger wrote:
I'll try and take some tomorrow for you.

Perhaps the reason people don't do it is cost. The V8 is 6K more expensive than the TDV6 and the conversion over 2K.

Offset that against buying 2nd hand perhaps?

At the Chatsworth show last month, I saw a 54 plate v8 HSE for £29k with average miles. The dealer (Guy Salmon- probably Chesterfield) couldn't shift it. I don't know what he would come down to price-wise, but you could get an awful lot of car for the money that way.
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #2472924th Oct 2005 6:34 pm
Monkeyhanger

That's how I got mine. A cancelled order that hadn't been out of the showroom and depreciating every day. If you're in the right place at the right time you can pick them up for a song.

Leo

Post #2473024th Oct 2005 6:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >