Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

MY16 AFS Headlights in-op
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
MY16 AFS Headlights in-op

Was wondering if anyone had any similar problems as could not find any on searching. The AFS are standard on this vehicle and are switched on in the CCF but at 3 years old dont seem to work. I think i have seen them attempt to move on start up but could be imagining this as my old D3 had them and they danced perfectly on startup.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated and perhaps the location of the appropriate ECU or where to start?
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #201311028th Dec 2018 12:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If they move at startup, and the warning light is off, then they are probably ok. They don't move a lot with the steering, and only when your moving forwards. I have 2013 model, with AFS and recently had the warning light come on. When it did, the beams dropped very low and there was no 'dance' at startup.

Eventually traced to damaged wiring in the loom behind the right hand headlamp. It was damaged inside the plastic shield that guides it around the front chassis, and into the wheel arch area. It was very difficult to see the damage. Spliced the wires and its fine now.

Post #201317228th Dec 2018 4:21 pm
Washwipe

England 

Mine don’t dance, well not like the ones on one of the boys Focus when he had it. All mine do on start up, they are pointed slightly down and slightly to the left and they immediately raise and centre.

Post #201317628th Dec 2018 4:33 pm
Oscarsball

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Lights

I also have a 2016 D4 and I think the adaptive lights are a little bit more refined than they used to be on my D3. I can definitely notice mine move on the road more noticeable on a very dark section of road. But the dancing bit on start up is as you say not there like the d3 which used to move all over the place on start up. I know on my old d3 when you went round a corner the lights seemed to suddenly just jump round the corner with very little moving of the wheel but the D4 doesn’t and As I say I do see mine move but not like the old one.

Post #201330529th Dec 2018 8:04 am
Ceekay

Thanks for the replies I will try and look closer on start up but when i leave work at night the lights shine on the wall or shutter door and and there is no movement or very slight movement if anything at all .
I think i read that if one light fails it sometimes stops the other working but not sure if this is the case. Thumbs Up

Post #201341429th Dec 2018 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I thought AFS was an optional extra on 2016 HSE. Seem to remember specifying it when I ordered mine.

Post #201342329th Dec 2018 3:21 pm
Washwipe

England 

Ceekay wrote:
Thanks for the replies I will try and look closer on start up but when i leave work at night the lights shine on the wall or shutter door and and there is no movement or very slight movement if anything at all .
I think i read that if one light fails it sometimes stops the other working but not sure if this is the case. Thumbs Up

Would have thought if you had an issue the Amber Warning Light would be on.

ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM (AFS)

When cornering using dipped beam, the Adaptive Front lighting System (AFS) adjusts the headlight beams to provide improved illumination in the direction of travel.

From the book.
AFS is deactivated when:

Reverse (R) gear is selected.

The vehicle is stationary.

The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are switched on.

If a system fault is detected, the headlights attempt to move to the central position, and remain stationary. The AFS warning lamp illuminates to indicate that a fault is present. See ADAPTIVE FRONT LIGHTING SYSTEM (AFS) (AMBER).

Post #201346529th Dec 2018 5:07 pm
Ceekay

markate wrote:
I thought AFS was an optional extra on 2016 HSE. Seem to remember specifying it when I ordered mine.

Mine is a 65 plate (MY16 Lux) as far as i can see they were standard and are switched on in the CCF Thumbs Up

Post #201353229th Dec 2018 7:15 pm
Ceekay

Thanks Washwipe for that,

No Amber warning light.

When i get home at night i more or less have to do a U turn in my close before I back onto the drive and my headlights are visible in my neighbours front window and no obvious sign of the light beams moving just my cornering lights come on as they seem to do all the time in the D4 when turning even slightly. The same move in my D3 you would see them turn and then more so straigten back up.

In ref to the daytime running lights they seen to stay on as signature type lights at night with the dipped beam so not sure if that is correct or would cause the AFS not to operate though I would think this is standard tbh.

Perhaps they were never fitted in my Lux as they seem to of left 2 or 3 other items off Shocked Thumbs Up

Post #201353429th Dec 2018 7:22 pm
Washwipe

England 

If you have them you will have the Amber warning light as it does the system check. (Amber Light with an arrow at the bottom going both ways)

I park about a metre from a wall, watch the lights as you press the Start button, seconds after the engine fires it’s all over.

Post #201358429th Dec 2018 9:05 pm
Oscarsball

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Guessing you have a Gap or similar as you know they are on in ccf. I have just tried parking in front
Of a wall and in a dark corner they are nothing like my old d3 but they definitely move when I start car . I have just plugged in my gap and the ccf shows it all activated and no faults

Post #201359129th Dec 2018 9:33 pm
Ceekay

Thanks,

No amber light after starting up with the headlights set to Auto. I only used to get the Amber light on my D3 if something was wrong with the headlights not as they were dancing as such. If this is the case in a D4 im beginning to think I may not have them then but they were switched on in the CCF (GAP IID BT). I would be gutted if I didnt as its one of my favorite tech features that would of been a deal breaker. Surely a 65 plate (MY16 spec) HSE LUX would of had these as standard?

I believe you can check the spec your vehicle left the factory somewhere anyone got a link?

Cheers for the help Thumbs Up

Post #201371130th Dec 2018 1:39 pm
martyn837

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Try here:

https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/vehicle/lookupForm

Post #201373330th Dec 2018 4:55 pm
Ceekay

Thanks Martyn but which one of the 3 choices do i select and do i need to register?

Post #201376430th Dec 2018 6:50 pm
Washwipe

England 

Bottom one, you need to register first Wink

Post #201378730th Dec 2018 7:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >