Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

LR4: Changes Throughout Production Years?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
LR4: Changes Throughout Production Years?

Hello Gents

I am considering upgrading my LR3 TDV6 to a LR4 SDV6. Price is a factor for me so I have to be open to all options. That said, are there any differences or changes to that model that were made during the seven year production period, or is the 2009 model going to be exactly the same as the 2016 model?
I’m thinking about mechanical changes, interior spec, different options that were available later in production, etc? Are the early ones to be avoided?

Many thanks in advance
Neil
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #205646727th May 2019 9:40 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Biggest change would be the introduction of the 8 speed ZF gearbox c2012. Then stop/start c2015. Obvious cosmetic changes later in life including drl.

Post #205650427th May 2019 11:17 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yep, the real change was the gearbox. The earlier one is pretty fine alright and if it's all you can afford, fear not. But the later one is smoother and accounted for a 10 horsepower increase in power, so if you can stretch to one, it's worth it. The later models with the stop/start brought about a saving in road tax.

Other than that, the differences are minimal. Headlights changed, as did rear light clusters, repeater indicators on the mirrors rather than the side of the car, different software for the screen. All nice stuff, but nothing critical. As with many cars, it's worth checking that the service including the belts has been done (or price reflects it needs done).

Also if you are test driving an earlier one, check the air suspension goes up and down well. Earlier cars had a slightly inferior compressor, which may well have been changed for a later one if it was failing. Seek out a bumpy road too, just to check the arms, or rather the bushes aren't knocking (front lower ones seem to be the most likely candidates). Land Rover dealers will want something over a grand to do those, although you can obviously get them done cheaper.

Oh, the earlier ones had a normal type auto gear stick, which I think changed around 2012 to a silver knob that comes up when you start the engine. Not quite as intuitive, many didn't take to it initially but you get used to it well enough and it has some novelty value.

So, no, there's no big reason to avoid an earlier one, but there's advantages to getting a later one.

Post #205652528th May 2019 2:41 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

2012 saw a change in the electrics which is pretty much the standard which is still in use with new LR products. 2014 was the next change with revised bumper, wing mirrors and big upgrades to the infotainment and electrical systems but still based on the 2012MY.

Post #205655428th May 2019 8:06 am
mzplcg

England 

2016 MY saw the In-Control apps added and Ad-Blue diesel exhaust fluid system.
Check any potential purchases for the front seats. Armrest in particular became the reserve of the HSE at some point. Have also seen quite a few later ones missing little bits like rear camera, seat memory etc.
If music is your thing the big Meridian Surround system is worth having, came after the 2012 infotainment upgrades, Harmon Kardon before then.

Post #205656428th May 2019 8:39 am
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Did the Meridian system not come in with 14MY?

The odd thing is that the amp is the same between HK and Meridian on the LR4 and only something like 4 speakers changed. Can anyone with 14MY on confirm if their touchscreen has Logic 7 or Meridian displayed on the screen? Could be quite an easy upgrade.

Post #205657328th May 2019 9:15 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My 13 year model has H&K. Meridian was later.

Post #205669028th May 2019 5:38 pm
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ok, thanks very much for the advice, guys. My preference is for the SD rather than TD, and likewise the eight speed so I’ll keep my eyes on the market here.

Cheers
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #205679129th May 2019 12:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >