Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > eBay & Bargain Spots

Microsoft Flight - free download
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm having problem controlling my mixture at altitude to prevent stalling, do I need a joystick?

Post #9041192nd Mar 2012 11:30 am
TwelveSticks

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

From memory, the mixture was controlled automatically in the old one, but could be overridden. If you are controlling it manually, then when you climb, 'lean' the mixture by pulling out the red knob. Do it carefully, watching the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) guage. When the needle on that reaches it's highest value and starts to drop down again, push the knob back in a gnat's and that's your correct mixture.

Nothing to do with the joystick, but I'd recommend one anyway. The planes are very hard to control properly with digital controls like keyboard buttons...
 2001 D2 GS (I must be mad!)
2005 D3 S 10-12 (gone and missed) 

Post #9041272nd Mar 2012 11:47 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Nice one DG Thumbs Up

Post #9043012nd Mar 2012 7:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have done a few missions...
It is nowhere near as realistic as FSX if you ask me. Looks far more arcade-like, but this could be the settings. Also, I more used to flying jet airliners than VFR planes. It is very easy controllable using the mouse and keyboard, I just had to reverse the mouse up-down movement.

It looks very good though.

Just a shame it will not run on the PC I specced for FS2K2 a couple of years ago Sad

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #9043342nd Mar 2012 8:39 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I think the scenery is better 'of the box' than FSX, but for me, if considering FSX + addons, there is just no comparison.

Sure, it is a bit arcadey, but my main gripe about Flight is that there is no worldwide scenery or heavy jets at launch (will probably cost a fair bit as downloadable content too). Plus, there doesn't appear to be any way of using addons from previous versions.

If there are a few flightsim fans on here, I wonder if it is worth creating a virtual flying club?

Post #9043402nd Mar 2012 8:56 pm
wvlenthe

Yes, this new financial model is interesting but I doubt that in the end, it will be cheaper. I see a couple of 15 euro options... That adds up to the price of FSX gold quickly.

As for a flying club, nice idea. I can only speak for myself but I have had FSX Goldd installed for over a year now, have about two hours on the clock as time is so precious.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #9043422nd Mar 2012 9:00 pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

I have no doubt this will work out to be very very expensive (the Hawaii pack price gives you a clue - if they are charging that much just for the rest of Hawaii, then how much will the charge for the world?? Shocked )

I have been using flight simulator since the '98 version and have gathered a vast selection of addons for FSX, so I don't think I will be buying much at the current prices for Flight. (I must have thousands of hours in total Whistle )

Post #9043822nd Mar 2012 10:00 pm
wvlenthe

I know where you are coming from. I think FS 4 was my first, collected numerous addons for FS95 including the southern californaia photorealistic scenery (we are talking 1995/1996 here) and loads of other stuff.

I found the vatsim network with live interaction the most realistic experience ever. For people who don't know it: you connect over the internet with a worldwide network of simmers, performing real life schedules flights at the real life time, in real time (not accellerated), guided by live Air traffic control provided by enthousiasts over the same network. Weather, runway selection, terminology, all as realistic as possible...
Well I could go on. I have bought every other version of MSFS since that time... Just love it!!
Post #9043912nd Mar 2012 10:12 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
Check that your pc is up to spec first and be aware that the download is around 1.5gb

Well thanks a bunch DG Evil or Very Mad

After downloading this game it appears that my 9 month old computer did not have the minimum processor or graphics card. Spoke to the guys in the computer shop where I bought it and for them to replace the processor with a dual core 3.0 ghz one, install a graphics card and add another 4 gb RAM it will cost £220. Shocked

And of course theres no point in doing all that and keeping the 17" monitor, better just to upgrade to a 24" widescreen one instead, £170 Shocked

So all in thanks to you, its going to cost me circa £390 Big Cry It would have been cheaper taking him for a weeks holiday in a real bloody plane.

Hey Ho Confused

Oh, forgot about the joystick Rolling with laughter

Post #9045903rd Mar 2012 2:27 pm
wvlenthe

Sounds like buying FSX is a cheaper option for you. It runs on my 2 yo PC...
Post #9046013rd Mar 2012 3:21 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

It certainly would have been Confused Its typical though, you start out with a game, then you need a joystick, then the PC needs a heart & lung transplant, then of course the monitor is too small for games etc etc shock:

Well at least when its done, there will be no further issues with putting on some games for the kids to play. (I hope)

At least the PC is used everyday so I can justify the cost easier. Smile

Post #9046393rd Mar 2012 6:15 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

B16 KJR wrote:
Quote:
Check that your pc is up to spec first and be aware that the download is around 1.5gb

Well thanks a bunch DG Evil or Very Mad

Laughing sounds to me like you needed an excuse Whistle Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #9046413rd Mar 2012 6:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >