Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

MY16 D4 HSE driver Seat position issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Well I got to spend some time at the dealers today... double checked against other D4's and yes, for some reason LR have reduced the seat travel on later D4's. This means that it's now impossible for me to put my foot on the brake without my knees hitting the underside of the steering wheel. That's with the seat at it's furthest back/lowest and the wheel raised to the highest position. I can move the wheel out closer to my chest (like many old ladies around here) but that isn't a comfortable or useable solution.

The Dealer said he's never heard of this before but that he'd check on the LR system... some time later he declares that I am the first person to notice !!! I find that hard to believe as I'm only 6'2" and it really is an uncomfortable position if you have long legs.

He said LR wouldn't really be interested in finding a solution as it's no longer a current model and the dealers wouldn't be able to touch the seats as they form part of the crash certification. Evil or Very Mad

We discussed the fact that LR's target market now have shorter legs (which I think we all knew) and I've decided that this brand is no longer for me. I'll be looking to sell my almost new HSE Luxury shortly unless I can find a quick solution to this seating problem.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #172590528th Oct 2016 5:39 pm
Braehead

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I presume you bought it new and therefore assumed it would be the same as before? I'd still send a letter or email to customer service. May do no good but might make you feel better!

Post #172592128th Oct 2016 6:25 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Does anyone kwow when this change came into effect? Was it a model year change or just a component revision mid model year?
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #172593928th Oct 2016 6:45 pm
crews control

Braehead wrote:
I presume you bought it new and therefore assumed it would be the same as before?

Exactly... it never occurred to me that they'd reduce the leg room for no reason Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Driving it is screwing with my back so I'm definitely going to have a moan, not that I think they'll be bothered for a minute.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #172595428th Oct 2016 7:07 pm
J Wilson

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Can't believe I'm reading this!!!! I've been complaining to my wife since I got my new disco 4 about 1 month ago, that my lower back has been sore on long journeys, to which I'm told "shut up and go buy a micra then" and "it's all in your head"

I definitely notice the seating is not as comfortable as my 05 disco 3 I traded in. I was just afraid to say anything in fear of sounding like a moaning prick.... I adjust the seat daily to try find a comfortable position, but to date, I've failed....
 2016 discovery 4 Landmark in Waitomo grey
2014 Volkswagen Amarok dark label
2013 Audi Q7 S line
2007 Audi Q7 S line
2007 Nissan Navara
2005 Discovery 3 SE in Silver 

Post #172596128th Oct 2016 7:22 pm
crews control

I've never had back problems until having to do long journeys in this car... I can't believe LR are not aware of the issue - maybe we all need to let customer services know as soon as possible?
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #172599028th Oct 2016 7:56 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

As promised I've spent some time this morning comparing the Driverseat between my MY10 and SWMBOs MY16 this morning.

I've measured:
- the seat rails that move the seat backwards and forwards and these are identical;
- the actual distance from the go faster pedal to the seat back cushion with the seat as far back and down as possible (which it normally is for me), and these are identical;
- the seat height, front and back, identical;
- the distance to the dash from the base of the back and identical;
- the positions of pedals (left to right), identical;
- I compared the rest of the mechanisms underneath as best as I could and measured where possible to get in and again, identical.

Only differences were and these were minor ie 10-15mm max:
- angle of seat cushion was 15mm lower on the MY16 at the front, now adjusted;
- angle of the seat back - top to dash was 10mm closer, now adjusted;
- height & reach of steering wheel, now adjusted;
- only other things I could alter/compare was amount of inflation in the side and lumbar supports, these were different and I've now adjusted them to best guess as there's no measurement I can reference for these.

On the basis of this I conclude that the seat frame, mechanism and position dimensions haven't changed, but that the cushion materials are in some way firmer/softer so that when my bulk sits on them it's supported differently. Now I appreciate this is in part due to my MY10 having had my fat a Censored e sat in it for the best part of it's 100k miles and in SWMBOs MY16 I've probably only done 7-8k in it to date, but still, I never had these issues in the MY10 when it was new. I'm not giving up yet and hope that although these minor (and probably to an anal degree cause of a tape measure to the millimetre) adjustments I've made with hopefully now result in a more comfortable drive when I do use the posh chariot. My gut feeling is that it down to the lumbar and kidney supports degree of inflation/deflation. Fingers crossed.

I'll report back, but not sure when as it depends on when we next do a journey of 90+ minutes with me driving it.
Post #172628629th Oct 2016 12:21 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The great Piece of Man named dgardel wrote:
From Microcat the "robotized" frame changed from (V)CA608103

and the foam was change sever times

That means

1. Frame has changed for minor update/changes but it has maintained the same characteristics.

2. Foams has changed several times, may be, as verified by MrH, in wrong direction, reducing driving comfort

But what will be changed? geometry of the shape? elastic foam feature?
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #172629029th Oct 2016 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crews control

Mr H, thank you for the meticulous measurements Thumbs Up

However, I'm now confused as to why, when going to press the brake, my knee now hits the underside of the steering wheel? it never did on the MY05 or MY11. I don't doubt your measurements, but something about the geometry of the MY16 seat has changed because it's now impossible to get close to a comfortable driving position. My legs are now closer to my body (more upright) than they ever were with either of the previous two disco3/4's I've owned... which is why I assumed that the seat doesn't go back as far.

I didn't even know what Sciatica was until I bought this car so I will be taking this further with customer services and I'll let you know how I get on.
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #172629829th Oct 2016 12:53 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

I'm in the same boat, but as said all I can assume is that the seat cushions are that much thicker and firmer.
Post #172634429th Oct 2016 3:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >