Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Magic Carpet ride. Yes Please Sir 😎
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Magic Carpet ride. Yes Please Sir 😎

So I have finally finished the total refurb of the D3 suspension, over the last year I have replaced every part apart from the valves and pipe work, it has been easy in places hard in others, wrong parts and parts I didn’t know I needed but it’s all done, the old girl has over 221000 on the clock but purrs like a kitten now she drives sublimely, on top of this I have updated the brakes to V8 all round new epb shoes as well, it’s a big job but in my opinion well worth the effort my D3 always drove well and felt smooth compared to the wife’s 3year old Ford Kuga and now her new Q3 but now the old girl is on a different level now.

I couldn’t have undertaken this project without the help from this forum, the search through old posts found all the info I needed to tackle this project, thanks to all who have shared without your help many of us would not be able to tackle these jobs,
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #18981816th Jan 2018 11:57 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

hi

sounds like it was worthwhile seeing u can tell the difference with ride quality etc

i’m about the undertake replacing the front struts , may i ask did u have to recalibrate the suspension plse when just fitting new struts

how did u find getting the bottom strut nut undone

is it easier to remove the inner wheelarches plse

many thks Thumbs Up

Post #18982046th Jan 2018 1:08 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

After 202k miles, I’m looking forward to replacing my struts. Doesn’t drive anywhere near as well as it used to when I first got it

And a full set of Superpro bushes will round it off just nicely Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18982106th Jan 2018 1:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
furnitureman

gstuart wrote:
hi

sounds like it was worthwhile seeing u can tell the difference with ride quality etc

i’m about the undertake replacing the front struts , may i ask did u have to recalibrate the suspension plse when just fitting new struts

many thks Thumbs Up

I recommend plenty of good penetrating oil a 3/4 long breaker bar and a set of impact sockets plus I always give the bolt heads a good smack with a lump hammer to help break any rust, it will give you more room to work if you remove the inner wheel arch, I’d recommend disasbling and emptying the air suspension once you have it on axle stands makes removing the old strut easier, also before starting search this forum and find all the info you need on how to and tools etc needed and you will be ok

Post #18982196th Jan 2018 1:42 pm
furnitureman

Disco_Mikey wrote:
After 202k miles, I’m looking forward to replacing my struts. Doesn’t drive anywhere near as well as it used to when I first got it

Mine was the same unless I had a load of kit in the back, this seemed to tighten Everything up and it rode better, until getting mine I had never been in one my last Landry was a p38 Range Rover which I thought was the smoothest car I had ever driven, I’m positive the D3 now all suspension has been replaced rides so much better

Post #18982236th Jan 2018 1:44 pm
gstuart

furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
hi

many thks Thumbs Up

I recommend plenty of good penetrating oil a 3/4 long breaker bar and a set of impact sockets plus I always give the bolt heads a good smack with a lump hammer to help break any rust, it will give you more room to work if you remove the inner wheel arch, I’d recommend disasbling and emptying the air suspension once you have it on axle stands makes removing the old strut easier, also before starting search this forum and find all the info you need on how to and tools etc needed and you will be ok

many thks , indeed have been reading through as much as i can

also bought some S shaped spanner’s to try and make abit easier for the top nuts , also got some 6 x sided impact sockets and a breaker bar, will put some plus gas on the bolts this weekend , seeing it’s suppose to be better weather in the week

i have bought new bottom strut nuts and bolts , inc some copperslip

indeed was going to put it into off road height , pull the fuses to disable the suspension then get the jack and axle stands under

thks about the tip giving the bolt head a wack

have also got some brass push fit fittings to replace the voss connectors

also bought the rear valve block seeing ive replaced the other x 2 , so thought i might as well do that at the same time and with the inner wheel liners out get the silicone intercooler hoses fitted

think i’ve got everything , famous last words Whistle

many thks once again and extremely helpful Thumbs Up

Post #18982286th Jan 2018 1:54 pm
gstuart

Disco_Mikey wrote:

may i ask, ref the bushes , is that for the anti roll bars plse Thumbs Up

will be interesting to see after doing the front struts of how it rides , just coming up to 100,000 miles so imagine they might be the originals, got dunlop’s as i didn’t feel happy getting some of the non branded or reconditioned ones

Post #18982306th Jan 2018 1:59 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Everything. All 8 wishbones and front and rear ARB bushes Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18982336th Jan 2018 2:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
furnitureman

gstuart wrote:
furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
hi

many thks Thumbs Up

also bought some S shaped spanner’s to try and make abit easier for the top nuts , also got some 6 x sided impact sockets and a breaker bar, will put some plus gas on the bolts this weekend , seeing it’s suppose to be better weather in the week

indeed was going to put it into off road height , pull the fuses to disable the suspension then get the jack and axle stands under

also bought the rear valve block seeing ive replaced the other x 2 , so thought i might as well do that at the same time and with the inner wheel liners out get the silicone intercooler hoses fitted

One thing I did find very useful was a set of long spanner’s I got of the bay plus a bit of old scafold pipe made undoing some of the nuts so much easier as you can’t always get the breaker bar in

Post #18982406th Jan 2018 2:13 pm
furnitureman

gstuart wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:

will be interesting to see after doing the front struts of how it rides , just coming up to 100,000 miles so imagine they might be the originals, got dunlop’s as i didn’t feel happy getting some of the non branded or reconditioned ones

I did my struts first and the ride was better but since doing all 8 arms and all the other bits it’s sublime

Post #18982416th Jan 2018 2:14 pm
gstuart

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Everything. All 8 wishbones and front and rear ARB bushes Thumbs Up

oh i see what u mean now, saw them but imagine u need something like a 10 x ton press to get them in and out of the wishbones

does look a cheaper way just fitting the bushes

Post #18982556th Jan 2018 2:58 pm
gstuart

furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
hi

many thks Thumbs Up

One thing I did find very useful was a set of long spanner’s I got of the bay plus a bit of old scafold pipe made undoing some of the nuts so much easier as you can’t always get the breaker bar in

many thks , don’t think i’ve got a scaffold bar , sounds like i may end up with lumps in my socks if there that tight, Whistle

these were the spanner’s i got for the top of the struts , know there not the best but fingers crossed will be ok

do know someone with a compressor and impact airgun if it comes to it

Post #18982596th Jan 2018 3:02 pm
gstuart

furnitureman wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:

I did my struts first and the ride was better but since doing all 8 arms and all the other bits it’s sublime

must admit i’ve got nothing to compare it to, but must admit it extremely comfortable

will have to also check out more about the super pro bushes

Post #18982636th Jan 2018 3:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >