Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

MIRRORS FOR TOWING CARAVAN
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sand

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
MIRRORS FOR TOWING CARAVAN

Hi, wondered if anyone else towing caravans could offer some advice ref mirrors. Am planning to tow an Elddis Crusader Superstorm and wondering whether I should buy towing mirrors that bolt/screw on to the exterior of my Disco's mirrors or look at type that stick on and would also swivel when I select reverse.

Any thoughts on pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Sand

Post #18814011th Aug 2007 1:55 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Having towed for many years the best mirror I have found is the one that sticks onto the original mirror glass with a suction cup.

Post #18817911th Aug 2007 4:21 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I use the Milenco ones that clamp onto the top of the mirror's plastic housing.
They have recently "improved" the design and I dont know how good they now still are.
Mine not only allow me to benefit from being still able to see the image in the existing mirrors but I can still trim the position of the original mirrors. This way I can set the exising and extension mirrors to give wide field of view. Been very pleased with them; rock solid and easy enough to fit and remove. They come in at about £20 each.

In my view the swiveling whilst reversing the van is a curse, but with a remote extension mirror mybe some believe you will get the best of both worlds, one giving you rear wheel the other still seeing the back of the van?

Post #18818311th Aug 2007 4:34 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As a seasoned caravanner, I have tried several different types of extension mirrors over the years and have been disapointed with all of them, either because of excessive vibration or moving out of position and working loose in the wind. A few months ago I bought a pair of mirrors that attach to the existing mirrors by suction. THEY ARE BRILLIANT.

They are produced by Pyramid Products Ltd and are called "Suck it and see". They are attached to your car's mirrors by a suction clamp and are aerodynamically designed to ensure minimal vibration and claim to have been tested up to 120mph. You can't pull them off, once fitted. However, for added protection they do have a safety cord that attaches to the car's mirror mount.

They are attached in seconds and always point in the right direction because they are parallel to the car mirror and you can adjust them using your car's mirror adjustment.

If you go for them, you won't regret it, but here's a tip, you must get the convex mirror for the nearside, it gives a better field of view, flat mirror for offside. I paid £25 each, not cheap but well worth the investment.

Razz Razz Razz
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #18818811th Aug 2007 4:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sand

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Sorted, has helped me out, saw the suck and see ones the other day, but wondered if was more gimmick that practical. Cheers guys.

Post #18820211th Aug 2007 6:24 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

TonyH, Thats the same ones that I was talking about, just could'nt remember their name. They are a brilliant piece of kit.

Post #18820811th Aug 2007 8:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >