Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Manchester Airport warning !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Manchester Airport warning !

Picked FiL up Saturday morning and did what I've done many times ... killed a bit of time by driving into "Manchester Business Park" (aka Aviator Way) and hovered on the double yellows watching out for the unlikely sight of a traffic warden.

Security Guard van came down the road after a bit, so wound window down and told him I'd had to pull-in to take a phone call (some truth in that). He said "Cameras have you on here for 20 minutes" !!!

Looked up and it seems every f Censored ing lamppost has a CCTV box on it. Sad

Never clocked any signage but wasn't looking for any either - and I'm pretty sur it WAS a public road - so waiting for the "PCN" to arrive.

My reg is still down as "STOLEN" so hopefully the b Censored ds will not get beyond that.

On the plus side, due to delays in FiL getting through immigration, I probably saved £9. Embarassed

Post #22553284th Oct 2021 7:38 pm
Mk1Rally

England 

I had to pick up and drop off over the weekend at T2 there. With the roof rack on, it was touch and go to clear the 2mtr height restrictions. So I called them..”there is a over height carpark” she said.

Imagine the smile on my face when I find its coned off and not operational..

Thankfully I edged into the 2mtr carpark in Access mode and it “just” fit.

Loved the £6 charge for the 2 mins I was there too…

No wonder there is CCTV on Aviator way..oh and it actually was private when I used to work at a business there
 2013 Baltic Blue D4 - a balance between family car and camping machine - trying to not bladder it with stuff I dont need!
2008 FLR2 - bit travelled and surprisingly good - exchanged for above
1967 S2a SWB - the old girl - current, original and much loved
1998 - Td5 overlander - much travelled and very much missed
1996 - 300Tdi 110 overlander - much travelled and much missed
1998 - FLR 1 td4 - my first Civvy Land Rover! 

Post #22553404th Oct 2021 9:13 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not sure about the airport, but i think only London has the powers to issue FPN's via camera's on public roads.
All major city's are however asking the Government to let them have the same laws.
All the councils see are ££££££ signs, no other reason but i'm sure they will come up with some BS about how they need it for safety, controlling congestion etc etc etc.

Post #22553414th Oct 2021 9:14 pm
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Last week I took my 3 yr old grandson to see his estranged father other side of London as he broke his ankle and couldn’t drive. So I thought I was going along the edge of the congestion charge over Lambeth Bridge. Got a PCN with a fine of £80 if I pay quickly followed by another letter with a PCN for another £80 for ULEZ. Much as I love my grandson he won’t get any pocket money from me for a while😂
So what started out as an act of generosity as it’s a 150 mile round trip turned into a very expensive day and the last time I follow Waze instructions

Post #22553444th Oct 2021 9:34 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

defector wrote:
Not sure about the airport, but i think only London has the powers to issue FPN's via camera's on public roads.
All major city's are however asking the Government to let them have the same laws.
All the councils see are ££££££ signs, no other reason but i'm sure they will come up with some BS about how they need it for safety, controlling congestion etc etc etc.

The councils are all struggling to pay for essential services and are severely limited in how they can get funds. Parking is one of the few ways open to them. Don't blame the councils, blame central Govt. Of course, the system is set up so that the councils appear to be at fault and take the blame. Genius move that by the Tories years ago. Labour did nothing to change it either.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22553464th Oct 2021 9:41 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

nobody likes the camera situation...but.they are handy when it kicks off..so there are some benefits

Post #22553654th Oct 2021 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RogB

United Kingdom 

a few years ago i was picking up my son and his girlfriend from East Midlands airport around 2am, i was about an hour early so pulled up just outside the pick up/drop off zone in the airport.
Police swiftly came over and told me i couldnt park there, and i knew the BP garage on site didnt allow people to wait so left the airport grounds and drove to one of the farmer access gates at the end of the runway.
The same police car pulled up 10 minutes later and told me to move on as i could be committing an act of terrorism. They even recognised me from speaking to me inside the airport grounds.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #22554045th Oct 2021 9:10 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Manchester airport is horrible. It’s turned into a massive sprawling disorganised chaotic place, that is not welcoming in any way. Because we have little choice but to drive to it, it is a huge cash cow for Manchester City council who I believe are major share holders.

Trains are unreliable, trams are slow and unreliable and don’t go where I need.

Post #22554085th Oct 2021 9:28 am
James W

United Kingdom 

RogB wrote:
a few years ago i was picking up my son and his girlfriend from East Midlands airport around 2am, i was about an hour early so pulled up just outside the pick up/drop off zone in the airport.
Police swiftly came over and told me i couldnt park there, and i knew the BP garage on site didnt allow people to wait so left the airport grounds and drove to one of the farmer access gates at the end of the runway.
The same police car pulled up 10 minutes later and told me to move on as i could be committing an act of terrorism. They even recognised me from speaking to me inside the airport grounds.

You should have just started shouting about loft insulation, you could have stayed there as long as you like then Laughing
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22554545th Oct 2021 12:23 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

"could have been committing an act of terrorism"

Rolling Eyes

Not very likely though, is it officer. Similarly, you could be performing an act of policing, yet here we are discussing ways to line the airport management company's coffers because I sensibly left early. You know, like your other cash cow, speed awareness courses, teaches us. Rather than debating "possibles", how about you take 60 seconds to check me and my car, then we can both carry on our lawful business, which by the way includes waiting for a short period away from the airport and consequently making your life easier.

The police have few allies in the general public these days. Small wonder.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #22554675th Oct 2021 1:02 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Sure I saw a 'flash news' report on my phone suggesting all major airports cleared to increase the drop off charge 'substantially' (£6/minute?) as a green-tax/nudge over climate, etc. Confused

Post #22554715th Oct 2021 1:07 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As of 1 October Heathrow has a £5 drop-off charge.
Pretty sure the motorbike parking is still under cover, with good locking bars and free of charge. Smile

Hope so as I may well be using it this Friday.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #22554795th Oct 2021 1:33 pm
SN

you just have to take it on the chin and pay up - contactless makes it as painless as it can be made to be honest
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #22554805th Oct 2021 1:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

But is it any wonder there were cars on the hard shoulder of the airport spur from the M56 ?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #22554905th Oct 2021 2:42 pm
gje

Wales 

Quote:
like your other cash cow, speed awareness courses,

total hogwash... police do not 'make money' from these courses. The revenue pays for the running of the safety camera partneship & office staff on a 'cost recovery' basis only. Any surplus is given to the relevant counties police & crime commissoner for use in community funds/projects.

Post #22554975th Oct 2021 4:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >