Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

How much weight can be attached to the hitch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Think I’ll be fine but why don’t I (tell my insurers and) buy an Aussie fixed hitch. Must be safe – unless Aussie gravity is different......

Post #18777169th Nov 2017 9:20 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just looked at LR4 figures from JLR Australia web site :-http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/LS/2016/T22693/18970_en_GBR/proc/G1820635
Maximum permissible towing weights lb (kg)
Unbraked trailers 1 653 (750)
Trailers with overrun brakes 7 716 (3 500)
Tongue weight 551 (250)
Gross Train Weight (GTW) 14 903 (6 760)

Looks to me that 250kg is the maximum hitch loading

Post #18777699th Nov 2017 11:23 pm
garrycol

Australia 

Unfortunately that link takes you to the .com site not the .com.au site - I can assure you that in the Australian supplement the ball limit is 350kg.

Unfortunately LR is too tight to produce handbooks for our specific market so we have either the UK or US Handbooks with a loose supplement covering our vehicles. We could never be able to tow our full size vans with only 250kg tow ball limit.

This is a pic of the relevant page from the Australian Supplement.
Click image to enlarge
Aust Supplement by Garry Collins, on Flickr

Our "plough" plugs into the slot into rear x member and is rated to 350kg so the slot is good enough. As your swan necks are not certified for use in Australia I believe our units are not certified in the UK. Your swan necks are just plain sub standard where to certify our bars is an expensive process. We also have fixed bars that get around the problems of the plough - poor ground clearance, difficult to remove with the spare tyre in place etc. I have one on my car - unsitely but works well - is mounted to the tow ring and bolted around the slot in the x member and is Aus Certified to 3500kg tow and 350kg ball weight and is at the right height.

Click image to enlarge
IMG_0089 by Garry Collins, on Flickr

Garry

Post #187779110th Nov 2017 2:30 am
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Garry your tow hitch looks much neater than mine (Mitchell bros.) - how do you access the plug socket?

I would add that LR recommend (from memory) about 260kg max tow ball (for the suspension not chassis). I would concur with this... I have plated 270kg ball weight and guess I run about 280-290kg loaded. (please lets not turn this into a van weight distribution thread). With a couple of kids and a bit of luggage and full fuel tank - it is bordering on too heavy (the suspension bounces). I certainly feel much more comfortable once the fuel runs down to 1/2 tank.

Post #187779410th Nov 2017 4:28 am
garrycol

Australia 

"Garry your tow hitch looks much neater than mine (Mitchell bros.) - how do you access the plug socket?"

It is a Mitchell Bros Hitch Smile

The standard cover for the tow point and sockets has been cut in half and trimmed. Each section can be removed individually and each section still has its twist knob on the bottom and locating tab at the top - and fits in behind the hitch at the side. As you see it in my pic is with the now two covers in place.

With one side lifted out - I only have the one socket as shown in the pic - I have an Andersen Plug on the other side connected directly to the battery. If I later fit an aux battery the Andersen Plug will be connected to it.

Post #187779610th Nov 2017 4:49 am
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Looks great I now have to find my cover plate in the garage. hmmm. Btw if you haven't done it already don't accidentally walk into the tow hitch - they don't really have much give in them.

Post #187779810th Nov 2017 5:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >