Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

LR goes leckie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

It's OK - they can trickle charge in the outlying areas - it'll only take 3 weeks for a full charge Whistle Whistle

Obviously all the power will come from;
[list=]
new nuclear stations (never get round to building them at this rate)
renewable - it'll never be sunny or windy when you want to charge the car
[/list]

An obvious solution that helps balance load is grid level storage, but this is only just becoming mainstream too...

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/re...-batteries
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #18551297th Sep 2017 3:36 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Honda have already seen the problem and have come up with a specific accessory that fits in the boot. Laughing

New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #18551597th Sep 2017 5:38 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

saw this article about the JLR steering wheel

hope it's got a history reset button , otherwise swmbo could recall the history of where the vehicle has been and take them to the locations, straight to the pub Laughing

maybe i should stay single as the future cars could grass us up Whistle

Post #18552868th Sep 2017 6:45 am
Mac OSX

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Diesel Electric option.

Do not bother with a "Hybrid". It is the worst weight option, full conventional transmission plus weight of batteries etc.
Instead go "Diesel Electric" as many railway locomotives are.
No conventional transmission but Diesel Generator (plus Rectifier pack), Batteries (load capping) and Electric Motors. Either four motors (one per wheel) or two motors (one at front and one at rear) with differentials.
 D3 HSE Diesel Auto 2005 Zambezi Silver.  
Post #18553268th Sep 2017 8:52 am
gstuart

i always thought hydrogen cars were zero tax throughout its life

see it's £310 for the second year

http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/59934...automatic/

Post #18553278th Sep 2017 8:59 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Diesel Electric option.

Mac OSX wrote:
Do not bother with a "Hybrid". It is the worst weight option, full conventional transmission plus weight of batteries etc.
Instead go "Diesel Electric" as many railway locomotives are.
No conventional transmission but Diesel Generator (plus Rectifier pack), Batteries (load capping) and Electric Motors. Either four motors (one per wheel) or two motors (one at front and one at rear) with differentials.

Thats similar to what BMW has done with the I3 only using a 600CC BMW motorbike engine instead. Ours never gets used unless the maintenance cycle kicks in and when it does you can hardly hear it. I'm sure after hybrid this will become the next mainstream step. Knowing the REX is there just in case you run out really made it work for us, you can also manually start it and it just holds the state of charge indefinitely whilst running on petrol.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #18553578th Sep 2017 11:02 am
gstuart

reading this ref the jag E type , think the cost would be eye watering if they do bring it into production

http://www.carenthusiast.com/news/article/...plans.html

You mentioned past as well?
Oh yes, here's the cool bit. Jaguar has also shown off an all-electric E-Type. The firm's Classic division has taken a gorgeous 1968 E-Type convertible, binned the 4.2-litre petrol engine, and installed a bespoke 220kW electric powertrain, to create the E-Type Zero. It's a one-off for now, but Jaguar claims that it will sprint from 0-62mph in 5.5 seconds, and has a one-charge range of around 170-miles. Better yet, it might just go on sale. Tim Hannig, Director, JLR Classic, said:"E-Type Zero combines the renowned E-Type dynamic experience with enhanced performance through electrification. This unique combination creates a breathtaking driving sensation. Our aim with E-Type Zero is to future-proof classic car ownership. We're looking forward to the reaction of our clients as we investigate bringing this concept to market."

Post #18553628th Sep 2017 11:18 am
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
Honda have already seen the problem and have come up with a specific accessory that fits in the boot. Laughing

You will need something some what bigger than that LOL....... but yes that is what it will come down to.... we will all be polluting our own garden instead to charge our cars.......

Post #18553658th Sep 2017 11:33 am
adeal3

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I drive a Golf GTE and whikst it is a brilliant car, well executed as a plug in hybrid and works very well for our use it is flawed - too expensive to buy new vs a stock GTI, lacking pure electric range (25 miles if during like a saint) and too heavy, which means that for longer trips it's worse than a GTD or small engined petrol Golf. I'll be very interested to see how JLR make a hybrid work in terms of cost and complexity and pure electric would require a lot of batteries (assuming current tech) and a brand new platform. I imagine that the current pure electric and hybrid cars are just a stepping stone to something else as I agree with previous posters about infrastructure and can't see cars with batteries and internal combustion as a long term solution.

Post #18556239th Sep 2017 8:36 am
gstuart

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/arti...-Type.html

350k for the jag Big Cry

Post #18556599th Sep 2017 10:03 am
alfamale

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Latest comment and video from JLR on the I-PACE:

Quote:
One year on from showing the I-PACE Concept at the LA Auto Show, Jaguar is back in town with a production prototype for final range and durability tests ahead of its official global reveal in 2018.

Thousands of potential customers have pressed the ‘I want one’ button on www.jaguar.com to place a deposit or register a strong interest in the hotly anticipated electric SUV. Not only will they be at the front of the queue when order books officially open in March, but a lucky few have been chosen to accompany Jaguar's engineers as prototype vehicles complete final validation tests.

Ann Voyer from Pasadena asked Jaguar if the I-PACE would have enough range to complete her favourite road trip along California's West Coast. To answer her question, Jaguar engineers took her on a long-distance range test – on one charge only. The I-PACE production prototype drove 200 miles from Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, to Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo, on a single charge of its advanced Lithium-Ion battery.

Ian Hoban, Jaguar Vehicle Line Director, said: “After 1.5 million global test miles, the I-PACE is ready for production and is proven to deliver long distances on a single charge. Jaguar's first battery electric vehicle will also be fast to charge; our target is a zero to 80 per cent charge being achievable in a short break."

Full specification and pricing for Jaguar's electric performance SUV will be announced in March 2018 when order books will officially open.

Front Runner Rack, OEM Ladder & RAI, Tuff-Trek Foxwing, B'rakhah Ingonyama Expedition Trailer, RLD's Spare Wheel Protector, Bodsy's Bars, Empty Pockets! Member of Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response.

Post #18872056th Dec 2017 9:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >