Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

National Luna dual battery system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stan99

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

I have a National Luna dual battery system which was installed in my TDV6SE in April 2008. The battery management system indicates that the voltage across the main battery terminals drops rapidly as soon as the engine is turned off. In fact the LED’s on the display will all go blank when the vehicle is standing overnight. The auxiliary battery, however, always indicates that it is fully charged.

This apparent voltage drop only started about eight months after the system was installed. Before that the main battery indicators looked to be within spec.

Landrover (Empangeni, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa) have helped me a lot in trying to ascertain the problem. They are certain that the battery is fine, and can’t find anything else wrong. I actually took my vehicle to National Luna in Johannesburg and they thoroughly checked the system. They also can’t find any fault.

Does anyone else have a National Luna dual battery system with a similar problem?

Post #54303931st Oct 2009 10:02 am
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I have an NL system but havnt experienced that problem - i had a problem a whiles back with the system not charging properly - it would seem that once it is all connected, the LAST thing you do is connect the small earth cable that goes to the control solenoid.

it may be worth disconnecting that and reconnecting to see if that helps - if you have already tried this then Im not much help I'm afraid Confused
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #54304431st Oct 2009 10:29 am
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Stan99

I have an 08 D3 TDV6 with a NL grey battery box. I haven't experienced this problem at all.

Doc
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #5450053rd Nov 2009 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I assume this is a safe thing to do, as it's something similar to what the NL system will do itself in order to charge the aux battery - with the engine off can you take the NL sensor lead off the aux battery +ve and instead connect it to the main battery +ve? This way I suspect both displays should be showing the main battery voltage...if they're now both blank the battery is on the way out; if they show a difference then the NL unit is faulty.

Thoughts? If you're nervous about connecting the aux lead to the main battery, then do so through a spare 0.5 amp fuse or something, but as the NL is designed to cross connect them internally anyway to allow charging, I can't see any problems with this test.

Anyone disagree?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #5450293rd Nov 2009 12:27 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

When you switch of the engine the car is still awake and no charge from the alternator can result in the indicator showing "low" especially if the follow me home lights are still on. Also the next morning getting in the car can show "low" battery as a lot of systems are preparing especially if the ignition is on without the engine running. Lock the car and when the lights are off , check through the window to see if the indicator is still showing low, if so, then I don't know. (I'm a poet and I didn't even knowit Wink )
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #5450413rd Nov 2009 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stan99

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Thanks for the comments - I'll try the suggestions.

Post #55146415th Nov 2009 5:03 pm
benedmonson

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

I basically have this same problem with my NL battery system! After parking overnight the main battery usually reads very low in the red, but the acc. battery is always on full to the top of the yellow or near?? I had the main Interstate battery tested several times and it is perfect. I love my dual battery system, but with I knew why this happens to the indacator???
 ben edmonson
photographer
telluride, co usa 

Post #55823130th Nov 2009 7:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >