Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

navigation system for central and eastern europe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 6 <123456
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thank you for this. I bought the disc becuase I was tired of havinga completely blank screen in the centre of the the dashboard and it is better than nothing. To be fair the coverage for Warsaw seems good, the system works well and if I move off the chosen route it very quickly starts directing me along another one.

It is frustrating to be caught between Land Rover and Navteq in this way. I suppose Navteq would say that Land Rover specified only a certain level of data. Land Rover would no doubt say that given the level of sales in this region it's not worth their paying for a greater level of detail (of course, that hasn't stopped Land Rover selling sat navs as options in the vehicles at 10 times the cost of generic versions available at your local electrical retailer!).

Post #26122319th Feb 2008 9:40 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

captain_sugar wrote:
if you want to check what is the situation in Poland, here is the link to the map reporter:
http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-exte...bmitDur.do

Does the map reported show what is on the latest disc, or is it 6 or 9 months behind?
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3058403rd Jun 2008 11:21 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

In the time of Julius Ceasar, they had more paved roads than on the Navteq dics for Czech Republic!
so they are more than 9 months behind....

to be serious : check the previuos page in this thread and you will see a map of the same place in Pardubice, a medium sized czech city both from the map reporter and from the disc.
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #3058543rd Jun 2008 11:45 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

captain_sugar wrote:
In the time of Julius Ceasar, they had more paved roads than on the Navteq dics for Czech Republic!
so they are more than 9 months behind....

HA!

Thanks Captain.

I did look at the previous pages, it seemed to me that the disc was a long way behind the website but I wanted to ask. I have a Garmin satnav unit (Navteq supplied maps) which is excellent in the Czech republic, at least where I have been. The Navteq site shows the same as my Garmin, but if the land rover disc is crippled with missing information then I don't think we will bother to upgrade from our old disc!

I will have to look up Zajickov and Jermanice when I am in the car later, they are always a good test Wink
 Disco3 is now gone but not forgotten. Waiting for Disco6 with full aluminium construction weight reduction and hybrid engine...  
Post #3058853rd Jun 2008 12:32 pm
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

There seems to be another, new DVD. Or better a set of FOUR dvd's...
The map preview doesn't indicate the coverage level in shades of blue anymore and they do not indicate the %, number of kilometers or poi anymore so impossible to compare with the previous versions....

Does anybody have this set?
 Some people get by
With a little understanding
Some people get by
With a whole lot more
I don�t know
Why you gotta be so undemanding 

Post #3300677th Aug 2008 2:40 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

I bought an update to my Garmin (also NavTeq) maps, and the level of detail in the Czech Republic is a lot better on the latest maps, most of western Czech now seems to be mapped in detail down to most small villages.

I have not upgraded the D3 because of this and other threads that the Land Rover discs are missing detail, so its interesting that a new set is now available.

Now I have up to date Garmin, not sure I will spend the money on the land rover disc, as the UK coverage on our 2006 disc is ok, its just Europe and Czech in particular that seems to need an update.

Captain - have you asked NavTeq perhaps?

EDIT: HMM, so two updates available:

Western Europe

New! Version 2008 – 2009

One DVD covering 17 Western European countries and providing nearly seven million kilometres of road network, around 200,000 of which have been added since the last version – don’t get left behind...
£ 149.00 *

Eastern and Western Europe

New! Version 2008 – 2009

A combined Eastern and Western European map available on four DVDs and featuring an impressive total of nearly eight million kilometres of road network, nearly half a million of which is new – don’t get left behind...
£ 199.00 *

You are talking about the 4 disc set with Eastern Europe, Western Europe seems to include the Czech Republic though as well!
Post #3300707th Aug 2008 2:45 pm
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

It is very annoying that they do not make clear whether the E. European maps have been improved since the version which came out only six months ago. I certainly do not feel the urge to buy another set yet.

Post #3300757th Aug 2008 3:13 pm
baart

Poland 2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Barolo BlackLR4

AFAIK v categorization of roads wasn't improved
- and that was main problem of EE maps
 | Il boit pour oublier qu'il vit
Il dort pour oublier qu'il boit
C'est un bien triste
Un bien triste sort |

Post #3303188th Aug 2008 10:55 am
alanvsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have just driven from the UK to Ukraine and back, using the "latest" Western and Eastern Europe Discs. Everything was fine until I went over the Polish/Ukraine border. The map for Ukraine has very little detail - just the major connecting roads but........

it is so out of date that most of the time I was "driving" across fields with the "road" shown some miles (Kms) to one side. Luckily, I had a paper map also (1:750,000) but it is also very out of date. I suspect that the maps (Nav and paper) are taken from the old Soviet era and much has changed since then, especially as the railways shown on both were accurate - the roads however have been re-located.

Does anyone know if other systems (Garmin, TomTom etc) have more up to date maps for Ukraine?

On the home front, I have noticed that locally, newish features that were on the previous discs are no longer on this "latest" version! So, until I venture to Ukraine again, I have put the "old" Western and Eastern Europe disks (with no Ukraine coverage) back in to give a more up to date UK coverage.

A rather sad state of affairs, but what can one expect?

Post #3816491st Dec 2008 5:51 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The Eastern and Western Europe disks are on 2 disks not 4 ...its a typo on navtec's site.
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #3816571st Dec 2008 6:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 6 <123456
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >