DISCO4.COM > General

Mega flush vs 10 year oil and filter change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
will6440

United Kingdom 
Mega flush vs 10 year oil and filter change

Hi all,

My D4 has just rolled up to the 145k mark where it's due the big 10 year service which includes a gearbox oil change and a new filter. I was thinking of having the gearbox mega flushed but i'm not sure about this now given the expensive of that plus the 10 year service will be knocking on the door of 1.5k Big Cry

Anyone got any advice about whether the gearbox oil and filter change will give me the majority of the benefits of a mega flush, or whether I really should be looking at paying for both?

Thoughts?

Post #188017316th Nov 2017 3:38 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Price cant be much different as with the flush they dont do the sump/filter.

Post #188018016th Nov 2017 4:00 pm
will6440

United Kingdom 

Hi Lynalldiscovery,

Not sure I quite follow. I was more meaning whether it's worth having the mega flush done in addition to the gearbox oil change. The guy I spoke to said i'd effectively have to pay for two oil changes if both were done and the oil aint cheap. The oil and filter change is due anyway on this service so that's a given.

So really i was wondering if I could just get away with the oil and filter change or if I needed that plus the mega flush to see any benefit. The gearbox isn't bad but I feel there is room for improvement with it.

Post #188018516th Nov 2017 4:13 pm
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

How is the oil changed on the service - Perhaps they use a mega Flush?
No doubt someone will know

Post #188021716th Nov 2017 5:59 pm
sputnixb51

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

From recent experience replace filter regardless of if you flush or change as much oil as you can during that process and then another partial soon after.

Post #188022016th Nov 2017 6:09 pm
Felstmiester

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I’m confused. I was under the impression that a flush was the only way the transmission oil can be totally changed. Due to the fluid left in the torque converter without a flush your only replacing say 70% of fluid.
Also can the filter be changed without doing the sump conversion?

Post #188077918th Nov 2017 9:29 am
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The LR filter can be changed to another LR sump+filter combo but it is a Censored job... So - unless you go to a LR service shop and insist on removing the exhaust and cross member and a few other things most people would change to an aftermarket [metal] sump with a non-integrated filter since the operation is faster and cheaper. The reason nobody changes ATF on these is that the original option is fairly complicated, as you can see, and quite costly. Up here two separate LR dealers quoted 900 eur and 960 eur since I was curious what the reference cost would be.

I certainly don’t claim to be an expert in this field (my professional career is networking technology and now more of a technology management kind of thing) but I did some research since I had to make the same decision a few months ago.

- the filter isn’t really a filter (think cabin or air filter) but more of a sill
- indeed, you won’t get all the oil out so what you’re doing is diluting the original. There is ~ 10 L of ATF in the system and estimates range from 2-4 L staying in if you change it the traditional way
- if you flush the actual complete volume of ATF is exchanged
- with flushing they insert some kind of pre-cleaner first, then a conditioner afterwards
- flushing takes less than an hour and was a quite painless job

My transmission had ~192000 km on it at the time and all I wanted to do was set the vehicle to a known baseline as I’m the second owner of the vehicle. I choose a complete flush (no idea what people in the UK mean between flush and mega flush..) which was done at a company specialized in vehicle oil/fluid changes. They did it with a BG PXT machine, with BG cleaner, BG 312 ATF and BG conditioner. 10.06 L of oil was replaced (I watched as I was curious how it all works). Flushing was done by tapping the lines on the left hand side (driver’s side in Europe) under the engine.

Now I’m at 196000 km a few months later and I have no problems. I did purchase a Terrafirma made metal sump, gasket, bolts, vacuum sleeve and separate filter but I never changed them so they’re in storage (212 eur total). Cost including oil, cleaner, conditioner, new plugs, work, etc. was around 360 eur or ~1/3 of the original LR quoted price. I haven’t had any issues with the transmission before or after, I simply thought it was prudent to change since the ATF hadn’t been changed before.

As always take advice on forums with a “YMMV” but I would totally skip the sump/filter change and just have a competent place flush if there are no signs of leaking ATF around the pan or of the vacuum sleeve leaking.

I promise to report back in a year or two whether I replaced my transmission or not with his heretical method. Thumbs Up

Post #188086618th Nov 2017 2:06 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

will6440 wrote:
Hi Lynalldiscovery,

Not sure I quite follow. I was more meaning whether it's worth having the mega flush done in addition to the gearbox oil change. The guy I spoke to said i'd effectively have to pay for two oil changes if both were done and the oil aint cheap. The oil and filter change is due anyway on this service so that's a given.

So really i was wondering if I could just get away with the oil and filter change or if I needed that plus the mega flush to see any benefit. The gearbox isn't bad but I feel there is room for improvement with it.

Only you can make that choice, even if you do both filter and oil change then the flush its still cheaper than a new gearbox.
I just changed the oil in mine twice, plus fitted steel sump and new filter.

Post #188091718th Nov 2017 4:40 pm
z1234567890

United Arab Emirates 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Re: Mega flush vs 10 year oil and filter change

will6440 wrote:
Hi all,

My D4 has just rolled up to the 145k mark where it's due the big 10 year service which includes a gearbox oil change and a new filter. I was thinking of having the gearbox mega flushed but i'm not sure about this now given the expensive of that plus the 10 year service will be knocking on the door of 1.5k Big Cry

Anyone got any advice about whether the gearbox oil and filter change will give me the majority of the benefits of a mega flush, or whether I really should be looking at paying for both?

Thoughts?

Check this one

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/filos-autob...55010.html

Post #188123319th Nov 2017 3:35 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If it's an 7 or 8 speed gearbox, these have a different procedure.

Post #188123819th Nov 2017 3:46 pm
will6440

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies.

As the car is due for it's big 10 year service then it's going in for the a gearbox oil change rather than a flush. I've noticed the gearbox hesitating a fair bit and generally being a bit sluggish which seems worse when the car is cold. I will probably go for a flush at a later stage for peace of mind but with the service costing £900 and it needing a set of new tyres the flush will have to wait for the time being.

I'll report back at the end of next week to let everyone know my impressions of just a oil change.

Post #188172320th Nov 2017 4:16 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
On 20th November 2017 "I'll report back at the end of next week to let everyone know my impressions of just a oil change."

will6440 - Time flies when you are having fun Smile

Update please.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #191421713th Feb 2018 12:43 pm
will6440

United Kingdom 

Hi NJSS,

The car is running well and I did notice a considerable improvement in the gear changes post oil change.

All that being said, it's still either fine or very hesitant when cold. If the car has been used the day before it's absolutely fine and nothing seems wrong. If however it's been stood for a couple of days then it can seem to struggle to engage 1st after changing into second. My road has a relatively steep slope at the end of it with a T-junction. It will often try to set off in 2nd, before realising it can't, tries to select 1st and after about a 2 second delay gets there and we're off. A 5 minute drive down the road see's it behaving perfectly again. Problem with the delay is that i've inevitably pulled out and i'm left floundering whilst it tries to get into gear.

In an ideal world i'd send it back to my indie to have the oil changed again. But it's so blooming expensive and mostly behaves, I haven't felt like doing it.

One thing my indie did say is that the 8 speed box has a much coarser filter which is one of the problems with the flushing. They have to change the oil and filter, hook up their flushing machine, pump loads of oil through which then Censored the new filter, so you then have to change the filter again and refill with more oil. So essentially each flush on an 8 speed uses 2x gearbox oil and 2x filters making it incredibly expensive.

Besides this for a car that's done near as makes no difference 150k it runs extremely well.

Post #191422113th Feb 2018 12:58 pm
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hopefully Geoff will get the pipework sorted for the 8 speed soon. In the meantime there are forum members who have had 8 speed flushes that although not cheap did not cost the earth either.

Post #191423713th Feb 2018 1:57 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

can't you manually select 1st or sport mode before pulling out ?

Post #191431813th Feb 2018 5:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >