DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Mixing Tyre Brands
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MCB

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Mixing Tyre Brands

Hi

I would like a bit of advice from those of you more experienced with tyres than me, so thanks for your responses.

I currently run Pirelli Scorpions on all 4 corners. The fronts are coming to the end of their life now. I know someone who has some new correct Goodyears spare but only 2. I'm sure it is safe to mix the 2 brands - my company Peugeot has 3 differnt brands on at the moment as the lease company replace with the cheapest available tyre evey time I get a puncture!

But the D3 is a little different and its mine. Would you think I would notice any difference?

Anyone mixing tyres and notice any ride difference.

Its my wife and kids are in the car 90% of the time so i've got to be sure.

Cheers

Matt

Post #37132210th Nov 2008 10:45 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've mixed brands with other vehicles, but tried to do it only on complete axle so both front or both rear (Yes, I know we don't have a true 'axle...'
I've only ever had the same brand on all four on my Disco, but personally, I'd be happy to have fronts the same L & R and rears different, but the same L & R.

This is of course assuming that you're using the same type of tyre. i.e. don't mix MTR rear and std roads on the front.
If they're all the same road type then my view is as above.

Really you need to speak to AJS 4x4 even though your not getting the tyres form them, as a forum sponsor I'm sure Andy will give you some impartial advice. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #37132610th Nov 2008 10:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dexter

Scotland 

Hi MCB,

I've never been a fan of mixing tyre brands on a vehicle even if the tyres per axle stay the same. Different grip properties would concern me especially on a big hefty lump like the D3.
Out of interest how many miles did you get out of the Scorps, I'm approaching 14k and all four are down to close to 3mm so I'm wondering why yours have worn differently? I tow a large tinent for about 5k miles a year so maybe that explains why the rears on mine have worn more quickly than yours (I increase the tyre pressures when towing).

Dex.

Post #37132710th Nov 2008 10:52 am
Ken

As long as the tyres have the same rolling radius & are not directional & your not mixing different terrain types (mud / All) there really is not an issue

However good practice dictates keeping the same manufacture across axles

Ie Mich on front Pirelli on Rear etc

Hope that helps

Just out of interest how old are the “Spare” tyres you are getting & do you know the history tyres are the only thing in contact with the road don’t skimp to save a few pennies life is way to short

Post #37133710th Nov 2008 11:18 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Tyres are cheeper than fuel in comparison, as you can buy a tyre almost for the cost of a tank of fuel.

If poss keep all four the same, O.K.ish to mix on an old banger but not really on near on 3 tons of D3.

Also take on board what Ken said.

Andy.

Post #37134110th Nov 2008 11:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MCB

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the replies so far-

Ken - The Goodyears are new, just never fitted. Corerect D3 spec. Don't think they are that old.

Bodsy - Yes I would only change a set per axle. The new ones will go up front. Although as I say the lease company for my Peugeot don't share this view. I didn't like them mixing tyres but the driver who has to travel 30,000 miles a year gets no say. All the Kwik Fit boys say is that they are safe doing this mix and match!

Unfortunately the car is due tax/insurance/and service so spare cash for tyes is in short supply so if I can get away with just changing 2 for now that will help as they are FOC - just the fitting charges. Will replace the other 2 pretty soon anyhow once I have topped up the bank balance. Afterall as Ken says you only get one life!

Post #37134610th Nov 2008 11:46 am
Ken

They are not new if they are 3 years old they are three years old and never been used. Lots of people on E-bay get caught out like this.

We use a JIT tyre policy nothing on our racks over 3 months a real PITA with certain BMW 19's Evil or Very Mad on back orders

Post #37140110th Nov 2008 1:23 pm
al cope

England 

what size MCB, as I've a pair of 255/55x19 111V Goodyear Wranglers in the garage, about 6mm of tread, yours for £80 for the pair if you want them.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #37140710th Nov 2008 1:30 pm
ronk

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Although there seems to be nothing in the Disco 3 book re mixing tyre brands, my wife's Audi Quattro book is quite specific. It states that differing rolling radius can be tolerated but not different tyre types /tread pattern - It warns that damage may occur.

For the price of replacing a couple of tyres, is it worth the risk?

Post #37142310th Nov 2008 1:46 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

At 3 years old you still have another 2 years warranty on manufacturing defaults.

Keep them in the dark, the tyres that is, Rolling with laughter don't store in direct sunlight. Thumbs Up

Andy.

Post #37142510th Nov 2008 1:50 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

I think all tyres should be replaced every year. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Great for business. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Andy.

Post #37142710th Nov 2008 1:53 pm
Ken

Christ I wish our cars lasted a year Rolling with laughter

Post #37146510th Nov 2008 2:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >