Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

LR3 vs. Jeep GC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
marko

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
LR3 vs. Jeep GC

I borrowed my mother's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI recently - drove the hell out of it over the weekend - & was sooooooo disappointed, I just had to rant a bit... & of course give props to the LR3, which I used as the baseline for the comparison.

I remember driving the same car back in 2005 (when new) & thought WOW, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, & I really really want the SRT8 model (you know, the 'balls to the wall' one).

since then, my wife & I decided to get her an LR3 (leased an 07 then bought an 08 ) - mostly due to the fact she found it 'so cute & trendy' - & so we have been driving it since 07.

after not getting behind the wheel of my mother's Jeep for at least 2 years - I was astounded of how excellent of a vehicle & civilized our LR3 really is.

I mean, EVERYTHING in the Jeep felt WRONG. The seating position felt uncomfortable - the radio / climate / lights / wipers switches were awkward at best. The massive blind spot due to fat a pillars was unsafe - the ride was wobbly at best - the steering less than precise - the cheap plastic dash felt & looked Korean... worst of all, after 32K on the clock, the entire car felt as it was falling apart... transmission would tugg & jerk everytime you leaned on her a bit. All in all, felt like a 20 year old car, that had nothing left to offer.

Just about the only thing that was & still is better than in the Rover, is indeed the 5.7L HEMI mill. I have nothing but praise for it. It will pull a tree stomp out of the ground - all while tearing a new ass to whatever is next to it on the stop light. The motor does deserve praise... & I can only imagine how a 6.2L STR8 HEMI feels.

All in all, the Rover is light years above & beyond the Jeep. It rides & feels so 'right' that I'm really glad we did not go for the Grand Cherokee (or the Commander 5.7L - which was also an option).
Moments like these, while driving someone elses car, really & trully make you appreciate the build quality & ergonomic thought put into the LR3.

Anyway.. end of rant... just felt like sharing.

Cheers. M

Post #48232816th Jun 2009 1:03 pm
Neil Pettersen

Do bear in mind the price difference. The GC Hemi is 30k cheaper than a 4.4 LR3 here.
That buys alot of technology .

Post #48233916th Jun 2009 1:33 pm
BorderMan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They aren't exactly the same class of car are they?

Post #48234716th Jun 2009 1:46 pm
marko

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

not here though... I got our 2008 LR3 SE with 3,000 miles for $33K (while in the same time I was offered a brand new 09 for $40K) - in the meantime, the Grand Cherokee's 5.7L HEMI starts at about $37K.

anyway, what really stuck out was the superior ergonomic design of the LR3 & the smooth effortless ride.

further, though technically NOT in the same class as the GC, the LR3s isn't really considered a top of the line SUV in the States... those top spots belong to Land Cruisers / Range Rovers / Porsches / Mercs / BMWs / & of course Escalades... LOL Laughing

The LR3 is in the upper part of the 'middle' sort of speak... IMO, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line - wasn't gonna be much cheaper to get a fully loaded Commander or a Grand Cherokee Limited with all the bells & whistles.

Neil Pettersen wrote:
Do bear in mind the price difference. The GC Hemi is 30k cheaper than a 4.4 LR3 here.
That buys alot of technology .

Post #48234916th Jun 2009 1:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >