Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Motor movers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
tsale0512

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4
Motor movers

Am looking at a twin axle caravan - certainly need a mover, but do I need one or two motor movers on it (one per set of wheels) Also anyone recommend a good mover, been quoted £2000 for a two motors!
Thanks in advance

Post #127026915th Apr 2014 3:34 pm
Andym01207

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thats about right. I think our Powertouch was approaching half of that fitted.
One of the reasons we bought just about the biggest single axle available rather than the equivalent twin.

Post #127027115th Apr 2014 3:39 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

You are better having each of your 4 wheels driven, it will give you a lot more control Thumbs Up

You wont go wrong with Reich, not cheap but top quality.

Post #127028215th Apr 2014 4:16 pm
Sudds

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

We have a powrtouch on ours. They come to the house to fit it, and a 5 year guarantee. Easy for spares if you need any new rollers. Never had any problems in all the time I've had it.(That's jinxed it, watch it not work next time I need it)

Post #127031815th Apr 2014 6:25 pm
Gornalhills

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thinking of getting one also, have got a Bailey senator Indiana single axle but its quite a long van so a mover would be a good move, nice on the move but can be a little tight on to the pitch still hooked to the old D3. Any advice on the battery condition to mover effort !! Thumbs Up

Post #127033015th Apr 2014 6:45 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

We had a twin axle and made the mistake of having the mover on one pair of wheels. Wish we had the version that drives all 4 wheels. In my opinion, the 2 motors is not up to the job. Also, you can get into a situation where the driven wheels may not be carrying the load and then spin as the motor drives the unladen wheels. This can happen coming off the drive etc.

If you do fit to just one axle, it is recommended that you fit to rear. That way you can jack up the jockey wheel to put the load on the rear axle wheels. However, that normally involves moving the spare wheel carrier!

We have now got a single axle bailey!
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #127034915th Apr 2014 7:00 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Another Thumbs Up for ther Powertouch 4wd.

My old twin axle, I fitted a power touch to each axle. Cost £1500 for self-fit which was not that difficult. (2007)

Only ever had one problem, that was one of the motors ceased to function, caused by a stuck brush. The Powertouch engineer came out to my house and fixed it very quickly.

Now got a new Powertouch single axle on my new single axle caravan.

Post #127035415th Apr 2014 7:07 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Ours is also Powertouch Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #127037615th Apr 2014 7:42 pm
tomthumb

United Kingdom 

As allready said, a twin motor setup with drive on all 4 wheels is the way to go.
But watch your user payload as the movers eat into this.

Ive got a single axle mover fitted (selectable twin or single axle setup) on a twin axle van & it dose the job at home on a block paved drive, but on wet grass on any sort of slope it can spin the wheels.

I can reverse the unit no problem, but on site, space with a big van can be limited occasionally, a mover will negate this.
So if funds & spare payload allows, go 4x4. our cars are Thumbs Up

Depending where you park the van, if at home, rember you still need access to the mover power switch & if It's a manual engage unit, parking a van up close to a wall or tight space might cause problems.

Draging a tintent about with a disco tho, you cant do any better Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
 RRSport MY12hse but don't hold that against lill o me
Hybrid TV, cubby Fridge, Surround Camera's, Sun Roof.

Disco 3 MY05hse Sadly gone

All alone in my own little world,
But everybody knows me there, so I'm ok. 

Post #127038515th Apr 2014 7:51 pm
fisherman

Wales 

My new Swift Conqueror 645 is due for collection on 1st of May. I've arranged fitment of the Powrtouch Evolution AWD Auto engage movers which set me back a whopping £1800!!!
Couldn't be without them considering the turn I have to make to get it into my drive (which it enters nose first). They weigh about 60kg which is quite a lump and eats into the 247kg load limit.
I also have Air con which is a further 32kg. (Dometic Freshjet 2200 from PB Auto electrics. £1340.00 incl vat and delivery. Couldn't find cheaper anywhere)
The movers are something that I just couldn't compromise on as without them I would never be able to get it into my driveway. The dealership said they are by far the best product available and the service from Powrtouch is second to none.
Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #127174618th Apr 2014 2:20 pm
Magwhy

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Guys,
If anyone is interested I have for sale a single axle powrtouch HD which I took off my old van. PM me for details.

I now have a twin axle and have the 4WD powrtouch evolution power actuated. If you intend to turn a twin axle off hitch the a mover is a must IMO.

Post #127314121st Apr 2014 10:59 pm
Eyeball

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have had my twin axle Elite Searcher 3 years now and can honestly say I have only once in that time cursed not having a motor-mover (Napps Farm Site in North Devon...anyone who has been there will know!!). I think the Discovery is excellent at maneuvering the Caravan into place (there is no way I could push 1800kgs). I would save myself the circa £2K for a good mover and just cope!!
A tip I have found useful (depending on reception) is to use a large dollop of bluetac on the back of SWMBO's iphone stuck on the number plate and then facetime her from mine in the car.....home made reversing camera!!
 D3 HSE 06 with all the bells and whistles Smile
New engine at 80k!
Intelligent FBH
Pulling Sterling Continental 630 

Post #127331622nd Apr 2014 1:41 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a 2 motor version installed in my twin in 2008 from Powrtouch, its been broken more than its worked. They do come out quickly when you call for support though.

I think the strain is just too much for it. So would suggest the 4 motor would be better.

Its taught me to reverse better Whistle
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #127332622nd Apr 2014 1:53 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Eyeball wrote:
...........A tip I have found useful (depending on reception) is to use a large dollop of bluetac on the back of SWMBO's iphone stuck on the number plate and then facetime her from mine in the car.....home made reversing camera!!

That's what I love about this forum - loads of good (if somewhat barking at times Laughing ) ideas

Bow down

Post #127335522nd Apr 2014 3:09 pm
fisherman

Wales 

I've been caravanning for 25 years and only discovered movers when I bought my 1988 Carlight 152 some 4 years ago. It made life so easy when getting the caravan on the driveway across the back of my garden. The door would have been against my back wall and access would have been less than easy for a lump like me if I'd just backed it in. There is of course the added security of having the A frame at the wrong end for someone to make a quick getaway. (Many a knock on the door asking to have a look around it Shocked ). The same applies to my new van insofar as the door to be facing the garden/house has to be nosed in. Not a D3 task as I wouldn't be able to get the D3 out without taking the van out first and certainly can't push the 1900kgs up the driveway.
I see it as £1800 well spent and used the cost as a negotiating tool to get the van for much less than advertised. In fact I paid £1200 less than advertised and had the movers, A/C fitted and the Omnivent moved to the bathroom from where the A/C was fitted. Just needed to play one dealer off against another for a few days. Downside is I've had to travel two and a half hours away to find a dealer willing to do the deal. Upside, I drive a D3. Thumbs Up
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #127335922nd Apr 2014 3:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >