Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

LR D3 Accessories vs Frontrunner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LR D3 Accessories vs Frontrunner

Collected my plates, vehicle licence and registration papers from Sandton LR today. Browsed through their "All new Discovery 3" accessories brochure and got some prices - adding everything up I can almost buy a new Defender from them for the same price !@!

Some disappointments - cannot fit front and rear mudflaps on S - only on SE and HSE. Cannot fit fog lights as aftermarket as it is factory fitted on SE and HSE. I do not particulary like the "A-frame protection bar with driving lamps" - may be wrong but the whole set-up looks pretty flimsy to me.

Spoke to their service manager who indicated that Frontrunner roof rack is stronger and more versatile than LR's. Will try and visit Frontrunner tomorrow with a special request on their roof-racks: 1) Do an aluminium fold-up table slide underneath rack - lucky S hasn't got the fin on the rear and, 2) Do a flip-up "lid" the same size as sun-roof on the rack so that one can access rack from inside vehicle.

Will post their reponse - any other requests ?

Post #16218428th May 2007 6:24 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: LR D3 Accessories vs Frontrunner

Deondef wrote:
cannot fit front and rear mudflaps on S
yes you can - although some 5mm reinforced neoprene sheet and a few minutes with a sharp knife makes a better (and longer-lasting) job
Deondef wrote:
Cannot fit fog lights as aftermarket
you can if you don't mind hacking you bumper around, you'll also need the high-line light switch, the wiring should be there up to the RHS headlight
Deondef wrote:
Spoke to their service manager who indicated that Frontrunner roof rack is stronger and more versatile than LR's.
it Certainly is Thumbs Up BTW - the rack clears the PTI fin Wink  
Post #16218628th May 2007 6:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

Most of the bits sold as genuine accessories are not functional off road improvements. The front driving lamps are only 55w and not nearly as bright as good pair of Hella's or IPD's. The brush bars are cosmetic only. The roof rack is functional, but not as strong or accommodating as a Frontrunner or Hannibal rack.

Post #16225528th May 2007 9:33 pm
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Deon - check out my A-frame on Wednesday. With a set uf custom aluminium top brackets replacing the standard plastic Censored , its quite strong, even with those huge IPF's hanging off it. If you want to push taxi's, I recommend you go for the ARB replacement bumper or something similar.

By the way, driving lamps are almost useless if you have the Xenon's - the high beam is just so darn good you can hardly notice the difference, and I am talking about my 130W IPF's, not the 55W jobs. If you don't have Xenon, maybe driving lamps will be worthwhile.

Speak to Wayne or Monique at FR (was there yesterday - picking up the Blue D3 after the tank install) he will fit you up with all you need. For Africa, I wouldn't spend the dosh on the LR rack, the FR one is much stronger and less than half the price. Plus the LR rack will make your vehicle too high for a standard SA garage, whereas the FR rack is low enough to fit as long as you don't have any accessories on it.

The LR rack is a bit quieter IMHO.

BUT we are working on a fairing system will post details in a couple weeks once I get time to finish it

Post #16232029th May 2007 5:47 am
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the S model and had the mudflaps fitted by LR Sandton without any problems. Also fitted the FR roofrack, only problem is that the S model does not have the Roofrack rails as standard, so this will set you back …if I remember correct R2k.
The RF roof ladder is also great and at R750 worthwhile.

Post #16234629th May 2007 9:33 am
Deondef

Roofrack

Ordered full length roof rack from FR today. On enquiry it was stated that the ladder becomes permanent fixture. I was hoping that I could remove it when not in use. Do you guys perhaps have a solution here ?
Is the LR one the same ?

Post #16244829th May 2007 3:10 pm
Baben

The LR ladder can be removed in about 10 minutes. It wraps over the top of the back door, and is fixed with an adhesive pad, so will leave no permanent scars.

The FR one is probably the same job to remove, but you will be left with a couple of riv-nuts in the top of the back door, where they bolted it in. You won't see it from the ground anyway, and like with the snorkel, I will screw in a couple of anodised blue capscrews once I remove it, so it won't look bad.

The LR ladder is great, and strong, but something like R3.5k Shocked
The FR ladder is about R750

I bought the LR ladder 'cos FR didn't have an option at that stage

Like everything in life, you make your choice and live with it

Here you can compare the two:

This is the FrontRunner one:

And this is the Land Rover one:

Post #16245229th May 2007 3:14 pm
Deondef

Roofrack

Thanks - Baben

According to FR much more than a 10min job to remove ladder - apparently it goes behind the entire door release/number plate unit .

I will request them not to fit ladder - see if I can make some other plan in the meantime.

Post #16251929th May 2007 7:28 pm
Baben

Well I can remove the LR one in less than 10 minutes. Maybe I have a faster ratchet than FR do?

yes it does go behind the whole door handle thingy, but its not like its a huge job to remove

Post #16259730th May 2007 9:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >