Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Is the LR4 better than the LR3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Endeavour

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Is the LR4 better than the LR3?

I love my LR3, its a little quirky (over here in Canada) nice to be in and I really like the utilitarian looks (interior and exterior) Its practical for both ferrying my son around and for trips away and runs to the Home Depot for building supplies as I renovate my house

but

my god the electrics. the slightest sensor failure anywhere causes unrelated problems all over the place. the rear bulb fiasco
the parking brake failures
the suspension height sensor failures
the ABS speed control failure - leading to the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree on the highway and dropping the suspension
the brake line corrosion
etc etc

I really want to keep it, but the girlfriend is getting really bored of stopping on the highway to take the key out, put it back in starting the car and it resets everything and we're on our way again

Does the LR4 have just as many issues possible? or do I bite the bullet and leave LR behind and go for something else?

Post #227196010th Jan 2022 3:22 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

7 years here no such issues at all

take a good care of it it will take good care of you Wink

previous D3 apart from clutch swap not much to complain about

G

Post #227196110th Jan 2022 3:32 pm
Endeavour

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I am at the 'cut my losses' stage, which is always dangerous because I could just get another car with a bunch of new/same issues I have fixed on my car lol

in the 3 or so years, in addition to regular maintenance, I have:

replaced the AC condensor (what a pain that was) and regassed
replaced all 4 rotors
replaced all 4 height sensors
replaced the MAF 3 times (until I found the exact one which works properly in the LR3)
replaced the brake sensor
replaced the air suspension tank
replaced corroded hard brake line

My biggest issue is trying to work on the car without a warm garage. I am on my driveway - which isnt fun in the middle of a Canadian winter lol

Post #227196210th Jan 2022 3:41 pm
SantaCruz

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto ArubaDiscovery 4

I had my D3 for 8 years, and yes it had issues. I now have D4.5 for 18 months - I know they still have their issues, but it a far better vehicle in pretty much every way.
 Si

2016 Disco 4 SE Tech
2019 Fiesta ST3
2021 GBS Zero 

Post #227196410th Jan 2022 3:42 pm
grzesiul

Endeavour wrote:
I am at the 'cut my losses' stage, which is always dangerous because I could just get another car with a bunch of new/same issues I have fixed on my car lol

replaced all 4 rotors
replaced the MAF 3 times (until I found the exact one which works properly in the LR3)

My biggest issue is trying to work on the car without a warm garage. I am on my driveway - which isnt fun in the middle of a Canadian winter lol

when used to live in US I got to know the following expression: if not a Jap it is crap Wink

and you really listing pretty much consumables like disks / rotors, break line corrosion not so unexpected in that climate and amount of salt used to deice roads , same applies to exposed air tank

Greg

Post #227196510th Jan 2022 3:46 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Endeavour wrote:

replaced all 4 rotors

For three years repair costs I would say that was a bargain on any car never mind a land rover.
I always reckon on 1000BGP per year in parts alone.

Post #227198110th Jan 2022 5:27 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

grzesiul wrote:
Endeavour wrote:

replaced all 4 rotors

when used to live in US I got to know the following expression: if not a Jap it is crap Wink

and you really listing pretty much consumables like disks / rotors, break line corrosion not so unexpected in that climate and amount of salt used to deice roads , same applies to exposed air tank

Greg

Agree with Greg. Several of the things you mention are consumables and apply regardless of brand. Driving carefully I've found the brakes on the LR3 and 4 (provided not towing) are pretty durable.

I'm also in the GTA (perhaps a little north) and switched from my 2006 V8 to my (last 1000 model) LR4 Landmark last year. I've had many LR3 and LR4 and switching from the LR3 back to the LR4 again reminded just how much better the late model LR4 are. The seats, for a start, and excellent. I have every gadget (which will probably break over time but which work for now) and I like that. They both suck on fuel economy and there's no question whatsoever in my mind that the V8 is by far thge superior engine (I'm putting off tackling the V6 front and rear cross over coolant pipes that I know I need to do).

I switched to the LR4 because a very low mileage, very late model in the colour I loved and all the bells and whistles came up and I want to keep it for another 10 years. My LR3 was 15 years old when I sold it. Still fine, but wouldn't make it to 25 years.

(And in northern Toronto today we got 60 cm of snow in 9 hours. My GTI still outperforms the LR4 even with winter tyres Rolling with laughter )
 PAGODA  
Post #227343818th Jan 2022 1:10 am
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

D4...adblue and 8 speed...crackin....complicated car...expensive to repair;;;;but lovely to drive..stick with it

Post #227343918th Jan 2022 1:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lard

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Click image to enlarge

Over 18 months with myself and my brother having D3 and D4 I can say that his has been relatively un-touched yet I've replaced a whole heap of stuff, a lot of this is however is purely down to age - mileage is similar

I'd imagine that a newer D4 would be expected to be more reliable just based on the age of the components, aside from this the D4 is sooo much nicer inside, yet maintains the same design - I've just got rid of my D3 as it was on the cusp of becoming too much of a burden to keep on top of pre-emptive stuff, I'd buy a D4 in a hearbeat

Post #227352718th Jan 2022 3:08 pm
grzesiul

in last 6 years of D4 ownership have only swapped all discs and pads and EPB shoes due to getting them really fooked due to playing in muck too much

nothing else at all just accessories

G

Post #227353618th Jan 2022 3:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >