Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

Meridian 380w Sub & Amp Q
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Meridian 380w Sub & Amp Q

I have the above system in a 2015 D4 and the sub output is weedy / buzzy at best - and yep, I've had the sub out checked it and dynomatt'ed the lower tailgate!

Does anyone know the output wattage of the sub channel on the factory amp?

Either I use a decent cub box powered from the existing amp (probs marginal) or tap into the line level feeds to the amp and use a decent sub + separate amp.

Ideally a pin out and amp spec would be good!

Thanks in advance Smile

Post #216693410th Aug 2020 3:06 pm
Timbo1975

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

bump

wiring diagram would also be super handy !

Post #216759214th Aug 2020 11:19 am
MintyHit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I did this - I ran the outputs for the sub from the factory amp into a high-range input on a small-ish 300w amp under my passenger seat... I upped the gain a bit and bingo, sounds pretty good.

Here is the wiring:
Click image to enlarge

Don't expect thumping bass from the factory sub but it is quite musical and adds quite a bit IMO.

Post #216759914th Aug 2020 11:40 am
MintyHit

... the factory sub is duel coil so can be wired to match the output of your amp... I wired for 4 ohms 2+2 in series.

Post #216760014th Aug 2020 11:45 am
Timbo1975

Thanks hugely for that - you don't have the input connections (from the headunit) image or link by any chance??

Since I'd prefer to tap into that rather than have any factory amp EQ applied to the signal which I expect it will have..

Post #216760314th Aug 2020 11:49 am
Timbo1975

MintyHit wrote:
... the factory sub is duel coil so can be wired to match the output of your amp... I wired for 4 ohms 2+2 in series.

There are dual 2 ohm voice coil subs on the market if I was going to couple the factory amp to one, but I suspect a) it wont really have enough output to do justice to a decent sub and b) the internal EQ wont be ideal for a proper sub.

So I'd rather get a clean line level signal from the headunit and go direct to a sub & amp with that leaving the factory sub disconnected.

Post #216760614th Aug 2020 11:52 am
MintyHit

I think it would be hard to intercept the signal between the head-unit and the amplifier as it uses the MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) High Speed BUS... it is a digital signal that needs decoding.

I am not sure I'd worry too much about the factory EQ for the SW channels - I would have though it would a LFE output. You are probably right about the factory sub not being able to drive an aftermarket sub effectively.

From experience AMP SW outputs's into High Level Input on a stand alone amp works really well and I am quite fussy with sound. Smile

Post #216827417th Aug 2020 4:31 pm
Timbo1975

To update this thread;

Added a 10" Pioneer sub in a 20l custom box behind the NS rear seat ( had profile of box designed to match the angle of seat) and 350w class D amp under the false boot floor- power from the rear fuse box.

Disconnected the factory Sub outputs at the amp behind the O/S boot panel and used a balanced speaker to RCA level convertor here to feed the new amp with a clean line signal.

Alittle tweaking of the Amp controls + Bass & Sub sliders, what a difference! Clean punchy bottom end with non of the limp fuzz n muddiness of the tailgate sub any more. Taking some bass load away from the door speakers enables them to play with much more clarity; the soundstage has become more alive.

Definitely worth doing if you don't mind loosing a corner of the load space and appreciate good sound.
 2015 SDV6 Commercial  
Post #22079794th Feb 2021 7:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >