Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Min. MTR Pressure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scrat

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Min. MTR Pressure

Whats the lowest I should inflate MTR's down too when playing in the desert?

Post #51959613th Sep 2009 10:54 pm
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It depends on how you are driving the vehicle, sand type, dry or damp!
Many variables a lot of the time it comes down to experience, dropping tyre pressure to a certain level, driving and getting a feel for how the car is performing. If it still feels "Bogged down" and not "Floating" over the sand then drop them another couple of psi.
ALWAYS have a method of pumping your tyres back up, Always carry a spare too.
Better driving with another vehicle to assist each other if needed.
I've run Muddies down to 10psi on the beach no troubles, only low speed no beadlocks fitted.
Drove up and down dunes great!
But if you are driving quicker - High range I'd say min 15psi or doing tight quick turns ( Low or High range)
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #51962014th Sep 2009 1:09 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

If you mean 255/55R19" MTR's I typically run mine at 16psi on dune or soft beach sand. Main reason for this is any lower and the tyre pressure sensors alarm (their min is 15 psi). Only once needed 12 psi and it was to get out of seaweed. At below 20 psi I wouldn't necessarily "play around in sand" as if turning suddenly the tyres can come off their rims. I've found the MTRs to be excellent, despite the low profile, in sand.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #52008015th Sep 2009 5:58 am
MARKW

United Kingdom 

I've also heard if you drop them to much you can damage the bead. Well the same with any tyre really. I'm very catious when lowering pressures on tyres.
When I compete in my challenge 90 with 35" Simex I only go as far as mid 20 psi. Otherwise you end up popping them off the rims very quickly. And I can't quite afford beadlocked rims just yet Crying or Very sad
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE

They shall not grow old as those of us left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condem. At the going down of the sun, and in the morning WE WILL REMEMBER THEM 

Post #52009315th Sep 2009 7:47 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Soft sand dunes in Morocco 15psi no problems
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #52009415th Sep 2009 7:51 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I think you have been given some good advice above by the lads that have been out in the sand, my advice would be to try different presures in all the types of sand you come across if you have time, the more you do the better you get on IMHO.

Have been been out in very hot (50c) temps in the afternoon when we had to drop to almost no pressure to get us out of a large hole we did not see in time but once out upted the presures to a safer level, also bear in mind to air up when back on the black stuff, low presures on the black stuff heat up very fast.

Hope this is of help

Andy.

Post #52010315th Sep 2009 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I know some guys that run comp 4wds and air down to 4 psi! Beadlocks though.
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #52011115th Sep 2009 8:13 am
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I agree that getting the original Goodyear or Pirelli HT tyres down much below 20-18 psi is risking rims running onto the tread. Here on our beaches, we get nice jagged limestone perfectly designed to slice sidewalls when running original tyres at low pressures. How else did I convince SWMBO that I needed MTRs within 2 months of purchase (3 sidewalls sliced in 2 months Evil or Very Mad )? The MTRs have much stiffer sidewalls that they don't bag anything like the original tyres at low pressures. Pity MTRs are about impossible to get these days (thank goodness I have 5 near-new ones Whistle Whistle ). BTW the pressures I stated above are with a very full load onboard (have to carry fresh water in west Oz to most places)
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #52011315th Sep 2009 8:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >