Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Motion Sickness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The world is going mad! Just means yu have to buy pedal bin bags instead, that's what our carrier bags get used for. Saves a few pounds a year. S'pose our leaders don't get VAT (sales tax type sting) from the carrier bags but do fro us buying extra bin bags.

Rant over!

Post #6969611th Jul 2006 2:42 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, there's been a few complaints here. We have a reasonably big tourism industry and the tourists aren't prepared for the green bag policy. One was reported in the paper recently as leaving several hundred dollars worth of groceries at the checkout because the shop wouldn't supply bags.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #6969911th Jul 2006 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
twizzle

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I allways "borrow" sick bags from Ferry Companies and Airlines.... have quite a stock... keep a few in rear seat map holders and train kids on " open and aim techniques" .....

IMO, DVD makes them worse... we are also Sail and any person prone to sickness should constantly vary their view, it's also beneficial to eat plenty before the trip as motion sickness is worse (IMO) on an empty stomach.

Any medical professionals out there who could validate?

Post #6988212th Jul 2006 1:14 pm
eddtheduck

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sorry to say I'm one of those professionals and agree with your comments - hence my elaborate tests to avoid said problems in my kids.

DVD makes it worse because there is often motion in the filming which confuses the brain with what it is feeling with the car's motion. Same goes for games of any description (PSP, PS2 etc etc). The kids now know when to stop watch tv/reading and the sensations soon pass.

I do agree with your empty stomach theory as well. I advise small meals and staying well hydrated too. Big meals only means the need for a big sick bag!
 2008.5 D3 HSE, Stornoway, Ebony
2007 BMW 335iSE - lust for speed satisfied 

Post #6989112th Jul 2006 1:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

Jam is the best thing for motion sickness, it tastes the same both ways Shocked
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6989412th Jul 2006 1:33 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had this issue with mine untill the compressor was upgraded. now touch wood 3 months and no sickness.... worth asking if it has the latest compressor fitted and if not drive one that has and has also had the latest software Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7000412th Jul 2006 8:41 pm
Geoff Rogers

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
re: Motion Sickness.

Hi WWG, welcome from Adelaide also Smile

In my opinion, some people are pre-disposed towards motion sickness, and others are not. It's as simple as that. I speak from several years experience in sailplanes and boats. I agree with the posts that a DVD or a similar "inside the cabin" distraction could make it worse. This is because the inner ear signals concering motion and acceleration, etc, are not being over-ridden by the more dominant signal from the eye, which is normally the case. The eye signal is believed by the brain before the inner ear signal. If you have an internal device (DVD, etc) being watched, this device is subject ot the same acceleration and pitching motion that the inner ear experiences. The viewer's attention is on the DVD and the eye follows the motion of this device as well, so in fact the eye signal reinforces the motion signal, and the motion sickness comes in quicker. Where's the bag, ...quick....

It is better if the eye can give a stable signal. This is achieved by focussing (looking) at a distant object, for example the horizon, far-away trees or hills, etc., which to all intents are stationary and not moving. The eye signal sees this and interprets it as "normal" or stable, and negates to a very large extent the inner ear motion signals being sent at the same time.

Another trick to avoid motion sickness is to place the candidate in the front seat rather than the rear. Due to the vehicle's geometry the pitching and rolling motion experienced from the front seat row is the lesser of the two (or 3 seat rows for D3's ) and the effect is minimised. It also has the added benefit of giving a superior forward looking view through the front windscreen which the eye naturally and atomatically looks out upon, which probably helps as well.

Reinforcing this premise is the fact that it is very rare for the driver or operator of the car, boat or aircraft to suffer motion sickness. Why? Because this person is looking out most of the time, at relatively distant (stationary) objects, giving his brain stable signals which override the others being felt and experienced. He is also pre-occupied with the management of the driven device, whcih also gives the brain other signals to work with, minimising the motion effect signals further.

On another matter, from which Dealer / where are you looking for your Disco? PM me if you want some local Adelaide "advice".
Cheers,
Geoff.

Post #7006913th Jul 2006 12:27 am
wwg

Australia 

Both dealers in Adelaide are owned by the same entity. I have been communicating with Barry Pitman from Black Forest Land Rover. He does limit the sales idiom except when the discussion turns to fuel consumption, competitor vehicles and service costs, and it is at this point he loses my attention.
My offspring do not suffer motion sickness in conventional sedans.....and fear not, the quip re screen technology was tongue in cheek. I am aware of the interplay between the inner ears and eyes, and the resultant impact on perceived balance.

Post #7007613th Jul 2006 7:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >