Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

LR Snorkel, or shall I say lack there of?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
PierreJ

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
LR Snorkel, or shall I say lack there of?

I made the mistake of fitting the LR RAI without consulting the Forum first, and was very disapointed by the fact that it does not seal like a real snorkel.

Being a Mantec product, I expected it to be of the same quality and function as the ones manufactured for the Defenders, which I have used on all my previous Landies, and never drowned one.

Although it does look good, I do not believe it serves much more than looks, and what it states as being a Raised Air Intake. It there a remedy to fix this to be a proper snorkel, and what is involved in getting it more water tight.

All help appreciated.

Regards,
Pierre
 Why is the fear of long words called hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia?  
Post #20113110th Sep 2007 6:15 am
DiscoStu

England 

It does what it says on the tin - Raised Air Intake

Even if you seal it, water can still get in inside via the interior routing of the air intake. Check out http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic14190.html for ideas on waterproofing it.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #20113310th Sep 2007 7:00 am
PierreJ

Hi DiscoStu,

Agreed it did say Raised Air Intake, as per my post, but having used plenty of Mantec Products with huge success in the past, I am dissapointed by the fact that it does only that.

I did notice the "Raised Air Intake" and assumed LR wanted to sound more sofisticated and fancy instead of naming it a snorkel. The market for Defenders and Disco3's being very different. Also assuming that they fitted them to the G4 Disco's and never drowned one. Confused

You know what they say about assumptions, they are the mother of all F-ups. Exclamation
Post #20115410th Sep 2007 7:58 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks disco DiscoStu Very Happy
you beat me to it.

PierreJ, I am about to post a photo of the plastic coonecting hose which may help.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #20115610th Sep 2007 8:04 am
DiscoStu

England 

PierreJ wrote:
I am dissapointed by the fact that it does only that

You're not the only one!
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #20115810th Sep 2007 8:06 am
Craig S-L

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

PierreJ wrote:
I did notice the "Raised Air Intake" and assumed LR wanted to sound more sofisticated and fancy instead of naming it a snorkel. The market for Defenders and Disco3's being very different. Also assuming that they fitted them to the G4 Disco's and never drowned one.

AFAIK, they didn't take any of the G4's to extreme wading depth - plenty of coverrage of them in the paddy fields and a river crossing, but nothing higher than about half way up the wheels.

Certainly no evidence of 'drowning' on mine (ie the electric seat still work Laughing )
 Craig

2015 D? SDV6 HSE Loire Blue
2009 D4 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
2006 G4 Challenge V8 HSE (Gone, but fuel bills not forgotten!)
Media Support Vehicle Stage 1 & 2 Thailand and Laos
Driven by Rudi Thoelen, 2003 Winner 

Post #20116910th Sep 2007 8:55 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I suspect this boils down to the D3 not being considered robust beyond 700mm wading depth. There's a whole load of electronics to kill on a D3, way more than on a Defender. Even if you can guarantee that water won't get to combustion chamber by using a fully sealed snorkel, I would guess the car isn't going to have an overly long and happy life if you do the kind of extreme wading I've seen Defenders performing.

I understand wading depth is established by static tests. In other words, the D3 will function if stationary in 700mm of water. With a sensible bow-wave you should therefore be able to move through water deeper than this. With that in mind, the fact that LR and Mantec haven't brought a fully sealed snorkel to market speaks volumes about what they found when pre-production testing.

Not sure how deep the puddle at Tixover has been when various people here have performed their impression of a u-boat, but the fact these cars made it through is down to good technique and a decent bow-wave. Had any been forced to stop in that depth of water I think we'd be looking at a few new engines.....
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #20118510th Sep 2007 9:59 am
caverD3

Or may be that changing the fabric hose for watertight one alters the emmisions output of the vehicle as the hose is impegnated with activated carbon to absorb emmissions from the engine so LR could not produce a proper snorkel themselves?

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6817345-claims.html

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6817345.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #20147010th Sep 2007 10:52 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Don't know what your frightened of Rolling Eyes ...unless you plan to go much deeper than this Wink

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ossing.wmv
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #20148310th Sep 2007 11:09 pm
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I wonder if that's the deepest water a D3 has ever driven through? Shocked
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #20148610th Sep 2007 11:16 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Now .... he didn't check that out before trying ... did he!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #20150111th Sep 2007 12:03 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you look carefully the water was only about as deep as the tyre diameter (763 mm), it was more the flow of water over the bonnet that made it look worse.
I wouldn't have driven through that water, it was flowing too fast. "If you can't walk across, you can't drive across"

Post #20151211th Sep 2007 1:40 am
caverD3

SKP, did ever find out what happened with your electrical failure and how the water got there?
I bet you didn't do a crossing like that! Very Happy
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #20151411th Sep 2007 3:03 am
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Caver, LRAus tell me it was the ECU "on top of" the e-diff Question Question
No, I wouldn,t even attempt that crossing. I would ask myself "do I really need to go there?"

Post #20151511th Sep 2007 5:11 am
PierreJ

DG wrote:
Don't know what your frightened of Rolling Eyes ...unless you plan to go much deeper than this Wink

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...ossing.wmv

I do not plan anything, but SWMBO does not do the "walking the obstacle" first thing at all, and I have had the Defender doing the u-boat before. There however I was covered by the snorkel.

I must admit, looking at the wmv it did bring back fond and scary memories. I knew exactly what was going through the drivers mind - "How quickly can I recover from this, and what speed can my car do in reverse - oops did not see the embankment - now a little forward and floor it backwards - finally where's the beer!" BTDT Laughing

It does take balls of brass. Very Happy
Post #20151611th Sep 2007 5:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >