DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

MOT Found Clunking Noise?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3
MOT Found Clunking Noise?

Hi all

I’ve had a clunking sound in the car since I’ve owned it. Usually rear left wheel. I’ve been trying to figure it out for so long. Tried spare wheel, loose parts, bla bla. Mechanic always too busy too.

BUT

The not came back and looks like they may have found it (three years later)

Please see attached and could anyone advise me does the advisory look like the culprit? Is it known to clunk? Is it safe? And what skill level is needed to fix please and thanks as always

Click image to enlarge
 Disco 3 SE Manual 2005 V6 2.7
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #232397924th Jan 2023 10:58 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Difficult to do on your own unless an experienced mechanic and have access to specific tools, feels like the back end isn't connected to the rest of the car when they are very worn ! Common issue when the car has done around 120-150k...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #232399124th Jan 2023 1:38 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If it's the bushes in the hub knuckle they're easy enough to do on the driveway - I did mine recently. They're not expensive from someone like Advanced Factors

But you will need either a bush press kit or large sockets of various sizes and a very good "G" clamp

If the bolts are seized you can cut them easily enough - I've used a hacksaw before now - but you will need to make you have spares available

You should also have the tracking checked afterwards.

This video shows it being done on a RR but it's the same principle and uses the same press

I see no ships........  
Post #232399924th Jan 2023 2:25 pm
classic kev

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Rear upper arm bushes - I did mine but had to cut the arm off. AFAIK if you can remove the arm and the bolts aren't seized you could do it on a DIY basis but you'll need a reasonable size press to remove the old bushes.

If it is the knuckle bushes, shouldn't be too bad as access is reasonably good. Not done these yet, but are on my hit list. Good luck.

Post #232402124th Jan 2023 4:46 pm
cmb2020

Thanks - am I right in understanding that it can be done by just replacing the bushes, rather than removing arms and bolts and brake lines etc? Providing I get a bush press tool?

Or is it a must to remove this bolt and arm etc?

Cheers
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #232404124th Jan 2023 7:06 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If it is definitely the hub knuckle bushes then, yes, you can remove the upper and lower hub knuckle bushes with a minimal amount of dismantling and without removing the arm.

You'll obviously have to remove (or cut if siezed) the hub bush bolts to press out the old ones etc.

Remember the lower bush has a retaining circlip that must be removed and replaced - new ones may be included with the bush.

If it's the bushes in the arm then the arm has to come off.
 I see no ships........  
Post #232404324th Jan 2023 7:46 pm
classic kev

cmb2020 wrote:
Thanks - am I right in understanding that it can be done by just replacing the bushes, rather than removing arms and bolts and brake lines etc? Providing I get a bush press tool?

Or is it a must to remove this bolt and arm etc?

Cheers

If it is the bushes on the upper arm, then it is more likely you will be better off just replacing the arm(s). You have to remove the arms to do those bushes and if the bolts are seized, you will likely end up cutting the arm to get it off. So that's that. Not done a lower arm but would assume it is much the same as the top arm although I think access to the bolts is a bit better.

FWIW I did a bit of a write up when I did the rear upper arms, have a look on page 3, near the bottom.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic194444-30.html

If it is the knuckle bush then you should be able to change it by undoing the top or bottom bolt as necessary, assuming the bolt isn't seized. Worst case is you end up having to cut the bolts and remove the whole knuckle/hub carrier assembly to then press the bearing and bush out, assuming you have access to a press.

You will also need to mark the position of the cam bolts or you'll be needing a wheel alignment check as well. HTH.

Post #232409825th Jan 2023 11:14 am
cmb2020

Hi can anyone please give me an estimated price range for this being done at the garage?

Or is that a stupid question?

It’s booked in for next week as well as glow plugs

I know price can vary on glow plugs but currently don’t have a clue what price to even expect

Click image to enlarge

Tia
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #23252232nd Feb 2023 9:24 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Everything between 6 and 16 hours work x hour rate + parts….

On a older motor (LR) you never know if bolts and or nuts and glowplugs are seized or not.
If fhey are, the party starts and you never know how late it ends….

If arm’s needed cutting, do you replace them with cheaper, or HD aftermarket or Original JLR?
Same with bolt kits
Price range differs….
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #23252332nd Feb 2023 10:15 pm
classic kev

Like most things the cost is going to be a bit of a lottery.

If you only need the upper arms done and the bolts come undone then it shouldn't be too bad. BUT if the bolts are rusted and need to be cut then it could be expensive because it is going to take time. Time and cost will also be affected by whether or not the arms can be removed easily or if they have to be cut off and replaced. I replaced the complete arms.

I just looked at what I paid for a pair or rear upper arms, including the bushes and replacement bolts. The kit from AF was £156.67 + VAT + Delivery. Prices have gone up since then so if you do upper arms expect £200 + VAT on parts alone. Labour, well who knows. Assume maybe £80/hr and up to 10 hrs and you're at £800.00 (+VAT) So could be expensive. You'll also need to factor in a full 4 wheel alignment.

If it is just the knuckle bushes/bearings, a full set of 4 from AF is £100.00 give or take. I know I have just bought all 4. Labour, no idea. Again assuming everything comes apart easily then I expect maybe 4 or 5 hours as a DIY job, so in a garage 3 or 4 hours?

Then you have to ask the question if you bite the bullet while you're about it and replace the rear discs and pads and check/replace the EPB shoes. You might also want to look at the short section of brake pipe on each of the rear arms - if crusty replace.

The other thing you mention was glow plugs. Everything depends on whether or not they are seized. If not, then an easy enough job. If they are seized the time goes up as does the risk of snapping the plugs in the head. I was lucky, I changed mine without issue but there are stories out there seized glow plugs can end up costing quite a bit, like knocking on for £1,000.00.

Hope that helps.

Post #23252523rd Feb 2023 8:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >