Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Multi-height tow bar- is drop-plate needed ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
grahamandsam

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Multi-height tow bar- is drop-plate needed ?

Hi- I have just fitted a maxxraxx cycle carrier and cannot put their plate between the tow ball and drop plate as the screws aren't long enough-
Is the drop plate essential for safety or can I take it off and just fit the tow ball to the fitting behind the drop plate ?

Post #4348548th Mar 2009 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Get some longer bolts Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #4348578th Mar 2009 1:48 pm
al cope

England 

take it off, if you towball height doesnt need it.

I've the witter bike rack, and like you, its fitted between the towball and the bracket.

see here:

Click image to enlarge

and dont go the longer bolt route, as there's a bit of EU legislation (EC94/20 I think) that states the max distance from face of bracket to towball (and I cant remember what it is), but your local towing place would know. It's caused some folks some issues when they've wanted to have both a bike rack bracket and a caravan stabiliser bracket bolted between the towball and the towbar.

I've also noticed you've got a spacer fitted already, see this note from EC94/20:

Accessories
Most towbar manufacturers have allowed, in the towbar test and approval application, for the inclusion of various accessories, often by including a spacer in the towbar kit, which is removed when the accessory is fitted. This information should be clearly stated in the fitting instructions. If there is any doubt, you should contact the towbar supplier. This would apply to all accessories that move the towbar rearwards from the towbar.

And:

Towballs :- After fitting a towbar to your customer's vehicle please explain that the height of the towbar from the centre of the ball to the ground will be between 350mm & 420mm, when the vehicle is fully laden, in accordance with Directive EC94/20. Therefore in order to attain this height, the unladen ball height will be much higher than the fully laden height & will vary depending on vehicle type.

Towballs are not interchangeable between bars. They are designed for specific vehicles and comply with legal and technical requirements. Therefore we are unable to supply towballs for any vehicles they are not designed for (e.g. to alter the height, to extend the ball away from the bumper etc.). To do so would invalidate type approval & render the bar illegal. There must also be a minimum distance of 65mm between the bumper and the centre of the towball to conform to directive EC94/20. Please note that if an Alko stabiliser is being utilised then the Minimum distance required is 67mm.

Sorry for the lengthy text, just thought it might help

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Last edited by al cope on 8th Mar 2009 9:21 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #4348628th Mar 2009 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

When I collected my 08 D3 the dealer refused to remove the drop plate. Took it to another dealer who also refused to remove it for me. The drop plate is not a requirement unless YOU require it. I have a letter from LR to confirm the situation. LR agree that there was some confusion which should now be cleared.
Quote:

Post #4348938th Mar 2009 3:36 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

When I collected my 08 D3 the dealer refused to remove the drop plate. Took it to another dealer who also refused to remove it for me. The drop plate is not a requirement unless YOU require it. I have a letter from LR to confirm the situation. LR agree that there was some confusion which should now be cleared.
Quote:

Post #4348958th Mar 2009 3:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >