DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Motorhome vs Caravan....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Motorhome vs Caravan....

We had a great summer in the caravan this year. We used it for 2 weeks in Spain, a week in the Lakes, week in Yorkshire, plus a few long weekends.

It is a twin axle Elddis Crusader Sirocco, and is a very decent caravan. However, from now on its just likely to be me and the wife, along with the dog, we don't need such a big caravan. The downside to towing such a big caravan is that it murders the fuel consumption!

So, I am going to sell it and downsize. We do like the idea of a small motorhome, 2 berth. There seems to be plenty for sale.

What are folks experiences of moving from a caravan to a motorhome? pro's & cons etc.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #84168029th Sep 2011 7:21 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Only had a caravan but dont think we could never go to a motorhome... we pitch up and then use the car to get around the local area. Not so easy when you have to move your 'home' every time.

Post #84168429th Sep 2011 7:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, but we fancy going 'off the beaten track' a bit more. Some of the areas we want to tour, such as Eire, and Scottish islands might not suit towing a caravan. I understand the lack of easy mobility when on site, its a definite negative for the motorhome.

Post #84169129th Sep 2011 7:33 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You can always put a small motorcycle on the back if you do need to get around!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #84169229th Sep 2011 7:38 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Their are some roads in the Scottish islands that are not siutable but belive their are wasy around, might be a big detoure but possible. Thumbs Up
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #84170629th Sep 2011 7:57 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have sold my caravan and bought a motorhome, it is a whole new experience in a nice way, with a selection of awnings available you can soon double your living area.

As for having no car, not a problem at all, we take bikes and when I go to the South of France I take my motorbike as well. We have a boat and when you arrive in a marina home or abroad we don't have a car but make do with what is there and plan accordingly. The traffic is so horrendous around St Tropez it's pretty pointless having a car anyway!

To be able to just pull over somewhere and step into your house behind you without getting out is amazing, we have all possible gadgets and it is home from home.

Amy questions I am more than happy to help Thumbs Up

Post #84172729th Sep 2011 8:18 pm
mick

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

One advantage of a motor home you can tow a boat Thumbs Up

Post #84173429th Sep 2011 8:27 pm
Matty 2332

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ive tried both and would have a caravan over a camper/ motorhome. Its too much hassle having to stow everything away everytime I want to do a bit of sight seeing, increased fuel having to lug the whole kit and kaboodle everywhere.
Returning to my pitch to find some has nicked it (despite a reserved sign) ! finding another spot and having to level up all over again. Re-fill water tanks, having to pull up near a tap to fill up ! All too much hassle at a time when you want to take it easy. Depending on model, generally more room in a caravan. Imagine having to take your awning down everytime you go for a drive, and having to refit on your return. You even see motorhomes towing small cars !!!
There cant be many places where a Caravan wont go where a motorhome can. Stick with your caravan, invest in a powered mover to take the strain out of leveling/ squaring up Thumbs Up

Post #84173829th Sep 2011 8:31 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth have a look on here
www.actionmobil.com
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #84174429th Sep 2011 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the replies so far, all very helpful.

Post #84174529th Sep 2011 8:41 pm
abernanteagle

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

We have a motorhome. Its pretty big sleeping 6 of us but we love it. If you are driving along and see a nice view, just pull over and have a brew/bacon sarnie/cold beer as the mood takes. We use it a lot for days out down the gower in the summer, a few music festival weekends (great if it hammers down with rain), kids have sleepovers in it on the drive and a bit or european touring. Pricey but you seem to have more room than in a caravan somehow.

Only £165 to tax for a year too!
 Dec 04 TDV6 HSE in Tonga green with Alpaca interior.  
Post #84174629th Sep 2011 8:41 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

we are going through similar thoughts, in fact 18months ago we down sized from the family 4 berth caravan, at the time we looked at old VW campers, new camper,s van conversion, small motorhomes, cheap new motorhomes and more expensive ones, etc in the end we bought a new two berth caravan (swift480 end bathroom)
The reasons where
1/we did not want to have to pack all the crocks away when we wanted to go out for the day, fried have motorhomes and this appear to be a nuisance.

2/ Although we go to Europe we are not yet touring round, even when we drive to the south it is simple to over night still with the caravan
3/ With the awning and extensions we can still get the kids + BF/GF in as a base for a week.
4/ not good at Land Rover event - although at least 2 members have and bring motor home and Disco

However
With the kids away more, we (me + SWIMBO) want to get away more for weekends to CL and the like, and do a bit of walking of cycling. here a motorhome is an advantage as folk with them do not need to go off site in any vehicle, all the goodies being brought in, it also means to us that the camping season can be extended in to the Autumn / Winter /Spring as the getting to A or B warms the interior up, and you do not have to get out so much when you get there.
Finally when the kids eventual fly the nest and I retire (14 years yet but i am counting) I do want to tour, so I can see our next caravan being a motorhome.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #84174829th Sep 2011 8:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Ray, I think yours, and my idea of a motorhome differ somewhat 8)

I understand there is a nice Unimog based 2 berth on ebay - winning bidder to collect from a ditch in the Amazon Laughing

Post #84174929th Sep 2011 8:44 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gareth they are Lottery winners ones Rolling with laughter i do know what you after get one that wont fall to bits if you go up to the far north places
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #84175129th Sep 2011 8:48 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Matty 2332 wrote:
Ive tried both and would have a caravan over a camper/ motorhome. Its too much hassle having to stow everything away everytime I want to do a bit of sight seeing, increased fuel having to lug the whole kit and kaboodle everywhere.
Returning to my pitch to find some has nicked it (despite a reserved sign) ! finding another spot and having to level up all over again. Re-fill water tanks, having to pull up near a tap to fill up ! All too much hassle at a time when you want to take it easy. Depending on model, generally more room in a caravan. Imagine having to take your awning down everytime you go for a drive, and having to refit on your return. You even see motorhomes towing small cars !!!
There cant be many places where a Caravan wont go where a motorhome can. Stick with your caravan, invest in a powered mover to take the strain out of leveling/ squaring up Thumbs Up

What a load of drivel Laughing

Drivel 1.
Water - How the Censored Do you get water for the caravan? How about the same method and use a 12v pump to pump it into the motorhome tank!

Drivel 2.
Awning - Buy a Censored ing Drive Away Awning, unclip it and drive off

FFS I can see the type of person I am dealing with Rolling with laughter

Drivel 3.
There can't be many places a caravan can't go that a motorhome can - It is a whole different way of enjoying the outdoors, a motorhome is stress free, you can be set up in minutes, it is as easy to manoever as a car and can travel faster than those limited by towing speed, especially in France.

Drivel 4. Returning to find your pitch gone - I to Drivel 2, and remind you of the fact you can take bikes (no lardy Censored motorhomers), motorcycle or even tow a small car, we have a Citroen C4 as a 'toad'.

Well there is so much more I will let someone else have a go, i have had both and personally prefer the motorhome, it seems to attract a classier type of person Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #84175329th Sep 2011 8:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >