Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

LR4 Smart Key Not Found TSB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lrrb

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4
LR4 Smart Key Not Found TSB

See my gallery for pdf of Smart Key issue TSB. Just had my White on Black LR4 delivered before Christmas. Everything has been great until a couple of days ago when the car wouldn't start. Here's what happened:

While driving . . .
1. NAV map disappeared and some message about audio/video appeared
2. Then, tire pressure warning message appeared

Then we turned LR4 off to check tire pressure (nothing was wrong with tires or pressure)

Then attempt to start LR4 failed with "Smart Key Not Found" message appearing. Even holding the key under the steering column didn't work. None of the keys worked.

The dealer then got involved. They first tried a "battery hard reset" (as outlined in TSB) and this did nothing so my LR4 got towed to the dealer which was a challenge since wheels were locked up.

Long story short, there is this Dec 3 TSB about an intermittent problem with the keys. So we're waiting for new keys. Here are my questions.

1. Has anyone had this problem and did the new keys fix it?
2. How can you tell the new keys from the old? The dealer says it is the same part# but there must be some code version# to identify the new from the old. Since this is a known problem to Land Rover, I will not feel confident unless I know I have the correct keys.
3. This is a big deal as you can get stranded anywhere. Seems like a poor design. My Audi that has a smart key system allows the driver to push the buttom OR use the key blade in the ignition. Not only does this allow the car to start but you can put it in neutral so you can at least tow it or push it if necessary.
4. Is there anyway to unlock the car when it doesn't start for towing purposes? This is important even for placing it on a flatbed truck.
5. The LR4 was literally dragged onto the tow truck (maybe for 10 feet). Any issues with that?

Very discouraging.

Post #5757147th Jan 2010 3:31 am
Ken

Welcome to the world of keyless go

Your not alone (well LR arnt)

Post #5757267th Jan 2010 7:25 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

There is an emergency selector lockout release on the D3's selector so my guess is that the D4 has one too, and probably in the same spot. I'll look later but on the D3 it is at the right rear of the selector assembly and accessed by removing the park brake lever if RHD or coin tray if LHD and lifting the white tab.

Post #5758317th Jan 2010 10:55 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Yep, same spot in the D4. Remove the cup-holders and its quite visible, and it works too!

Post #5758397th Jan 2010 11:03 am
lrrb

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

Thanks. I'll have to check that out when I get my LR4 back. "Keyless go" has been great with Audi (never a problem and the comfort of knowing you can always use the conventional key system).

Has anyone experienced this issue with the key. My biggest question is how to tell the new keys from the old.

Post #5759507th Jan 2010 1:57 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hope you've got this fixed now
I had a problem with the Keyless Go in my D4. Basically, the car wouldn't recognise the keys if they were in the drivers seat area - (Rear seat was fine - but you needed long arms to reach the wheel Wink ) The position under the sterering column didn't work either. Garage had the car for a week and found a dodgy earth connection on one (or possibly more) of the internal ariels. Been perfect (well that bit has anyway) since they fixed it Smile
Does anyone know how to test the "emergency" reader under the steering column? It just occured to me that I haven't tested it since I got the car back & I wouldn't like the first time I discover it still isn't working to be when I really need it. Does it works the way of some other passive keys with some form of induced voltage to allow the chip to be read? Would taking the battery out of one of the keys be a possible test mechanism?
Richard
Edit
OK - I just tested the no battery scenario and it doesn't recognise the smart key - so does that mean it's not working still or just that isn't the way to test it Question

Post #58403718th Jan 2010 5:31 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >