DISCO4.COM > General

Major bile alert !!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Major bile alert !!

Whoever is last off the forum...please turn off the lights !!

(save energy) Confused

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5251022.stm
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #761977th Aug 2006 12:46 am
DickyH

Where the hell is all this 4x4 paranoia going to end? £1800 per year road tax! What a joke. Is it not sufficient for them that 4x4 drivers already pay so much more by way of increased fuel usage?
Why is it acceptable to persecute those who live in rural areas and actually need a 4x4 as part of their daily lives? How are farmers and other rural dwellers supposed to find an additional £1800 per year on top of everything else. It's disgusting.
I can see major trouble ahead for Labour (hopefully)!

Post #762097th Aug 2006 7:29 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

DickyH wrote:
I can see major trouble ahead for Labour (hopefully)!

Oh yes 8)

Post #762107th Aug 2006 7:48 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

yeah saw this and shot a mail to the BBC for jumping on the 4x4 band wagon... again they tag 4x4's as the gas guzzler... not mentioning large saloon cars, high performance hot hatches, saloons, estate etc etc etc you know the list.

-s

Post #762117th Aug 2006 8:14 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Don't forget MPVs (multi pregnancy vehicles)!

Post #762147th Aug 2006 8:27 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
£1800

Do you not think this government is very clever, they say they are putting the road tax up to £1800. But in fact it will go up to £900 and everyone will breathe a sigh of relief and think, that was lucky.

The B*****ds I wish they would tell the truth when saying Gas Guzzling 4x4’s, and include all the other vehicles that fall in to this category.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #762167th Aug 2006 8:49 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Email the BBC,

I just sent this to the BBC;

"Once again the BBC is betraying its impartiality by appearing to support the very misguided "Anti 4x4" movement.

In todays headline "Raise air travel tax" there is once again the inaccurate and misleading statement that "The MPs welcome the recent introduction of variable Vehicle Excise Duty, which means that the lowest-carbon cars pay no road tax, while gas-guzzling 4x4s pay an increased rate of £210."

May I remind you that it is not just 4x4's that use more fuel than other cars and fall into this higher tax band. There are more large saloon and estate cars on the road than gas guzzling 4x4's, and many of these also fall into the same higher tax band. All cars over 225gkm CO2 emmision are subject to this tax increase - NOT JUST 4X4's as implied in your paragraph.

Most 4x4's in Britain are economical and environmentally friendly diesel models, most of which will do more than 30 mpg, and take up less road space than an executive saloon. The 12mpg monsters that most environmentalists always quote are very much in the minority in this country.

Please stop quoting false statements to grab headlines, the BBC is well respected for its impartiality, and should present a balanced and accurate view of the news."

Please everybody do the same, compile an email, send it to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/ne...032695.stm

Keep copies of any emails you send, they are useful when you need to compile the next one. Feel free to use my text, but don't copy it exactly. I now send an email to every paper or news program that does not portray us in a fair context.

Yours Sincerely

ANGRY FROM STOCKPORT Twisted Evil

Post #762197th Aug 2006 9:10 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

so, it's us again in gas-guzzling 4x4's then? I happen to get Test drive magazine (not on purpose, forgot to cancel it after the free trial!) and they run
a Lexus IS250 and their mpg to date...? 22.0 after 7987miles! this is an Astra/Focus sized car is it not? and 230g output as well!
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #762407th Aug 2006 11:02 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

when they calculate the output is that measures g per mile?
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #762437th Aug 2006 11:04 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

per km I think
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #762447th Aug 2006 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Very well put Gareth but the BBC is in the government gang any way so they will not listen to any body its not head line news
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #762527th Aug 2006 12:04 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I know Ray, but I like to make my point.

Post #762577th Aug 2006 12:16 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

I hate the use of the phrase “Gas Guzzler” when applied to 4x4’s here, as it’s a term best suited to the U.S. where they actually do run their SUV’s on Gasoline.

I know I don’t know about the UK, but certainly here in Ireland 99% of all SUV’s have Diesel engines, with only the very few lunatics buying a petrol engine version. So “Gas Guzzling” is something that the SUV’s here don’t do. In fact they are actually quite economical & in fact I’d say more so & probably cleaner running than most vans & trucks.

What about the real Guzzlers, big engine Merc’s, Lexus, BMW’s etc, etc, all the usual suspects, that you know all so well. For instance all our Govt Minister’s cars are big engine Merc & Lexus models. Let’s see the Govt drive around Toyota Prius’s first before they hold those of us who exercise our freedom of choice, to ransom with discriminatory higher tax bands.

If it’s any consolation to you guys, we here in Ireland already have to pay Eur 1033.00 in road tax annually on a D3 or RRS, which works out at about £700.00 Stg !!!

Post #762597th Aug 2006 12:19 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Zebadee, what would a large engined saloon car pay? do the Irish government tax 4x4's separately from other types of car, or is it done on an emmissions scale like in the UK?

Post #762637th Aug 2006 12:27 pm
zebadee

Ireland 

Gareth wrote:
Zebadee, what would a large engined saloon car pay? do the Irish government tax 4x4's separately from other types of car, or is it done on an emmissions scale like in the UK?

The road tax here is calculated on engine size, so the higher your CC the higher your road tax rate.

I tried to paste the Motor Tax Rates Chart into this post, but it didn’t work out too well. But if you’re interested, you can follow this link to see the Tax rates.

https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/staticConte...ortaxrates

Post #762687th Aug 2006 12:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >