Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Africa

Navigation maps for Africa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Herman

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Navigation maps for Africa

Does anyone know when we can expect to have maps for countries like Namibia & Botswana available for the Nav. system?

Post #8134530th Aug 2006 8:52 am
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

The answer might be to ask Navteq about that but my guess will be not before your next vehicle if ever ! Very Happy

Making those kind of maps is REALLY expensive and those maps would probably be out of date by the time they are out... You are talking about countries where the last maps are probably decade old ! I don't know anyone making new maps for those places right now. That is the same more or less all over Africa and quite a large number of places all over the world...

There are if I remember correctly only two main supplier of the kind of maps that the L.R/Denso, TomTom, ViaMichelin systems and their like uses. Navteq is one of them and the one L.R/Denso selected.

My guess is that if I was still living in an African country, I would use some kind of setup like the one I am showing on the picture beside...

That is a computer to do the preparation of the trip by selecting and copying the maps I will need and some handheld to actually use the map on a kind of moving map mode. I would certainly not get a door to door navigation with voice features but at least I should not get too lost in the bush...

Making the kind of digital maps car systems requires in countries where there is only a very low probability of buyers does not seem economically feasible. This is why, Navteq covers only 40 countries in the world. I guess that those 40 countries are mostly northern hemisphere countries... They are more or less saying so here : http://www.navteq.com/data/whatis.html
You can guess, looking at that link, where their offices are : http://www.navteq.com/data/database_coverage.html

Thus for Botswana and Namibia, or the rest of Africa or Southern America or even Eastern europe and Russia, I would not hold my breath...

What I don't understand is why L.R is selling those kind of navigation systems in countries where they know they cannot hope to have any coverage from their digital map suppliers... Confused
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #8136030th Aug 2006 9:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Herman

Maps for Africa

Thanks Gurvan for the detailed reply.

Seems to me I'll have to find a place on the dash where a few holes could be drilled to fit my Garmin 276C...

Post #821152nd Sep 2006 9:04 am
Gurvan

Frankly, I fear so unless someone proves me wrong !

Which I would like... Wink Good maps for Africa would be a boon for the countries too...
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #821282nd Sep 2006 12:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Howzit Herman

No need to drill holes in the dash, just pop into your local Garmin dealer, and get a dashmount for your particular GPS. THese come with 2 types of double-sided sticker to attach to any flattish surface. I have a 76S (old, but trustworthy) and stuck the mounting kit ion the dash with their semi-permanent sticker-pad, and after many miles it is still firmly there, but I know I can just peel it off if need be. Will post some pics if you like.

Post #822293rd Sep 2006 7:55 am
Herman

GPS Mounting

Thanks, Baben - it would be nice to see what your set-up looks like. The Garmin 276c is a bit bulkier than my old Garmin II and the mounting would have to be quite sturdy.

Post #828695th Sep 2006 9:04 pm
Baben

Well the 76S is no midget device either, have a look at these:

Post #833247th Sep 2006 8:59 am
Gurvan

Nice setup... Wink

Have a look into what you can do with TTQV/PathAway and a SIRF III compliant GPS... That is quite impressive and I had my Geko loose signal where in the same conditions my setup with those kind of GPS Receiver was still quite efficient.

I fear that those SIRF III compliant GPS will overcome Garmin quite soon unless they come with something much better !

I would not go buying a Garmin right now... Wink
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #833407th Sep 2006 9:50 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

If you have a 276 you can upload the following - their maps are used extensively by the SA offroad community

http://www.tracks4africa.com/

heine

Post #1282827th Feb 2007 12:47 pm
Baben

Howzit Heine

I am using T4A on my Garmin, and it's great. It would be nice to be able to load this type of data into the Land Rover nav system though. With mine, once you get off the map, navigation won't operate anymore. Plus our maps of SA are so old, streets that have been around for 6 years are still not on the map

Post #1282847th Feb 2007 12:56 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

The stealers told me that the maps will be updated anually - guess that's just another land rover myth .

The maps are apparantly from Maptech - who are the same guys that do city select for garmin . Wonder if they could help

Post #13041116th Feb 2007 9:08 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

I seriously doubt that the Disco3 is the right car to take into afrika far away from LR service centers (with disco3 experience and sales), from discovery 3 spare parts and from skilled electicians.

In case of trouble with your car, it could become very frustrating to get it fixed...

I guess a car with a chassis and an engine is better than a brain with wheels on safari.

Post #13041516th Feb 2007 9:16 am
Aubrey

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The Garmin mount is crap. The one supplied with the 276C is a marine mount and you need to drill 3 holes. I have been using a RAM mount on my 276C for the D3 and what a lovely piece of kit. Would never have bought any Garmin mount if I tried this earlier.

BTW, I have the 512 Meg card and T4A and Streemaps all live happliy in there Surprised

Aubrey

Post #13101418th Feb 2007 4:11 pm
Marthin

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Updated Navigation DVD for South Africa

An updated DVD for the Land Rover navigation sysytem was release by Land Rover South Africa in December 2006. According to our local Land Rover dealer, the update is comprehensive and includes "all the mapped roads in South Africa". I found the following press release on the new Navteq database on the web:

Quote:
Navteq, a leading global provider of digital map data for location-based solutions and vehicle navigation, has announced a full coverage map for South Africa. Included in the data set is over 450 000 km of roads, enabling customers using the digital map to create navigation solutions for the entire country. The full coverage product, which reaches approximately 100% of South Africa’s population, includes over 25 000 points of interest including high value listings such as approximately 3900 restaurants and 2100 hotels. Customers integrating the map into consumer and business applications will have access to data representing over 4955 named places. The company’s database now includes virtually all navigable and named roads in South Africa, with full verification of all functional class one through four roads. These functional classes range from high volume, controlled access roads connecting urban areas to roads connecting major business streets with residential roads. The company’s field office located in Johannesburg employs a team of geographic analysts, enabling it to continue to expand the population of the country covered at its highest and most complete database specification.

Contact Irvine Aitcheson, Navteq, Tel (011) 467-1432, [email protected]

The DVD cost about R1 750 (about US $245) and is available from all South African Land Rover dealers.

Post #13249823rd Feb 2007 10:30 am
Aubrey

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Been there ...bought it. Claims are crap ...... have yet to find any new roads ........ well, that is general Gauteng in any case ....should have rather spent money on upgrading the Garmap. Rolling Eyes

Post #13256123rd Feb 2007 3:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >