Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

MY16 D4 Landmark - Start/Stop - General Advice Needed Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
DarrenC

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
MY16 D4 Landmark - Start/Stop - General Advice Needed Please

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here (except my hello post), and so please be kind.

On Friday last week (3 days ago), I took delivery of my first Discovery. An MY16 Landmark, and it is beautiful and a credit to the formaer owner. Before delivery, the dealer (not main LR dealer) told me they were having issues with the start/stop not working, and so they fitted a new genuine LR start stop auxilliary battery.

In my 3 days of ownership, the car has not auto stopped/started once, and for about 90% of the time, the amber Eco light has been illuminated.

The strange thing is, that on the rare occasion the light has gone off, the car has still not stopped/started on a single occasion !

I have now read numerous posts on this topic, and a continuous light seems to mean a faulty aux battery, despite mine having been changed.

I now have a decision to make. I want to be clear, that I do not care about start/stop, but my opinion is, on such an expensive car, it should work (at least occasionally). I could reject this car (30 days on used car purchase), and demand a full refund. I can ask the dealer (150 miles from my house to take it back and fix the problem. I can arrange for the car to go to LR/Independent garage, and get the selling dealer to pay the cost.

Is ths simply a poor main battery (do the symptons match what i am seeing ?), or is this something more serious ?

Does anybody have any suggestions here as to what the cause may be ?

Thanks
Darren

Post #218724615th Nov 2020 7:10 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I have just upgraded to a MY16 Landmark from my 2006 V8 (miss that engine; the 3L sounds like a bag of spanners). Anyway, yes absolutely it should work. Everything should work. I had the stealer change the SS battery on my car before I took it and it's fine.

If the stealer is a long way away I'd suggest speaking to them and purchasing a new battery online (they aren't expensive) and changing it yourself and getting them to pick up the cost of the part. If that sorts it, you're set. If not, then you need to figure out what's wrong. But I'd start with the cheap and most convenient option first and go from there. (May also be worth checking the battery is correctly installed).

And welcome. Thumbs Up
 PAGODA  
Post #218724715th Nov 2020 7:14 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If the battery is good then it’s likely to need a software update. That was the issue I had on an MY15.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #218724915th Nov 2020 7:20 pm
DarrenC

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

pagoda wrote:
I have just upgraded to a MY16 Landmark from my 2006 V8 (miss that engine; the 3L sounds like a bag of spanners). Anyway, yes absolutely it should work. Everything should work. I had the stealer change the SS battery on my car before I took it and it's fine.

If the stealer is a long way away I'd suggest speaking to them and purchasing a new battery online (they aren't expensive) and changing it yourself and getting them to pick up the cost of the part. If that sorts it, you're set. If not, then you need to figure out what's wrong. But I'd start with the cheap and most convenient option first and go from there. (May also be worth checking the battery is correctly installed).

And welcome. Thumbs Up

Hi Pagoda,

Funny thing is, they have stated and I have paperwork to show that a new SS battery was fitted prior to car delivery !

Thanks
Darren

Post #218725315th Nov 2020 7:56 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I wonder if the D4 needs to be “told” that it’s had a new SS battery has been itted and if so, was this done? My FFRR and Mini definitely need to be programmed to accept a new battery.

Nothing is simple with vehicles now!

I assume you don’t have a LR Extended Warranty?

Last edited by LT on 15th Nov 2020 9:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #218726415th Nov 2020 8:40 pm
DarrenC

Hi LT,

You are not wrong there, and everything seems compicated these days. Thats why my may passion is old motorcycles (I own an RG500 and XT500), and they are simples Very Happy

I dont know if a reset was completed, but i will deffinately ask the question.

As fo the warranty, I bought the car from a large dealer, but not a LR dealer. I negotiated the price, and got an RAC Platimum warranty for 3-years (had this on a previous FFRR, and had no issues when using it for a claim).

Thanks
Darren

Post #218727515th Nov 2020 9:39 pm
LT

Hope you get it sorted and it’d just something simple. Thumbs Up

Post #218727715th Nov 2020 9:51 pm
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

DarrenC wrote:
pagoda wrote:

And welcome. Thumbs Up

Hi Pagoda,

Funny thing is, they have stated and I have paperwork to show that a new SS battery was fitted prior to car delivery !

Thanks
Darren

Yes, I got that from your first post. But that doesn't guarantee that (a) it was done, and (b) it was done properly.

I'd start by taking a quick look at the battery, check it's correctly installed and maybe you can see if there's a manufacturer date on it to verify the install. You could check the battery also if you have a fluke. Personally, I'd rule out the easy free stuff first.
 PAGODA  
Post #218729015th Nov 2020 10:21 pm
DarrenC

Thanks Pagoda,

You are 100% right. Start with the simple stuff first.

I will take a look tomorrow, make sure the ss battery is actually new, take some voltages, and make sure it is connected correctly. I am also reading that when changing this battery out (same as with the main battery), a BMS reset (battery management system) must be done, to tell the car it has a new battery. My gut feeling is that this probably wasnt done.

If I cannot see anything wrong, I will email the dealership and tell them that they have to get it sorted.

Thanks
Darren

Post #218729315th Nov 2020 10:29 pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have a MY16 Landmark from new and I have had similar issues.

Main Stealer couldn't remedy the problem so I went to a decent Indy.

Two new batteries fitted - If yours is still on its original factory fit battery I would say you are on borrowed time and should try to get that swapped out for sure.

However, there is also a known issue that is covered on a JLR technical bulletin that relates to needing to modify the wiring for the Battery Monitoring Module. You could get an Indy to validate that and then see if the Warranty or supplying dealer will cover it.

If its a clean motor and you are happy with it, then persevere as the Landmark is fabulous!

As another point, invest in a CTEK charger (the caravan club have an offer on at the moment) and buy one of Martins connectors from the forum shop if you have towing electrics. That way when you get a nice new battery you can keep it in tip-top condition.

Post #218730816th Nov 2020 12:23 am
DarrenC

Hi Froogle,

Thanks for the response. Nice to know you have the same car (even the colour is the same). Yes, I absolutely love it, and so I will be doing everything to get it sorted prior to handing it back.

As luck would have it, I have an excellent independent LR dealer very close to my house. I emailed them late last nioght, and they have already responded. I have asked for a couple of small extra pointers, but they seem to suggest that the symptoms I am seeing indicate the following:-

1. The new SS battery was not "coded" to the car.
2. The main battery is slowly giving up, and is more than likely the original which is now 4 years old.

Do you have any more information on the JLR TSB regarding the wire, as I can find nothing ?

Once I get the second response, I will be emailing the supplying dealer (non-LR), and I will be telling them what the local independent has stated, and I will be asking them to cover all costs. They have already stated that this should have been resolved prior to them supplying the car, and that "we will take care of it".

Hopefully, I can get a new main battery, get both fully coded to the car, and if not already done, get the TSB completed as well.

I will keep you updated

Thanks
Darren

Post #218734216th Nov 2020 10:14 am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Darren,

It sounds like you are making good progress. I don't have any more detail on the specific JLR technical bulletin other than the fault code that sent them towards it was B11DB-87 that pointed to the Battery Monitoring Module.

I hope it helps. Thumbs Up

Post #218735016th Nov 2020 10:51 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I replaced my small start/stop battery and did not do a Battery mgmt system reset, as several others have done on here and the eco light still went out immediately and SS started working immediately so I don’t think that ‘ coding’ is your issue.
Are you sure the battery has been replaced with a new, correct battery and all connected properly? Worth double checking. There can be a module fault that can cause this too, as has been suggested but simplist solutions first.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #218735116th Nov 2020 10:52 am
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I should have added that a failing main battery doesn’t cause the eco light to come on, although will affect whether SS works or not.
Cheers
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #218735316th Nov 2020 10:56 am
DarrenC

Froogle-Yorkshireman wrote:
Hi Darren,

It sounds like you are making good progress. I don't have any more detail on the specific JLR technical bulletin other than the fault code that sent them towards it was B11DB-87 that pointed to the Battery Monitoring Module.

I hope it helps. Thumbs Up

Thanks Froogle

Post #218735716th Nov 2020 11:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >